Quantcast

We all have the good, the bad, the liar, and honest customer. This customer brings me in his personal 2006 Hummer H2. Looks at me hands me a dozen Titleist Pro V golf balls and says fix my truck . We chit chat a few and he says I took the vehicle to SO & SO to have a leak in the top light fixed and carpet dried out, I opened the door and this thing smelled like a dead animal in there for days. He says that is not the problems crank it up and watch what happens, out pf his mouth he says it has gremlins in it. The gauges go off all lights go off windows up and down , RPM gauge works. Then bam it goes to normal. I feel underneath carpet still wet , the guy had charged to take out and dry this. I said Bill I am going to have to dry this out. As I said Bill is the both honest and good customer, He says Dave I do not care what it cost , he actually does own a large bank here, fix it or Ill go find a new one. This is one of those "Center Of Influence" customers I have, his friends are the people you want for customers. I have others say yeah old so and so was telling me about you in the Country Club how good and honest you are. He things I hung the moon and can fix anything. OK, heats on right out of gate I pick up the Hummer at the bank drive to office and never once did it happen. I get to work, yank out seats ,pull carpet up and yank out padding and threw it in garbage it stunk bad. I am sorta PEE-OD at the guys that charged him 611.00 already and hosed a good guy . I put fans under both sides of carpet and dry it out all night . Put new padding in it rehooked all plugs and redid the 2 small grounds on floor , remember, he always said this happened when those guys did the previous work. I actually called the shop up that did the work and spoke to the owner and ask him how much water was in it and if they unplugged anything , he denies all other than we dried it out and took the seats out. I keep the high road and said thank you. Heck wasn't my money, it still sorta ticks me off when I see charges for something that is so easy to repair correctly, the previous shop was a Auto Trim Shop, heck he should have cut the wet pad out he new dry mat in stock . He had the seats out he acknowledged that earlier. He says we dried it out and did not do anything to the computers. I drive car home , 13 miles home ,13 miles back. Bill comes to pick up Hummer it is running like a dream , no gauge issues or smell. I charge him 500.00 he shakes my hand , says your the best David, dont know what I would do without you. I am still a little concerned and told him nothing hit me in the head as the previous gauge issue . I saw one right door connector wire that was not altogether , I also reset all grounds. We shake hands again and out the door he goes , then the worst thing ever happens I look at my phone on the other line is one of my best Customers who just left, not mad , he just says David this thing has gone crazy windows rolling down radio lights off all gauge lights on , weird stuff . Like a BCM. I said Bill you gotta bring it back in the morning Sat. I am going to be out Tue and Wed. He pulls up , great customer and guy and says It never did this until I took to Auto Trim Shop. Call me when it is done. Game on. I am like dang, so I yank dash covers off go to Mitchell print all my circuits, get out my power probe and scanner and here we go. I am getting very erratic numbers from the DLC ground wire , it was killing my scanner when it would go into this mode. I worked on it for 3 hard hours trying to make it happen it was on and off. I finally was done with it yesterday call my brother who I think could be Einstein of electricity, he pops off , I guarantee you I can tell what is wrong with it. I said ok big boy I am right around the corner, Sunday at 2.00 PM . I pull up give him run down , he reads schematics and says this and that at 5 o'clock he says I don't think it is ground issue I think computer. I come home and making plans who to take to this morning . I said to my wife at 8 PM last night i am gonna get my bright light and go look at this truck , I will redo grounds real quick. I come running in house come help me , she is 5'2' tall I said get that flashlight tell me what I am pushing with my foot under the dash it is triggering the dash issue, "Finally Something", I Love Her To Death, 25 years, she is blonde. I am saying put your finger on what my left big toe is touching. Finally I get down there she gets in seat and I start wiggling gas pedal mount , nothing, I smartly say go back inside I get in truck stretch out and put my toe of my shoe in a area under dash stretched out and as I tap with my foot the GREMLINS go nuts. I go to hop out off this Hummer and I feel new fake leather on the side of seat. When I was moving over edge of seat the gremlins started I put foot back under dash and start moving my rear end around in seat. I hop out go underneath backseat unplugged the electrical connector to the controls. BINGO. The guy had resewn a piece of fake leather onside of seat when they had it there. When the kid put the seat back together he just let the main harness hang it got wedged in between 2 bars inside the seat I took side control panel off seat. When I started doing it one screw was different by about 3 inches longer and had penetrated the harness also. I took pictures of it. I did a lot of work because a kid, i hope,did not take the time and do the job right. The sew looks good he just crammed the harness back inside the seat and ran a screw threw it because he did not put the plastic clips back in the holes that they were in. My guys will have a lesson on quality and control this morning. ""I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED""

WHEN THE CUSTOMER SAID IT DID NOT DO IT UNTIL THEY TOOK THE SEATS OUT, DRIED IT OUT AND FIXED THE WATER LEAK IN ROOF LIGHTS. He was right. If people only new what we go through working on these new vehicles. So how was your weekend. :)

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Listen to an accountant, not the tool truck rep for Tax savings

At the end of each year, it's typical of tool reps and salespeople to give you tax advise. Often they will tell you that buying tools and equipment can be used as a way to lower income taxes. While this may be true, no one has a better handle on your financial situation that a good tax accountant.  Listen to the expert, not the tool truck rep.  Spending money to save on taxes also reduces your cash flow.  I am not an accountant, but sometimes its better to pay a little extra in taxes and maintain a cash reserve.  Your thoughts?  

By Joe Marconi, in Accounting, Profitability, & Payroll

• 1 reply
    • Customer's buying their own parts

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and was looking for this subject but couldn't find it. Sorry If I'm posted something that's already been discussed. I own a brake shop in Austin, TX. We do anywhere from 10-20 brake jobs a day. We only do brakes so I don't know how much full service auto shops deal with this problem but... Customers are constantly calling in claiming they've bought the best parts or they want to provide their own parts because they've done research and know what is best. This drives me crazy. First of all they don't know whats best. Then after being told no they get offended and act like tons of shops allow this. What is the best way to handle these customers? Just send them away? I'll quote them a price using our parts and they act as though its a rip off. What shops are doing this for their customers? I feel like I'm letting jobs get away from me. Any experience with this?

By Jonathan Ganther, in General Automotive Discussion

• 78 replies
    • Enhanced your vehicle multipoint inspections with Video

Has any signed up or know of this product? "Truvideo" BG has partnered with a company called Truvideo.  The process allows you to take a short video of the car and document any issues. The video is then sent to the customer, either thru a text message or email. The tech or service advisor narrates the video.  The customer can see on video things like worn brakes, worn tires, a leaking hose, etc.   I think that this has its place in the multipoint process. Below is a link for more information. Your thoughts? https://www.bgprod.com/programs/truvideo/  

By Joe Marconi, in The Customer Experience

• 7 replies
    • Article: Defining Your Ideal Customer

We all have our favorite customers. You know who there are. They’re the ones that throw their keys on the service counter in the morning and say, “Do what you need to do and I’ll see you at 5 p.m.” They never question your price, they trust you and they keep coming back. But does that person define your true profile customer? The answer is probably yes. But it’s not the only criteria. It’s a little more complicated than that. Defining your true profile customer starts with you. It starts with who you are, why you are in business and the culture of your company. By the way, determining your true profile customer has nothing to do with excluding certain people due to their income level. The young 23-year-old college graduate who sets aside part of her paycheck to shop at Whole Foods does so because she believes in the company and for what they stand. It’s not about what she “supposedly” can or cannot afford. She is Whole Foods’ profile customer because she aligns herself with that brand. And Whole Foods welcomes her with open arms. Many of my profile customers endured tough economic times during the Great Recession of 2008. They lost their ability to pay for some of the things they previously could afford. What they didn’t lose was their loyalty to my company. So, what did we do? We helped them through that difficult time. We helped them manage their car care needs better, offering services that would save on fuel, reduce repair costs, and reduce breakdowns. We showed them how to squeeze every mile out of their tires and brakes. We took care of them and we still do to this day. We consider them family and we don’t turn our backs on family. One thing we didn’t do, and will never do, is compromise on price to get a job. That would not be fair to all my customers, my employees or the company. With regard to pricing your services and repairs, it’s a delicate balance between being profitable and competitive. But I don’t know of any shop that prefers a customer walk away or sends someone to another shop because he or she cannot afford a particular price. A smart service advisor will give options, prioritize the work needed, and offer finance options. If you’re a startup company, your doors are wide open to everyone. You need customers and car counts, and you need them right away. But as your business matures, you begin to realize that not everyone is your customer. And there’s nothing wrong with this realization. As you build your customer base, you begin to see that there are customers that respect the work you do, align themselves with your culture and appreciate what you do for them and for the community. They become your profile customers. Let’s say you sponsor a youth baseball team in your area, help out at community events and involved with local fundraisers. You will become known as the business person that cares about the community and children. That’s making your business stand out among the rest. As you define who you are, you also attract those that want to do business with you and support your brand. While I do recommend treating everyone the same, I don’t recommend trying to be everything to everyone. That’s not a sound marketing strategy—that’s a recipe for failure. Defining your customer and targeting your market does not isolate consumers. It actually increases market share. Here’s an important fact: In your geographical area, automotive shops basically do the same thing; they repair and service automobiles. So, how is a consumer going to choose you over another? You need to stand out. You need to be different. You need to build a brand culture and establish a marketing position that will make people take notice. By the way, every successful company, large and small, understands its true profile customer and creates a marketing plan on attracting them. One last thing: When you build a business around your culture, you put the focus on your brand and the value you provide. This strategy is one of your pathways to success. When you combine value with culture, you will have an enduring and profitable company. If you want to build a great company, ask yourself these questions: Why are you in business? What’s your life’s purpose? Your culture? Build a marketing strategy and a brand message around the answers to these questions. Not all people will take notice, but your profile customers will.    This story was originally published by Joe Marconi in Ratchet+Wrench on August 3, 2018
      View full article

By Joe Marconi, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 0 replies
    • Article: Rocky Mountain Oysters - Do you have the balls??

Rocky Mountain Oysters                                                   Gonzo Jan 2010             At my shop I tend to do more electrical repairs  than anything else.  It’s what I’m known for, and  sometimes I get my share of odd ball electrical  problems.  Sometimes it’s a factory defect where  a harness has rubbed into a bracket behind the  dash and shorted things out.  But, a lot of  times it’s some add-on that causes the problems.   Usually some sort of flashy-testosterone filled  bling that the owner is using to show off his macho  self to all who pass by.               Seldom do I see these “manly” things on a  girl’s car… it’s mostly the guy’s… sorry dudes… it’s true.   You guys can’t leave them alone.   Ya gotta show your manhood somewhere on that Detroit steel.                        I had this cowboy’s truck in the shop; it’s was a late 80’s Chevy pickup, jacked up to the sky and loud.  His only problem was his parking lights would blow a fuse.  My usual first question is, “When did ya put in the stereo?”  (Over the years I would say it’s probably the no#1 problem I find in the park light systems on these GM cars and trucks of that era.)   It never fails; some goof ball is going to use the gray wire as the radio ground.  I can usually tell these types of guys because they’ll “always” tell me how they used an ohm meter to check the wiring. (More testosterone showing... gotta make like they've got some "cojones"... at least, more than the mechanic who's going to fix the mess they created, you know.)             The gray wire will show continuity to ground because the dash light filaments will send the meter signal to the next bulb and the next until it reaches another ground source.  It’s really not a ground at all; it’s actually the positive voltage lead for the dash light circuit that is part of the factory radio.  However when you turn the park lights on (Which they won’t check until the next time they drive at night.) the fuse to the park lights will blow. Happens all the time.             This hombre was safe… it wasn’t the radio.  Now I have to look elsewhere.  One of my many “tricks” to test a short circuit on these older trucks is with 2 fuses.  First stick one in the fuse box and turn on the park lights. (It came in blown, and I doubt you’re going to make it any worse) … Keep your eye on the fuse, did it blow quickly? … Or did it take a bit? When I say a bit… I don’t mean like… a second….I mean not immediately, let’s just call it a quick blink.  If the fuse takes a bit to blow that tells me the short is farther away from the fuse box than closer.   (Learning the difference may take some practice.)              In this case this saddle sore owner’s problem was not immediate, but an ever slight delay.  I’m going to look around the outside of the vehicle and see if it reveals any clues.  It could be in the back or the front of this herd chasing cattleman’s Cadillac.  I climbed out of the cab and headed to the south end of this northbound rig to check for any trailer wiring.  (It’s my 2nd usual place to look for faulty wiring on this type of truck.)   Any time you get the handy-dandy farmhand with his fence pliers working his magic on the horse trailer wiring, you’re bound to have problems.              Well, how about that… it was professionally done… and in fact the wiring looked great!  But there was this other foreign object dangling on the receiver hitch. Oh man … is this necessary? Bull testicles?  There’s a pair of fake plastic bovine male parts rocking back and forth with every sway of this pasture cavorting vehicle.  Now, I don’t know who this cowboy is trying to impress… ‘cause if I was a cow… I’d think there something wrong with this bull. And, if I was some gal in a car behind this boot wearin’, skoal chewin’, cattle jockey… I don’t think I’d be impressed either… or at all.            But then something else caught my eye… and it wasn’t the swinging genitals. There’s a small wire connected to them, and the wire is connected to the brown wire of the trailer connector… which, is the park light wiring. OMG… no way…these rocky mountain oysters light up and glow with the evening sky.  I don’t remember animal husbandry being a part of my job requirements.  And I don’t think glow in the dark dangling beef ta-tas was covered in any of my training classes.              You mean to tell me, if I disconnect the wire from this cowboy’s dangling plastic bull parts that the park lights might work?  This is nuts!  I can’t believe this … … this is definitely not going well today.  Well, I’ve gotta try, it could be the end of my search of why the park lights are blowing the fuse … here goes… … with one hand, I grabbed this pasture-prowlers-artificial-cattle-creators and held on with an almighty firm grip.  With the other hand, I took steady aim with my trusty cutters--- “Snip” ---the deed is done.              Back to the fuse box and change the fuse, and then flip on the park lights. Well what do ya know, we have lights!  Tell all the Angus and Holsteins on the farm – the park lights are working perfectly! !   Ya Hoo!       I’ll have to admit, it’s the first time I have ever had to castrate a truck to get the park lights to work…  Well, I guess, there’s a first time for everything… might as well start up my new career…   You’ll find me on one of those late night infomercials or in the business yellow pages under; --- “Bull Castrator/Mechanic”--- . 
      View full article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 2 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors