Quantcast

Hi, a friend of mine was working as a one man garage until a recent workplace accident. I had been trying to help to organise the shop better so he wasn't dealing with constant interruptions (with little success).

The accident was caused by trying to do too much at once resulting in working on a car in an unsafe manner.

I've talked to a number of one man garages recently and it seems they all struggle in a similar fashion.

So, my question is this.... How best to run a one man business. There seems to be little interest in joining forces with another one man setup.

So, how/when to make appointments, schedule work, order parts, get paid etc

I'm looking at Google docs to see if there's any way to put an appointment calender into action.

Not even sure what are the real problems faced by a one man shop...Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• General Liability / Garage Keepers Insurance Quotes... What do you pay?

I have a 2 bay facility that I rent and one employee plus myself. I was quoted about $2346 per year for both general liability and garage keepers from Liberty Mutual(using CoverWallet as the broker). - General liability was $1,032 per year if paid in full for $1,000,000 limit and $2,000,000 aggregate - Garage keepers was $1320 per year if paid in full for $75,000 coverage Does this sound right? I am in the process of getting other quotes but wanted to see if I am in the right ballpark. This is my first time getting insurance for the business and it seems like some places don't want to insure you unless you have history. Shop size: Employees: Location: Own or rent: Coverage: Insurer:   Thank you

By [email protected], in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 1 reply
    • Dealing with family & friends?

This has kind of been a hot topic here lately...how do you guys deal with family and friends? I am trying to run a business, as are the rest of you, how do you deal with people wanting "friend discounts" or family not paying their bills. It seems I try and separate business and personal relationships and in the process end up being the "bad guy". How do you deal with close friends as customers and try to give them a deal but not go out of business by them expecting it every time? Do you just not do business with family or friends?

By PARKSINDUST, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 25 replies
    • Article: Turning Techs Into Advisors - Guidelines for Success

By Bob Cooper If there is one thing our industry has done since the very beginning, it’s put technicians into the role of service advisors. The rationale is that they have a good understanding of automobiles, which will enable them to be competent advisors. Unfortunately, that’s the furthest from the truth. Although an in-depth understanding of automobiles can be an asset, there are a number of other things you should consider before offering a service advisor position to one of your techs. First and foremost, you need to consider why they want the position, or why you are offering it to them. If they suggested they would like to become an advisor because it has become difficult to work on cars at their age, then they may very well be the wrong person, because they are looking to become an advisor out of necessity rather than interest. The same is true if you are looking to move a tech into an advisor position when that tech has shown little interest in becoming an advisor in the past. Two of the most common mistakes we see at Elite are shop owners making this hiring decision out of necessity rather than interest, or out of desperation rather than inspiration. In either case, there is a high probability of failure. Another major mistake we see made by shop owners is they put far too much value on the technician’s technical skills, and far too little value on the tech’s natural people talents, and their passion for the position. Unfortunately, these owners don’t understand just how important the people skills component is to an advisor’s success. So here is what I am going to encourage you to consider before you offer one of your technicians a service advisor position.  First of all, when it comes to selling auto repairs and services, bear in mind that natural talent trumps technical skills every time. Talent can’t be taught, but skills can, so if your tech doesn’t naturally smile, doesn’t have a positive attitude, or is not quick-witted and articulate, then they may do a fair job for you, but they will never be the advisor that keeps you ahead of your competitors. You will find there are a number of companies that offer online behavioral assessment testing to evaluate the sales potential of candidates, and I would strongly encourage you to take advantage of this type of testing. You will more than likely be surprised with what you discover.  Secondly, you will need to evaluate how well he or she will be accepted in the advisor role by your other employees. If the candidate has a good relationship with your other employees, and if you feel your employees will be willing to take directions and orders from the candidate, then they may very well be a good fit for an advisor position.  The third thing you will need to do is avoid overselling the position to the candidate. In addition to knowing the benefits of the position, they’ll need to know all of the negatives as well. In essence, you want to make sure that there are no surprises. We also encourage all of our clients to get the significant other of the candidate involved in the decision making process. As we say at Elite, “When you hire Larry, you get Mary”, so you will need to ensure that their spouse is also onboard with the new position.  Lastly, I hope you do two other important things if you decide to have one of your technicians take on the role of service advisor. First of all, take them for a test drive by having them help you on the counter, and pay close attention to their people skills, how well they are able to manage their emotions, and how they deal with difficult situations. Secondly, if and when you put that tech on the service counter, remember, training trumps productivity. What that tech will need more than anything is professional sales training, encouragement from you, and the opportunity to become… a superstar.  Since 1990, Bob Cooper has been the president of Elite, a company that strives to help shop owners reach their goals and live happier lives, while elevating the industry at the same time. The company offers coaching and training from the industry’s top shop owners, service advisor training, peer groups, along with online and in-class sales, marketing and shop management courses. You can learn more about Elite by visiting www.EliteWorldwide.com, or calling 800-204-3548.
      View full article

By Elite Worldwide Inc., in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 0 replies
    • 2017 SUCCESS THREAD - Little disciplines makes great success.

Happy New 2017!   I hope you have set your goals for 2017, if not, get working on them!   Every day take a step into achieving your goal, it is the simple positive habits that will make success show up at your door.   For example, if you wish more sales, choose to make 10 calls everyday, or send 10 letters or post cards. by the end of the week you will have achieved 50 calls or leads, your sells will soon show up.   Simple disciplines to success!   I begin by sharing with you a video of a presentation that has given me great happiness and success:  

By HarrytheCarGeek, in General Automotive Discussion

• 57 replies
    • Garage Rehab Casting - Discovery Channel

http://www.pilgrimstudios.com/casting/garagerehabshop/ NOW CASTING 
      DISCOVERY CHANNEL WANTS TO HELP YOUR
      TROUBLED AUTO OR MOTORCYCLE BUSINESS

http://www.pilgrimstudios.com/casting/garagerehabshop/

Do you have a commercial auto or motorcycle garage or repair shop that is troubled or failing? 

This is your chance to have Richard Rawlings of Discovery's hit series "Fast N Loud" and his expert team come to your garage, solve your problems and upgrade your space on Discovery's brand new TV show, GARAGE REHAB!

Maybe your tools, lifts and fans are old and broken or your space is falling apart. Maybe you have no idea how to successfully market your business. Maybe your management is bad or your staff doesn't get along. Whatever the case, Richard's team could invest their time and money to help make it a success!

[email protected] 
      Email your Name, Phone Number, a Recent Photo of You and Your Garage
      and tell us briefly why your shop needs this show.

http://www.pilgrimstudios.com/casting/garagerehabshop/  

By Dusty, in General Automotive Discussion

• 1 reply
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors