Quantcast

Dirty Tricks: Rising Credit Card Junk Fees

I get the daily calls of wanting me to switch CC processors and with MUCH (misplaced) confidence, I refused to have a discussion with any of these guys, because I already had great rates.   Then, I had a persistent one call me back and ask why I didn't want to talk.  She said enough right things that I let the salesman come visit me.  

My rates were and supposedly were going to get better over time as I built up history.  Original Quote:

• Credit Card Rate - 0.05% + Interchange (AMEX 0.055%)
  • Debit Card Rate - 0.05% + Interchange
  • Credit Transaction fee - 0.05 cents per transaction
  • Debit Transaction Fee - 0.05 cents per transaction
  • PCI Compliance-$9.95/monthly
  • Chargeback fee-$10.00 (VISA, MC, Discover) $30.00 (AMEX)
  • Paper Statement-$5.95 monthly (online statements free)

The other guy comes in and tells me that my current processor increased my rates and added numerous junk fees.    The rate raised to 0.25% for most cards and .75% for AMEX and now have a $34.95 platform fee and numerous other fees.   At this point, I stand to save $250/month minimum by switching CC vendors.     I did confirm that on day 1, my bills had way fewer fees.  The bills also stated that they were raising rates along the way, so they were disclosed and allowed by contract.  I'm halfway thru a 3 year contract with a $495 cancellation fee.   This is what I'm paying now with the same processor: 

• Credit Card Rate - 0.25% + Interchange (AMEX 0.75%)
  • Debit Card Rate - 0.05% + Interchange
  • PCI Compliance-$9.95/monthly
  • Annual PCI Audit Fee - $99
  • Chargeback fee-$10.00 (VISA, MC, Discover) $30.00 (AMEX)
  • Paper Statement-$5.95 monthly (online statements free)
  • New Junk Fees - $41
  • To be clear, the interchange fees don't change on either deal.  We are only dealing with CC processor markup fees and junk fees.   The 0.05% is a markup fee over interchange.   

The new deal is:

• Credit Card Rate - 0.05% + Interchange (all cards including AMEX)
  • Debit Card Rate - 0.00% + Interchange
  • PCI Compliance - $0 (with a successful audit and $9.95/month penalty without one)
  • Annual PCI audit fee - ??
  • Chargeback fees - $25.00 (VISA, MC, Discover, AMEX) - refundable if you win
  • Monthly Charge - $10.00

As best I can tell, it looks legitimate.   I'll be carefully reading the new contract tomorrow.   So, the real question is whether or not I'm switching from one liar to another liar?     This second one is telling me that my contract will have the rates guaranteed and locked in.   If I see the right things in writing, I'll be switching.  Will recoup my cancellation / startup costs in 3 months.

I guess the moral is get an annual checkup from a competitor. 

Supposedly these rates are available as a result of being low-risk from my transaction history (or it's just marketing-speak).  I don't know.    My original deal was reasonable, but it isn't any longer.   My plans were to wait for the 3 year contract to end before shopping around.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By BNC173
      We are a small rural shop; my guys are on salary and average 55-60 hours a week. Between the salary & bonus plan I think we are fair on our pay. We only charge 65.00/hour for mech work but our main shop is a tire shop, so we don't get into much other stop besides brakes or light mech work. The shop stays very busy that we some nights must stay late to get everyone taken care of. 1 employee focuses on the mech. part & helps with tires, the other is mainly tire & office sales & paperwork. There are a few times a month that the tire guy will need to do an afterhours call from anything from a jump start to a tractor tire repair. I want to compensate him for his extra work but not sure how to figure something simple & fair. I also don't want to make it something that they will start running more after ours because they will get more pay then if they were able to go out & do during reg business hours. Anyone with idea what they do hate to give profit away we still need to pay for the truck & fuel?
    • By carmcapriotto
      Craig Caudill, Manager at Fine Tuned Automotive Erie, CO
      Key Talking Points
      Lean- eliminating waste in processes. Waste is anything that doesn't add value to the customer’s experience 7 wastes in lean- motion, inventory, waiting, defects, overproduction, transportation, over-processing Motion- excessive motion techs/advisors being away from the work station. Using instant messaging on the shop management system for instant streamline communication Inventory- excessive inventory isn't bringing value to customers. Has to turn over so it's not wasted money Waiting- technicians input in system precisely parts needed and update lead time in the management system Defects- categorize comebacks Overproduction- doing more than what customer requested Transportation- the movement of vehicles in the shop. Accurate diagnosis first time and identify every issue Over-processing- don't develop processes that are overly complex. Simplify everything to key elements. Don’t overthink or over the process. 5 S event- sort (take out everything you have and see if it's necessary to keep) set and order (essential items are identified and set in order. Tape off areas where items go and have a picture of how that area is supposed to look) shine (after everything is in its place then you clean) standardized (building processes and SOP’s) sustain People don't want to be questioning what they should do- build a structured culture Parts are labeled specific to parts suppliers Improving profitability- waste is time and money. Customers are willing to pay for the value you offer them How to start? Don’t be intimidated. Do research on 5 S and start seeing benefits. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee

Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day.
      Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click.
      When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, // you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review.
      Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/carm to learn more.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Panel:
      AJ Nealey, Nealey’s Auto Service, Edgewater, MD John Klarkowski, AutoPro Auto Service, Brooklyn Park, MN Talking Points:
      Discover the number of cars that pass by your location. Search for Car Count in your County Find a state or county website They may update the numbers yearly Number of cars, trucks, etc AJ started with a DIY sign His new sign cost him $42K The company he hired did the permitting AJ justified at $700 per month because his referrals justified the investment If he gets 3 new customers a month. Sign pays for it. His driveby referrals doubled Lights up at night AJ can change the sign wording from anywhere Seasonal message If it is going to rain that day he can put up a message on wiper blades AJ has over-communicated his brand message and is totally consistent John started with not much money and created signs on a budget The old-style sign with the letters needed to be changed 15’ up in the air John’s is located off the path with only 4,000 cars a day going by Installed digital sign and he saw within 8 months an increase in car count of 20% People said they discovered him because of his sign Digital signs grab attention His signs change every 20 seconds Check with your local ordinances The messages are their unique selling points The messages are conversation starters John started to change his clientele from the shop he purchased. A strong reason for the branding and signage change Product packaging shows professionalism John’s investment is prox $15K for his digital sign He went with monochrome. A single color AJ went with color in his digital sign Make your branding professional that may include a new sign More car count More professional customers John $120K increase in revenue because of his sign and branding investment  
      Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Buy me a coffee

Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day.
      Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click.
      When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, // you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review.
      Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/carm to learn more.
    • By carmcapriotto
      Stephane Grabina, BMW Excluservice, Rockville, MD, and Scott Pelava, Lonsdale Auto Works, Lonsdale, MN share the reasons they keep their floors clean. They use a commercial floor scrubber. Learn how and why these two successful shop owners have invested in keeping their shop floors clean.

Comment from Kevin Eckler:
      Great episode and I loved the promoting of a clean shop. We picked up two 5-year-old floor scrubbers and a floor burnisher made by minute man that retails for almost $10000 apiece through an auction where a local school was updating their equipment. We paid less than $300 per machine and the only expense that we had was to install new batteries. They all work absolutely fantastic and it was a great deal. The toughest thing was finding a place to store them but they get used very frequently and the floors are significantly cleaner than the shop feels brighter and the guys have a better attitude because of it.
      Things to consider when purchasing a floor scrubber Is to find out the proper kind of soap to use to clean your floors and what to do with the wastewater when you are done so that you are not polluting when you dispatch the dirty water. Certain soaps break down the oil too fine to be caught in an oil-water separator and oftentimes there is a large amount of sediment that collects into the machine when you are done. Emptying the machine into a smaller holding tank to separate off the settlement and the oil and then dispensing the water from there helps to not unknowingly polluted the local water sources and get yourself in legal trouble. Just something to consider. ~Kevin
      Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Buy me a coffee
    • By mikerisich
      If you want to become a successful independent auto repair shop, it’s essential that you have your sights on not only developing a long-term strategy for expanding your customer base but also pivoting in a way that has sustaining momentum. 
      The key to accomplishing this strategy is not by focusing on gigantic steps, but by achieving a steady stream of small efforts, which means using effective and trusted tools that are specifically designed for you as an auto repair shop owner. Fully utilizing your Google My Business (GMB) page is an efficient way to grow your business and we can tell you why you need to be using it to be competitive. 
      GMB is a free and completely verified online listing service that uses best practices for getting new customers in the door. Are you the type of business owner who uses an online marketing and branding strategy? If not, you should!
      LEARN MORE about how to optimize your GMB page.

• Our Sponsors