Quantcast

New Shop Location

Was wondering if anyone has ever done a pre market analysis before moving shops? How to do you estimate customer retention (from 1 shop to the other) and estimate the new customers you will gain at the new location?

We have been at our current location for 30+ years but in the last several years we have been on a month to month lease. Currently we have a large customer base and are within a few miles of a local university and we are within a few blocks of a wealthier neighborhood so customers can drop their car off and walk home.

We don't want to voluntarily relocate but we are also slow to put money into the outside of the building since we have no guarantee to be here next month. I have been keeping my eyes open for shops within the area for the last several years just to be able to have ideas and unfortunately there are few to no available shops but one of our customers came to me last week asking me to rent a 6 bay shop from her (we currently have 3 bays). The shop is road front on a busy main street but entrance and exit could be a little tricky in rush hour traffic. Otherwise the location offers great visibility.

The price she mentioned was a about the same or a little less than what we are paying now and she even offered to do 6 months at a reduced rate just to get us in. My #1 hesitation is moving (about 10 min away) and losing our customer base and having to rebuild. I really would like to ride out our current lease as long as possible because of the great location however; I would also like to be able to be ahead of the bullet incase the landlord comes calling. The owner of the other building also mentioned that she is going to be putting it on the market for lease next month so I don't want to lose that as an option if and incase the current location is sold. I even thought about renting and staffing the second location to establish a customer base and if our current shop is lost, merging into the other location but I would still like to be able to estimate the potential at the new location.

Any thoughts, experiences or ideas?

I'm interested in this topic. We will most likely be relocating as well to a much bigger location that is about 6 times bigger then our location now, however it is about 15 minutes away from here. I think it will do wonders for our commercial tire business as it is located close to a major 4 lane highway, however I'm looking at my retail side as pretty much a new start up.

Moving? Do your marketing early. There's an old thing in advertising that you've got to 'touch' people 7 times before they really 'see' your ad. Don't think moving and letting your customer know the week before is going to work.

Get your details down.. and provide SIMPLE AND CLEAR DETAILS about date and all that. You WILL have to remind people several times... and just because 'they' say 7 times... doesn't mean it's going to happen in 7.

I did my own email campaign giving away a freebie that still got subscribers after 9 messages. Go figure.

Hope this helps!
Matthew Lee

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable.