Quantcast

Beware Of Second Opinions

We absolutely will not do it over the phone. I can't stand trying to diag something over the phone let alone comparing prices etc.

The only thing that's different with us is that almost all of the local shops, especially chains, are robbing people and not fixing the issues. So we see things daily that just boggle the mind.

always second guess the first opinion of the problem if you're the second opinion. In other words... I don't give out my opinion of a problem...EVER. I've had people come directly into the shop and ask about a certian repair (and they're not regular customers) I won't tell them a thing. All I'll say is bring it in and I'll check it out. The usual responce is, "But, you're Gonzo, everybody knows you already know what is wrong with. That's how I got here... I was sent by another shop." My answer is, well let me do my job. I'm not here to take a test on whether or not my guess is right and furthermore... I don't make a dime at guessing. You'll have to pay for my time.

That usually ends it... and I never see them again.

I'd rather do (or say) nothing than I would do (or say) something and get nothing. Sorry folks... the almighty dollar RULES!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We will not give estimates or second opinions over the phone. You need to see the vehicle before you can accurately tell them what's wrong. We are currently on the other end of this today. Great customer brought in his Oldsmobile Intrigue for a hard miss. He pays for a Level 1 Diagnostic and we perform it to the letter. We discuss with him that we need to do a Level 2 Diagnostic and what it entails. He doesn't want to do anymore diagnostics and just wants an idea of what is wrong. With somewhat loose lips my SA said he thought their may be a head gasket issue as the customer is adding coolant and oil and not leaking any. Now he is calling other shops asking for a quote on head gaskets when we haven't even verified the problem. Feel bad for those he may be wasting their time. For some reason he just isn't listening to what we are trying to tell him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No I don't discount in order to get work. It's not fair to my technicians and it's not fair to me. Long story short, my customer came in and we discussed his vehicle. Turns out even after all the talks we had. He still didn't understand what we were telling him. I brought him out to his vehicle, explained everything in the simplest terms I could and he agreed to further diagnostics. He thought a blown head gasket was his issue. Service Advisor has gone through some more training and also learned a valuable lesson as to why we don't tell a customer what we "think" is the issue.

Sometimes you just need to talk face to face with someone.

• Like 1