Quantcast

What's On Second - Getting the most out of a phone call

Gonzo

What’s on Second Gonzo 2010

My office manager is also my oldest daughter Katie, a bright, pretty gal with a quick wit and long beautiful red hair. Naturally, Katie gets all the phone calls and front office issues. She does a great job, and makes everything feel like a day at the ball park. Sometimes I wonder if she shouldn’t be a comedian, or even have her own vaudeville act.

She cracks me up with some of her responses to those wacky phone calls we all tend to receive at the repair shop.

On one occasion I happened to be in the office, and listened in on a conversation she was having with a prospective customer. The way she handled it was remarkable. With the phone on speaker I couldn’t help but hear the entire conversation. By the end of the phone call I was laughing so hard that I nearly forgot I was only supposed to be listening and to keep quiet. I did, but managed to have a big smile on my face for the rest of the day. The phone call went something like this;

“Good morning, this is Katie, may I help you?”

“Yes, I had my car over at the transmission shop, and they recommended you guys,” the caller said.

“Ok, great, is it a shifting problem?” she asked.

“No, it’s an electrical problem.”

“We certainly do that kind of work. When would you like to bring it in and have it diagnosed?”

“No, I already had it diagnosed at the other shop.”

“They did, did they? Did they tell you what the problem was?”

“No, they didn’t know what was wrong with it. That’s why they sent me to you.”

About now Katie is getting the raised eyebrow look going, and her pen is scribbling some sort of gibberish on the note pad. Something is up. I can tell you know… I’ve answered phone calls like this myself. Let’s see how Katie handles this … I’ll listen in a little more.

“So did they give you any clues to what the problem was?” she asked curiously.

“They said they didn’t know.”

“Well that doesn’t help either one of us… let’s start this all over again. It sounds to me like the other shop checked it out, and determined that it was something they couldn’t handle and recommended us. Their best guess was that it was something electrical. Then they gave you our phone number, and told you we could take care of it. Am I pretty close to what’s going on sir?” Katie asked.

“Quite right”

“Ok, let’s see if we can knock one out of the old ball park. First off… the transmission shop sent you to … … … who?”

“To you…”

“Great we’ve made it to first base. Now then, let’s head to 2nd base… that’s where we figure out the “what’s wrong with it” part.”

He quickly interrupted her… “Nope, already did that.”

“Well, what’s wrong with it then?” Katie asked.

“I don’t know, and they couldn’t tell me either,” the caller said.

“Sir, somehow we have made it all the way to third base, and haven’t touched second at all,” she answers.

“I don’t understand what you’re getting at,” the bewildered caller said.

“Let’s try this again,” Katie goes on with, “We have established that the “who” part of this is to bring the car here. As of now we have a good foot hold on first base… the second thing is the “what” part, and that’s where we are having a problem… the “I don’t know” part can be answered once we have it diagnosed.

“I already had it diagnosed.”

“Ok, then “what’s” wrong with it?”

“I don’t know.” (Here we go again, passed 2nd and slid into 3rd)

“Naturally,” Katie answers him with that -I’m not going thru this again- look on her face, “They didn’t know… that’s why you’re talking to me.”

“I don’t think you understand,” he answers her.

“Oh, I understand perfectly well, sir. I don’t think you understand that I can’t repair it, unless I know what is wrong with it,” she answers back, “This is why I wanted to start you off with “who’s” on first… which is me.”

“But, I just told you… they diagnosed it already.”

“Who did?”

“Not you…………, they did.”

“What did they tell you was wrong with it?”

“I don’t know……………,” our caller answered while making another beeline for 3rd base.

“Sir, we will need to diagnose it all over again in order to find out “what” is wrong with it… and hopefully avoid that 3rd base.”

“What 3rd base?”

“What is the 2nd base, I don’t know is 3rd,” Katie answered him.

“So, we need to stay on what?” asks the caller.

“Yes, second base.”

“Who’s on 1st?”

“Naturally, I’m on first base. I thought we already got past that point. We need to move onto 2nd base.”

“Second base, will that fix my car?”

“I don’t know”, said Katie.

“So are we on 2nd or 3rd now?” the caller asked.

“Sir, I’m still on 1st base where we started. Now let’s try 2nd again. I still need to get it diagnosed… that’s second base,” Katie answered.

“I already had it diagnosed,” stated the caller.

“And what did they find out?”

“I don’t know… … … 3rd base,” they both answered in unison without missing a beat.

