Quantcast

Robert Dickens

Questions around Oil Intercepts

Good Day

I am currently opening my first shop here in Canada. I have been looking for months for the right location as our market is very hot, that said every location that I have seen thus far does not have any oil intercepts. Ontario by-law states that it is mandatory.

however the vast majority of shop that I have seen do not have any installed. furthermore I would think installing a small under sink unit assuming there is no drains in the shop floor should cover this law.

How do all of you deal with this by-law? do all of you bite the bullet and spend the 10s of thousands and install a in ground unit or do you limit the work you offer your customers or is there another way around the law while meeting the sewer regulations.

I know most if not all of you are in the USA, that said Ontario Canada laws are very similar to those in California

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Debating Opening 2 Bay Shop, Solo Operation

)Here's the situation, and if there is anything else you'd like to know I'd be glad to offer up any information I have. I'm a 10+ year tech, both automotive and heavy truck/equipment repair. I have a good friend who owns a two bay shop with a large waiting area and office. He has been letting me work out of his building as it is up for lease. He found someone that wants to lease the building to open a second location for his successful used car dealership, but he has no use for the shop portion as he outsources his work. I've been offered to lease the shop portion, 10 of 32 parking spots, and share the waiting room/lounge for $500 per month. One bay has a 9,000lb lift, the other bay an oil change pit. There is already an industrial compressor there, a back room for a desk and storage, a coolant flush machine, differential fill machine, and a trans flush machine. I have as many hand tools as I need to get going, and a Snap On diagnostic scanner. I have yet to get quoted insurance prices, but have researched NYS Registered Repair Shop requirements. I really think I can make something work with the low overhead, and I am in a position in my life (36, single, no children, no house) that I can scrape by financially while I build things up for a few years. I have good credit. I have a brother and several friends (technicians) who are able to help for minimal cost on an as needed basis, as well as an accountant in the family to take care of that side of things. Ideally the plan would be to get things rolling and as soon as possible fill the oil change pit/pour concrete in preparation for a second lift, as that's where the bottleneck would be I figure. The other benefit is that the used car dealer agreed to allow me to do his work, and he plans on having roughly 20 cars on the lot at any given time. I also have another used car dealer who brings me his work, roughly 3 cars per week. I live in an area where there is not a ton of money, as in a high percentage of people drive 10yr old or so cars. Any advice? I really want to make a go of this but I am doing as much research as I can to be as educated as I can before pulling the trigger. I appreciate anything you might be able to add, and I am reading through many posts as it is just to garner whatever knowledge I can from those with experience. I should also add I have absolutely no issue working insane amounts of hours (70,80), as I do that already. I have always wanted to work for myself and someday make some money for me instead of making it for others. 

By JBach151, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 10 replies
    • Finally opening the shop

After years of work to get to this point, we are finally opening the doors to my new shop on Monday.   I did a small friends and family test on Friday.  We stubbed our toes on all procedures but the actual shop work.   It was horrible, but a great learning experience.  Most issues were procedural in nature, so this weekend was procedure repair.   We really weren't ready to open, but it needed to happen.   Still not ready on all fronts.  My website is built, but awaiting my detailed review to go online.  It'll happen in the next day or so.    We're still buying shop tools.   Many are in, but I wanted to let my staff be part of the tool choices.  (Yes, we're going to have to pare back some of their big wish list). Hiring is still ongoing.  I had my 3 critical positions covered for a while now, but I still have more left to hire. I chose Protractor as my SMS.  I'm mostly happy with this decision.  My biggest gripe is that the software is unforgiving of mistakes and new users make many mistakes.   I now need to learn how to undo my mistakes so that the accounting part remains accurate.  Today, my entire computer network went down and it took us over 2 hours to get it back online.  Next on the list is to practice recovery procedures. One of my major marketing spend items was to be on a busy corner.  It appears that this may indeed work out for us.   We serviced about 9 cars on Friday and turned away about 15 drive-up customers.   Have 1 appointment booked for tomorrow.   Wish me luck!    

By bantar, in General Automotive Discussion

• 6 replies
    • Location, Location.... Location?

So we are looking at moving our shop to a really nice shop here in town that has some amenities that we are very excited about but I got to talking with the landlord about the past few shops that had been in there and he told me that he didn't think this location could sustain a $70-80 labor rate. He thought that was probably why the last shop didn't stay busy enough to keep the doors open.   I have always thought that while location can be a great plus that it really truly depends on how you package things and how well you do with marketing and advertising. Ive always seen that good customers will travel a little bit just to come to a shop they like.   What do you all think? How much value should I put in what the landlord was saying? How much does location truly have to do with a shops success? How far will customers travel to come to a good quality shop they love?

By ncsvoboda7, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 24 replies
    • Opening on Saturdays

We are currently not open on Saturdays, but I'm thinking about it. I wonder how many of you are open on Sat and how it works for you, what your thoughts are. I've always appreciated the model of having a business that was closed evenings and weekends, and it's nice for the employees. However, we're trying to maintain a higher level of gross sales with more employees and I'm trying to keep an open mind. I went from 2 techs and a lube tech and one service advisor with a CRM, to 3 techs plus lube tech and two service advisors on May 1st. We've done well for the summer, but I'm nervous about keeping everyone busy through the slower season. Also, going forward with the challenges we'll face in coming years I'm wondering if being open on Sat will give us an advantage. Welcome any input.

By gandgautorepair, in General Automotive Discussion

• 18 replies
    • Am I crazy or ambitious? Or both? Looking at opening 3rd location, just opened 2nd 3 weeks ago...

Long story short, been in business about 2 years and started mobile. Current location for about a year, just opened up a second location about 3 weeks ago- HUGE step for me. In my area, auto shop locations are REALLY REALLY RARE. There'll be months before a single shop will pop up for lease. Well.. I was looking for auto equipment on craigslist and stumbled upon a listing of a shop moving and selling all his lifts. Found the location on loopnet- 5 bays, previous business extremely successful, great location, great price too.... 1st location hit record sales this past week, 2nd new location held its own (divided by week, came out on top after expenses). I got both stores running self sufficiently. I am pretty much maxed out and I hate taking out loans but I have a line of credit available.  Am I crazy to want to do this? 

By Jay Huh, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 37 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors