Quantcast

busy shop - new issues

The last couple months have been extremely busy for us, I'm very thankful for that! My goal was always to increase car count. The complaint I hear every day is "I tried to call but your phone was busy" and "oh no, I'm stuck, can't you get me in today?" We have six lifts, work in the parking lot, and yet another right now emergency always seems to show up. I'm running 2 loaner cars. Shop efficiency is high, but theres a limit to how many working hours are in a day. These are new problems that I didn't expect and its tough telling people no. The reality is new customers will find another shop that can meet their needs, existing customers will feel l should squeeze them in.

I'm not wishing for a slow down, I'd like to hear how you guys handle it.

If business keeps up like this what I would like to try is to have 5 lifts booked out with 1 lift left for the emergency situations that happen every day, LOFs, any type of quick check that is needed. Also try to assign an experienced general service technician to that sort of work. That would allow us to accommodate the needed reserve time for every day. We generally do not have any type of quick service work so most likely it would be a prelude to the vehicle being passed along to one of the main techs. It will just allow us to intake the cars and ease the minds of the customers that want their vehicle "looked at" right away. I may use my drive on alignment lift for that if alignment business doesn't pick up. Not to sure yet but I'm in the same boat alfred. I had the fact that I am turning some folks away or at least perceived to be. I also need a good service advisor lol

• Like 1

What are you guys doing for your promotion and marketing? I went from a one inside bay with one lift and one outside lift shop to a 8 bay shop with 5 lifts. I want to maximize my capacity. I do not do any promotion nor marketing at this point. It's time to start.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Obviously, like most shop owners I don't want to spend money unnecessary. But at the same time I have no problem spending alot of money for alot of production. Value is more important than dollar amounts spent for me.

Word of mouth is what we rely on. I spend $10k a year on Google AdWords and some radio spots but mostly what drives traffic is my attitude. Example: A lady comes in with a flat at 6pm on her junker dump wagon, I turn the lights and air back on and fix it, also fix her taillight at the same time and give her a handful of snacks and a coffee while she waits. She comes back for a 30k service on her good car a month later. Come to find out her best friend is CEO of a large international company that sells to the college. I invested 45 minutes of time and probably gained 20 new customers, maybe more. I haven't had a warm meal in 5 years Sunday being the exception.

Give your customers more than they expect every time and you'll be facing the same problems - too much work.

• Like 4

It's like catching the big wave. It's like a we are a Triage Unit managing people and car issues. Main thing is to quickly determine

need, phase one time estimate, get approval for any testing. Some customers may stay while you create phase one estimate and/or testing for repair estimate. And Hold On!

• Like 1

I have a saying for times like these, "Too busy to make money"

I know how hard it is to turn a customer away or even put them off and schedule them out a few days. I don't want to lose a customer either...BUT, when you try to cram too much work into your shop, ARO drops, things get rushed, missed, messed up. Inspections get skipped and the bottom line plumets.

For every new customer that you "worked" in, you lost another by short changing their experience with your shop.

It's not an easy balance to find and lord knows I have not mastered it, but balance is what we should be seeking.

Edited by Dad's Auto
  • Like 1

I don't book my schedule 100%, instead I leave some spots open usually every other day. They always fill up, and it gives me room to squeeze in the emergencies that can't wait. Also I try to schedule the jobs that can wait further out if possible. We're usually booked out 2 - 3 weeks but those weeks will have slots open for just this reason.

• Like 2

I do the same as Scotty P. I only book 4-5 appts per day to leave room. Yeah, I've lost a few customers, but I'm so busy that it doesn't really effect me. I'd rather make 10k working on 9 cars then working on 16 cars a day.

Most people understand and are happy to make appointments. You can't physically survive trying to keep everyone happy.

• Like 2