The phone call went on for some time. I’m about to fall off the barstool laughing so hard. We all know what the problem is. It’s not the what, who, or I don’t know… it’s because he has already paid someone to check his car out, and they failed to find the problem. So “naturally”, the customer assumes that there is no need in paying for the same thing a second time, if nothing came about it the first time around. (Try that when you go to a second doctor for another opinion)

I understand their plight. I just wish when he got up to bat at the first shop they would have done a better job of explaining to him about the necessary procedures to make these repairs. Then again the charges the customer was given might have been for other work, and not for any diagnostics at all…..but that never made it into the conversation.

The call ended with, “I can’t bring it today, but I can bring it in tomorrow.”

What a relief, “Because”- (he’s in the outfield)… today is the day to catch wacky phone calls, and I’ve caught all the foul balls I can stand for one day. I just hope “Tomorrow” doesn’t end up throwing me any wild pitches.

So no matter how you handle things in the office or in the shop… sometimes you just want to make it around the bases without getting tagged. And there’s one more thing I’m sure of -- I don’t want to end up with the customer only making a “short stop” in my shop, because we haven’t seen eye to eye on how the problem needs to be resolved…

Cause, we all know that short stop’s name……

View full article

• Like 2

• Similar Topics

• By champtires
      Champtires – one of the leading e-commerce used tire sellers – is not facing supply chain issues. In fact, over the past several months, Champtires’ inventory has grown exponentially.
      “Luckily, we are still able to source really great tires right now,” said Brad Rea, president and founder of Champtires. “Ninety percent of our inventory has 7/32 tread or above, and we’re adding hundreds of Michelins, Pirellis, Continentals – tires in every brand really – every day.”
      Reselling used tires with significant tread life left saves them from ending up in a landfill. And it allows consumers and auto businesses to save drastically compared to new tire prices.
      “Relying on premium used tires is a responsible way to use recycled products while saving yourself a lot of money,” Rea said.
      High quality used tires are perfect if you need to match one or two to a remaining set or when replacing all four tires. Every tire that enters a Champtires facility goes through a thorough three-step inspection process. Free FedEx shipping is included on all website orders to the continental U.S.
      Learn more and shop now at Champtires.com.
    • By Joe Marconi
      Let's face it, we all know you can't find techs, and it's time that we do something about it.  We all need to implement an apprentice program at our shops and hire entry level techs. And we need to start tomorrow.  
      I know many of you are saying that you don't need a tech right now. Well, trust me. You will.  And I don't want to hear you can't afford to do this either. 
      No one is going to help us, and the best techs have jobs. 
      If everyone in the industry commits to hiring an apprentice, we will solve the this shortage in a few years.
      There are many apprenticeship programs available, like the NAPA program, and more. 
      Oh....worried that you train someone and they leave. Let me ask you, How Did You Start Out? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Dave Giles has been involved with the automotive, truck and transport and collision industries for over 30 years. He currently holds a Red Seal AST certification in Canada and is also certified HRAI instructor for the delivery and certification for controlled substances in several provinces as week as several other certifications and certificates in each trade involving advance vehicle technology and systems. He is often a guest speaker at several automotive conferences that involve battery electric vehicles and advance vehicle systems such as ADAS and automatous vehicles. His passion is to continue to learn and help find solutions for exciting and sustainable transportation for the future. Dave started ALL EV Canada In 2019 with his partner Jeff Farwell. Their goal was to put affordable electric vehicles on Atlantic Canada roadways. During that time they acquired Pure EV another dealer in PEI. From there they built an incredible growing business with sales and service on electric vehicles. Just recently in July 2021, Steele Auto Group bought out ALL EV adding two more dealers to the 55 family of dealers they already own. In less than a month they have opened 3 more dealer locations for ALL EV by Steele. This was all done during the pandemic of Covid-19. Key Talking Points
      Hedgehog concept- good at one thing and excel at it.  Made the transition to only EV’s and hybrids- also sell EV’s at auction and take in EV’s on trade. 2 locations and 2 dealer lots. Inventory of over 60 EV’s and about 15 Teslas are at 1 location. 6 bays shop for all EV repairs. Customers can shop for vehicles online.  Tesla- service and repair vehicles, purchase parts (VIN number is recorded and the customer will also get a copy of the invoice that part has been purchased for the vehicle, the customer is aware the parts have a markup. Parts are made by others, the aftermarket will get smarter on bringing parts to market. Cross-referencing will slowly start to show Tesla availability), restricted on scan tools access for diagnostics. Not as difficult as people think.  EV educators, not salespeople- more education involved with EV’s with charging, range (buy as much as you can afford), how they work in winter/summer Charging- 98% EV owners have their own homes to charge. Nova Scotia power program- install charger and $250 for next two years credit on account, allows control of charge rates during the night instead of overloading the grid. Fast chargers: 350-400 chargers in NS. One Tesla supercharger with 8 stations. Level 1- outlet charger, slower charge. Level 2 charger around $1000, Level 3- DCFC (direct current fast charging, booster).   Truck towing capacity- nothing beats torc of electric motor, the truck platform for EV- bigger and stores more batteries Website: Allev.ca Thanks to Dave Giles for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show: Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy me a coffee This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever. This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zjdzSA3Wo&t=165s Chris Chagnon, GM and COO, Cardinal Plaza Shell, Springfield, VA Jack Curran, G & C Tire and Auto Service, since 1996 two locations, Chantilly and Manassas, VA David Huntley, GM/VP Greg’s Japanese Auto, 8 Locations in Greater Seattle, WA Key Talking Points COO/General manager is a day-to-day role, the CEO is focused on the future. Implementing CEO vision. No shop is too small for a COO role CEO letting go- stepping back from the day-to-day customer-facing tasks, accepting and trust between each other with clearly defined roles and responsibilities. The CEO needs to want the business to grow and have COO role.  COO training- promote from within business who has the insights and initiative, training classes for COO, mentor, networking groups, coaching groups COO challenges- manage the CEO and them keep on track and direct reports below you COO strengths needed- Challenge COO and have different approaches without fear of being yelled at or retribution. The memory of ‘gold fish’ at times-let any negativity behind. Can’t be afraid to try new things. Stagnation kills businesses. Attention to detail- pay attention to the smallest things in business without being a micromanager. Adapt and make changes constantly. Continue to move employees forward with personal growth. Self-aware and constructive. Know the financials. Make The Noise Go Away: The Power Of An Effective Second-In-Command   A special thanks to Chris Chagnon, Jack Curran and David Huntley for their contribution to the aftermarket. Books Page HERE Listen to all Remarkable Results Radio, For The Record and Town Hall Academy episodes. Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email   Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy Carm a Cup of Coffee  This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.comClick to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2pWeJGVgNs Fred Gestwicki, Jr, Fix-It With Fred, Canton, OH Gilda Dykman, Cars Automotive & Muffler, Redondo Beach, CA, with husband Michael. After 16 years working in the diamond industry, Gilda began her automotive career with Edelbrock in Torrance CA in their purchasing department. From there she joined in my husband's family business and have been there for 25 years.  Russell Crosby is the owner of Russ’s Wrench Auto Repair located in Clinton, NJ. Listen to Russell's previous episodes HERE Key Talking Points
      Technicians- you must be constantly growing technicians, hire out of local high schools/colleges and grow them. Apprenticeships are key.  Shift mindset of the youth- open different pathways besides college education  Don’t wait until you lose a technician to hire a technician- being heavy on technicians leads to other opportunities (satellite location, more efficient). It’s not a risk, it’s an investment. No one complains they have too many techs. Don’t be afraid to have conversations with other technicians- build trust, if it doesn’t work out they will find another job within a day Fear prevents you to go into a new world of greatness- changing positions isn’t comfortable but necessary to grow Emerging technology- the future is here, training for new EV vehicles, start a marketing campaign for new clientele and technicians. Educating customers that hybrids need repairs. Look into charging ports. This is your opportunity to gain lifetime clientele.  Total lifetime spent- customer personal ARO. Motivation isn’t the bill today but the whole driving career. This is a service industry, not a repair business. What is your mission of the business? Investing in their car invests, in their community. Let them know what you do behind the scenes (helping the community). Put the plaques and newspaper clippings in the shop, Be proud and let your customers know. Be the inspiration. Change mindset- we are financial advisors to customer’s investments. Ask customers what their plan is for their vehicle, keeping it forever? Spare car? Are they looking for a new car and need advice? A special thanks to Fred Gestwicki Jr, Gilda Dykman and Russell Crosby for their contribution to the aftermarket. Books Page HERE Listen to all Remarkable Results Radio, For The Record and Town Hall Academy episodes. Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email   Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy Carm a Cup of Coffee  This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com This episode is brought to you by Shop Marketing Pros. Your guides are Kim and Brian Walker with a rich history as shop owners and industry veterans. When someone searches for a shop, who are they finding? Your competitors? It should be you! The good people over at Shop Marketing Pros know how to drive website traffic and make Google work for you! www.shopmarketingpros.comClick to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors