Quantcast

Solo mechanic

Go to solution Solved by HarrytheCarGeek,

Hi, a friend of mine was working as a one man garage until a recent workplace accident. I had been trying to help to organise the shop better so he wasn't dealing with constant interruptions (with little success).

The accident was caused by trying to do too much at once resulting in working on a car in an unsafe manner.

I've talked to a number of one man garages recently and it seems they all struggle in a similar fashion.

So, my question is this.... How best to run a one man business. There seems to be little interest in joining forces with another one man setup.

So, how/when to make appointments, schedule work, order parts, get paid etc

I'm looking at Google docs to see if there's any way to put an appointment calender into action.

Not even sure what are the real problems faced by a one man shop...Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• Solution

Hi, Vinny!

Running a one man shop was the hardest thing for me to do! It's insane the discipline and organization you must follow to stay sane and successful.

Here is the secret to success, and it's so simple you will dismiss it out of hand because it is so simple to be true.

It's all about your way of thinking, change how you look at things and think about them.

1. Fear of losing out. You don't have to take all the work all the time.

Customers are looking for a reliable, trustworthy mechanic. Be honest, let them know you are a one man shop, and hold them to a higher standard, don't let them muck with your time. If they are no shows, drop them as clients.

2. Plan your Budget, know your dashboard numbers by heart and hit your targets.

If you know you have to sell $2,500 a week in revenue, stick to it, if you have to stay late do it, then slack off. In the opposite side, if you make your numbers within a few days, don't waste your time shaming around, instead clean the shop, pickup the phone and sell, market, teach a clinic, etc.

3. The number one time sink will be the phone, learn to be brief and courteous. LEARN TO SAY NO!

All kinds of people will come to try to sell you stuff, do yourself a favor, be polite and learn to say no. It helps them and you by keeping your time on YOUR schedule.

4. Hire professional help, use the best program to track your business.

You accountant/bookkeeper will help you save money and grow your business, excellent accountants can help you make wise decisions on how to grow your money and business by investing wisely.

5. As soon as you can, hire the best help you can afford, they paid themselves and make you money.

Good help is never an expense, they pay for themselves my knowing exactly how to do the job right.

6. CHARGE WHAT THE MARKET WILL BEAR! Know the difference between markup vs margin. YOU NEED TO MAKE A PROFIT TO STAY IN BUSINESS! Turning wrenches just for the sake of turning wrenches is no fun as a business owner, besides your kids need to be properly fed, clothed, and raised. If you can't make a profit, leave the business and get hired as a tech. else wise you hurt yourself and other by driving prices down.

Edited by HarrytheCarGeek
  • Like 3

Thanks for the quick reply. In my paying job I have done some work with lean manufacturing so I appreciate it when you point out the "simple" things. it's often the simple things that are done wrong or inefficient.

The phone is something I had noticed. Most calls are for customer making appointments, Parts houses looking for orders or even customer looking to see if their car is ready. so I'm looking at maybe an online enquiry form. Give the vehicle details, required work if known and which day preference. Also looking at just picking a preferred parts house and emailing the vehicle details and parts required.

Trying to convince my friend to let all calls go to the answering machine :-)

The accident was caused when he lifted a car that was already on a lift. axle stands were under the car but not correctly placed. Phone rang so he answered it, went back to work on the car without putting the axle stands in fully so the trolly jack was supporting the car. Jack slipped, car came down but luckily got caught on one axle stand. Minor injuries sustained but was very lucky escape.

Thanks for the quick reply. In my paying job I have done some work with lean manufacturing so I appreciate it when you point out the "simple" things. it's often the simple things that are done wrong or inefficient.

The phone is something I had noticed. Most calls are for customer making appointments, Parts houses looking for orders or even customer looking to see if their car is ready. so I'm looking at maybe an online enquiry form. Give the vehicle details, required work if known and which day preference. Also looking at just picking a preferred parts house and emailing the vehicle details and parts required.

Trying to convince my friend to let all calls go to the answering machine :-)

The accident was caused when he lifted a car that was already on a lift. axle stands were under the car but not correctly placed. Phone rang so he answered it, went back to work on the car without putting the axle stands in fully so the trolly jack was supporting the car. Jack slipped, car came down but luckily got caught on one axle stand. Minor injuries sustained but was very lucky escape.

See, this is a catch-22, the phone is your greatest sales tool. You need to speak to your customer and qualify him, bring him in and sell him. On the other hand, this is why it is important to learn to say no, so you don't trash your schedule and instead spend your time on calls that bring in the revenue.

Here, I will give you another great tip. Set a time when you take sales calls and give them a minute to do their sales pitch. For example, Tuesdays or Thursdays 8:30 to 11:00 am. So when they call you, ask them, "is this a sales call?" If they keep rambling on, tell them the times you take sales call, and keep to it. If they are professionals they will call you when you are taking sales calls. My best supplier relationships have been made this way.

Regarding the accident, lucky your friend didn't get seriously injured, but this close call should serve as a warning to stay alert in the shop area. I am really pedantic about safety in the shop.

Edited by HarrytheCarGeek
  • Like 2

Great post, guys! I am also a struggling one man show. I have Mitchell1, quickbooks online and work from home. There are numerous times when I let the phone go to voicemail, but I cal them back the moment I have the opportunity. I have a small but loyal customer base, and they already know the drill. The new customers I get are quickly educated on being flexible with the time frame to get the car serviced properly. I have found that most people are quick to understand if you don't answer their call on the first ring. They know that quality work takes time, and I will take the same care and attention to detail with their vehicle once it enters my bay. On the other hand, I have had to fire customers for being unreasonable or time killers, and I don't sweat that loss one minute! The best advice I can give (besides the previous advice listed above from the other contributors), is to take a few moments every morning to prioritize your goals for the day, make time for sales calls, and don't allow people to redirect your attention if possible.

• Like 2

Harry, Thank you very much for the tip about scheduling phone calls. This turned out to be the thing that broke the "I'm not changing a thing" ice 😁 it has worked so well that I now have an opening to start working on your other suggestions. I'm working my way through all the posts on the forum to see if there is anything else I can use!

Really appreciate you sharing your insight!

Great post, guys! I am also a struggling one man show.

Can i pick your brains a little?

Do you ever wish you weren't a one man show? What gives you the biggest headache that is caused by being on your own? is there anything that you might be able to share with another on man setup in your area, like accounts, etc? If you previously worked in a dealership or with others, what do you miss?

Thanks for your comments

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching emphasizes the importance of seeking inspiration and innovation outside the auto repair industry. He challenges shop owners to break out of their comfort zones and learn from disruptors in fields like hospitality, retail, healthcare, and fitness. Chris discusses how adopting customer-centric approaches and technologies from these industries can transform auto repair businesses.

For instance, he highlights how the hospitality industry's focus on exceptional customer service and personalized experiences can be mirrored in auto repair shops to build stronger customer relationships and loyalty. Similarly, he points out how retail's use of data analytics and customer feedback can help auto shops better understand their clients' needs and preferences, leading to more tailored services and improved satisfaction.

Chris also explores how the healthcare sector's emphasis on transparency and trust can be applied to auto repair, fostering a more open and honest communication channel between mechanics and customers. Additionally, he draws parallels with the fitness industry's use of subscription models and community-building strategies, suggesting that auto repair shops could benefit from implementing similar membership programs to ensure steady revenue and customer engagement.

He encourages proactive learning, attending conferences, and networking with professionals from other sectors. By stepping outside the traditional boundaries of the auto repair industry, shop owners can gain fresh perspectives and innovative ideas that can set them apart from competitors.

The episode concludes with practical steps for implementing these innovative ideas to enhance customer experience and drive positive change in auto repair shops. Chris provides actionable advice on how to start small, such as introducing a customer feedback system or experimenting with new service packages, and gradually scale up these initiatives. He also stresses the importance of continuous improvement and staying adaptable to evolving customer expectations and industry trends. By embracing these strategies, auto repair shops can not only improve their operations but also create a more engaging and satisfying experience for their customers.

The power of looking outside our industry (00:01:05)
      Exploring the importance of learning from disruptors in other fields to stay ahead of the curve.  
      Innovation at the edges (00:03:26)

Discussing how innovation often occurs at the edges of industries and the benefits of looking beyond traditional practices.  
      Examples of disruptors in other industries (00:04:37)

Exploring examples from healthcare, food and beverage, connected fitness apps, and education to draw insights for auto repair business.  
      Implementing ideas in auto repair shops (00:09:41)

Strategies for implementing ideas from other industries, such as networking, adopting technology, experimenting with service models, focusing on customer experience, and empowering the team.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching delves into the multifaceted benefits of adopting a four-day workweek within the auto repair industry. He underscores significant enhancements in employee morale, work-life balance, and overall productivity, while also noting the potential to attract and retain top-tier talent. Chris provides an in-depth analysis of various structural approaches for implementing a four-day workweek, including staggered shifts and rotating schedules, ensuring that operations run smoothly without compromising service quality.

The episode, sponsored by Shop Marketing Pros, is a treasure trove of practical tips for auto repair shop owners contemplating this transition. Chris emphasizes the importance of developing a customized plan that meticulously balances employee satisfaction with operational efficiency. He discusses the nuances of different implementation strategies, such as ensuring adequate coverage during peak hours and maintaining customer service standards. Additionally, Chris shares real-world examples and success stories from shops that have successfully made the switch, providing listeners with a comprehensive understanding of the potential challenges and rewards.

Listeners will also gain insights into the financial implications of a four-day workweek, including potential cost savings from reduced overhead and increased employee retention. Chris highlights the importance of clear communication with staff throughout the transition process and offers advice on how to gather and incorporate employee feedback to fine-tune the new schedule. By the end of the episode, auto repair shop owners will be equipped with the knowledge and tools needed to make an informed decision about whether a four-day workweek is the right fit for their business.

Boosted Employee Morale and Productivity (00:02:19) Shorter workweek leads to increased productivity and higher job satisfaction, improving employee morale and focus. Improved Work-Life Balance (00:03:28) A four-day workweek allows for more family time, hobbies, and rest, reducing burnout and maintaining mental and physical health. Attracting Top Talent (00:04:23) Offering a four-day workweek can attract top talent valuing flexibility and work-life balance, setting the employer apart. Operational Efficiency and Financial Benefits (00:05:32) Streamlining operations, reducing turnover rates, and potential cost savings with a condensed workweek. Structural Approaches to Transitioning to a Four-Day Workweek (00:06:34) Staggered shifts, extended hours, rotating schedules, and seasonal adjustments to implement a four-day workweek.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By nptrb

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network Hear from the team at Mighty Auto Pro as they discuss the pivotal role of morning huddles and meetings. The team shares their experiences on how these gatherings enhance daily workflow and help minimize unexpected challenges. Leigh Anne Best and Bill Hill, Mighty Auto Pro, Medina OH. Show Notes
      Skylar's Morning Huddle (00:04:14) Skylar explains the morning huddle and its role in coordinating service work and workflow. Michael's Morning Huddle (00:09:32) Michael emphasizes the importance of the morning huddle in ensuring everyone is on the same page and minimizing surprises during the day. Josh's Morning Huddle (00:09:55) Josh discusses how morning huddles help in managing parts and workflow, and the interaction between customer service and technicians. David's Morning Huddle (00:11:58) David explains the purpose of the morning huddle in coordinating projects and ensuring everyone is on the same page. Training Hours and Meetings (00:13:19) Discussion about the training hours completed, the process of introducing new training seminars, and the importance of training in the automotive industry. Brian's Morning Huddle (00:14:54) Brian discusses the value of morning huddles in providing uniformity, team collaboration, and adaptability in planning the day's work. Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Get ready to grow your business with the Automotive Management Network: Find on the Web at http://AftermarketManagementNetwork.com for information that can help you move your business ahead and for the free and informative http://LaborRateTracker.com Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                    

• Our Sponsors