Quantcast

securing title in texas for unpaid repairs

We have a vehicle that was diagnosed as needing a head job. Customer does not want to do the work and has promised several times over 3 months to have vehicle towed. No attempt to pick up vehicle has been made and customer has stopped answering and returning calls. I am new to managing in the auto repair industry and would like to know if anyone knows to secure a title or get a mechanics lien in Texas. Everything I have read online is very confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can recall, you must first send the customer 3 certified letters to prove that you have attempted to contact them. If for any reason you do not have their address go to the tax office and pay the fee to obtain it. After that, it's just a matter of paper work, title transfers, payment, and you can sell/keep the vehicle once it's all finalized.

I do not know about Texas but In AZ. you must have a signed work order to place a lien on a vehicle. Even then you can not legally hold the vehicle and must go to court. I was instructed by a DMV officer to place storage fees on no shows, then file for an abandoned title. They cannot remove the vehicle until storage fees are paid. My posted sign shows $25 a day storage starting 3 days after work is completed. This is for my protection. I will store vehicles under special circumstances but it give me a legal foot hold.

http://txdmv.gov/reports-and.../1013-vtr-265-m-mechanic-s-lien-foreclosure

This is the form with instructions issued by the State. Not too big of a deal if you have a signature authorizing repairs. If not, you will most likely need to seek legal advice. Hope this helps!

The form is # VTR-265-M

Bradley

Edited by Bradley

I bet the car is owned by a finance company. If you wait, they might come looking for it and it will be easier to recover some of you bill from them. See if you can find out if there is a lien on the car and contact the finance company. If there is a GPS on the car, they will come find you. Make sure you have an invoice for the amount you hope to recover.

The signature on the work request is paramount. In VA, that's the first thing the judge wants to see. We got burned a couple of times before we made that part of our process.