Quantcast

FINALLY: learned first hand- the right tech makes ALL the difference

I started out cheap, I price things cheap, and I used cheap labor.... until now. Hired an ASE master tech whom I thought was out of my ability to pay.

Last week was his first week and he knocked out 63.5 hours of work!!!!!!! Previous record to that was like 43 hours? Had the highest grossing week in 2 years of business. I didn't give him 63 hours of work.. HE FOUND IT. My car count wasn't different, still the same customers, just a different attitude.

He brought his prodigy so I took 2 of my old guys to my new shop and hired these 2. We open at 8:30 am and expect techs to get there around 8:20, they show up at the shop at 6:45 am.... I had to give them a key lol

Haven't been excited about my business in a while. I pay him flat rate- he was making $28 before but I got him at $25 and promised him $28 in 2 months. I think a big factor was me being able to hire his friend as well. So far so good. Looking back, cheap labor ended up costing me more money with comebacks and inexperience.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable. 
  • Similar Topics

• By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Let's talk about voice assistants for employee efficiency. Technicians need quick and reliable access to accurate data for servicing vehicles. What if they could stay in their bay and ask 'Hey Ortho' to check fluid types and receive a response within seconds? Join Eric Turkington, Vice President of Growth, and Kim Conti, Vice President of Product, as they discuss Ortho, the next high tech tool for the automotive industry. Eric Turkington, VP of Growth, Ortho Kim Conti, VP of Product, Ortho Show Notes
      heyortho.com  Voice assistant for technicians The efficiency of data access in the technology industry Accessing OEM database The awake word ‘Hey Ortho’ Focused on loading the right vehicle for the technician, and in some cases even integrated with shop management systems The vast majority of people who actually do use voice tech in their personal lives are actually doing it to generate efficiency Connected to the cloud, to get real-time information Ortho has 150 specific questions to ask- specifications around breakers, repair fluid types, and fluid. Future context- service advisor using Ortho for recommended maintenance Soft keyboard built-in
      Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partner: Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Many shop owners have increased their labor rates in the past year or so. That is great news. Now, what's your next move? 
      Anyone who knows me knows that, in my opinion, in general, we have been too cheap for too long.  But, determining your labor rate is not the only consideration to attaining a profitable business. 
      What about productivity, efficiency, keeping expenses in line, gross profit, and net profit? 
      What are you doing to ensure you are meeting the financial needs of your business and also paying your employees the money they desire? 

• By carmcapriotto
      On Record with Lauren Fix as she discusses the used car market and the importance of car maintenance.
      Lauren Fix, Car Coach Reports,  Total Car Score Podcast, is an automotive expert and analyst based in Buffalo, NY. She has written three books on automobiles. She has appeared on CNN, Fox News, Newsmax TV, CNBC, and USA Radio’s Daybreak USA show. Lauren's previous episodes HERE
      Show Notes:  
      Car Coach Reports Prior to covid selling cars: 17.5 million vs 13.7 million now. Average car profit to manufacturer: 10K...4 million sales lost People are buying out their car lease now Dealerships have 30% retention for car repair Repossessions are increasing- people bought cars during COVID, inflation and recession “Doing maintenance now will save you money down the road” Which cars can last 300K miles? Iseecars.com  “Never invest more in a car than it’s worth” USAmotorjobs  
      Connect with the Podcast:

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:

Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      For the first time in a VERY LONG time, I see a lot of positive news with regard to labor rates.  More and more shop owners and managers are crunching their numbers and increasing their labor rates to better ensure their companies achieves a profit and also to be able to pay their employees what they deserve. 
      Profit is needed in order to build for the future and to be able to attract quality people. 
      I really think that this is perhaps the best time in our recent history to revisit your labor rates and bottom line and adjust your rates accordingly.  
      Have you adjusted your labor rates recently, or plan on it? 

• By nptrb, in Automotive Industry,

By nptrb, in Automotive Industry,

• Our Sponsors