Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.

Hello ...... I'm new to this forum so bear with me lol

I've been in the automotive industry my entire life, working in retail environments, small family owned shops and a few large new car dealers. My wife and I are trying to open our own place and are currently in the middle of financial projections. Part of that is estimating our fixed and variable costs. We are in NH and I've been getting rough estimates for liability insurance for the business from a number of different Insurance companies. These estimates are all over the map! Anywhere from $900 a year to almost $6000! My question for the forum is ....... does anyone have a realistic idea of what this coverage should cost?

Thanks

Dve

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      NEWS BREAK: Workers at a Mavis Discount Tire shop falsified records to make it look as if they completed brake work on a limousine before it crashed and killed 20 in Schoharie, New York, last year, when in actuality the work was never performed, according to the shop's former manager.
      Below is a link to the article:
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/10/09/new-york-limo-crash-mavis-discount-tire-shop-falsified-brake-records/3920945002/
    • By Joe Marconi
      As a result of COVID-19, we are seeing more and more businesses install plastic shields at their service and receptionist counters and desks.  What are your thoughts. Will you install the shield, have done it or is it a no?

• By Joe Marconi
      Sometimes I feel like I’m alone on a deserted island. I charge for diagnostic analysis. Why? Because I know what cost is to buy the tools, equipment, information systems, training and pay a technician to professionally and accurately diagnosis a check engine light, air bag, ABS or any other complicated problem. But, I feel a lot of shops are willing to give this up in hopes to get the work. In my opinion all they are doing is digging themselves in a hole.

And, I have heard all the reasons:
      “If the customer gives me the job, I waive the analysis”.
      “I package the analysis into the repair, so the customer does not see the diag charges”
      “I will lose customers if I charge analysis”
      And the best yet: “It only took me 10 minutes to diag the O2 sensor, so I can’t charge diag labor”.

Waiving the analysis is the same as a doctor waiving the x-rays and blood tests. They don’t do it, we should not either. I will also challenge those who “package” the analysis into the repair. You mean to tell me that after taking 1 hour to find a faulty mass air sensor, you will add the 1 hour to the 5 minutes it takes to install a new mass air? Come on, we all know the truth.

And let’s address the 10 minutes it took to find the failed O2 sensor. Did it really take 10 minutes? NO, it took years of training, years of experience, the investment in the right equipment and the investment in the right information systems. Why we sometimes diminish what we are truly worth is amazing. No other profession does that.

Sorry for being so tough on this topic, but business is hard enough these days and people question everything. If shops don’t realize what they are giving up, it makes it bad for all of us.

Please tell me what you think. Agree? Disagree? Or any other thoughts....
    • By Joe Marconi
      I have been contacted by many shop owners about the decision to close or not. In most cases across the nation, Auto Repair Professionals are considered essential workers. Which means that we can stay open for business.  However, even though we are essential, I personally will not demand my employees to come to work. If business fails because of this virus, it will fail in the short term.  We will all eventually find a way to come back and rebuild our businesses.  
      Things are changing by the hour, and that makes our decisions as leaders even more difficult. I don’t want to get sucked into panic, but I don’t want to turn a blind eye to the fact that we are in uncharted territories and that we are all learning from this crisis together.
      The decision to close your business is yours.  There is no wrong or right decision here.  The safety and well-being of our families are our number one concern.  If it makes it any easier, make your next decisions from the heart, not from a business standpoint.  Be strong, be a leader, and know that we will get though this.
      When the dust begins to settle, we will have learned a lot about business and even more about who we are are as a culture and a society. 
      I cannot tell you what I am doing tomorrow.  I plan on having a meeting with my staff, and a decision will be made to stay open, cut staff, cut hours or perhaps another scenario will surface.  I will keep you updated and try to bring a little sanity to everyone during these crazy times.
      You are all leaders; you are automotive shop owners. You are the toughest of the toughest.  I know you and I will prevail through these troubling times and I look forward to the future when we can all look back and say…”We may it through, and we’re better off for it.”
    • By AutoShopOwner
      As a growing number of states issue emergency orders to close non-essential businesses, the U.S. government has issued guidance declaring that automotive repair and maintenance are “essential” functions.     
      A March 19 memo from the Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) includes automotive repair and maintenance employees in a list of “essential critical infrastructure workers.”
      “If you work in a critical infrastructure industry, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, such as health care services and pharmaceutical and food supply, you have a special responsibility to maintain your normal work schedule,” CISA Director Christopher Krebs says in the memo.
      The list of essential critical infrastructure workers includes “employees who repair and maintain vehicles, aircraft, rail equipment, marine vessels and the equipment and infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers,” as well as “employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including truck drivers, bus drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect infrastructure (including those that require cross-jurisdiction travel).”

As a growing number of states issue emergency orders to close non-essential businesses, the U.S. government has issued guidance declaring that automotive repair and maintenance are “essential” functions.     
      A March 19 memo from the Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) includes automotive repair and maintenance employees in a list of “essential critical infrastructure workers.”
      “If you work in a critical infrastructure industry, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, such as health care services and pharmaceutical and food supply, you have a special responsibility to maintain your normal work schedule,” CISA Director Christopher Krebs says in the memo.
      The list of essential critical infrastructure workers includes “employees who repair and maintain vehicles, aircraft, rail equipment, marine vessels and the equipment and infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers,” as well as “employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including truck drivers, bus drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect infrastructure (including those that require cross-jurisdiction travel).”
      For additional information, contact Aaron Lowe, senior vice president, government and regulatory affairs, at [email protected] or Tom Tucker, director, state affairs, at [email protected]
      Source: https://www.counterman.com/automotive-repair-service-deemed-essential/

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors