Quantcast

mccannable

3rd party warranty and conflict of interest?

I have a 3rd party warranty on my personal car and was pondering the legality of my shop doing the repairs. I am an absentee owner and the repairs are legitimate. I read the entire policy and read no issues. I assume, seeing as it's a corporation and not a sole proprietor, it is a separate entity. Feel free to add opinions or facts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By CAautogroup
      Hi all,
      I was wondering where do you typically display your shop warranty policies? Sign posted in office, at the bottom of the invoice, bottom of signed work order, on your website?

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Nick 
    • By [email protected]
      Is there a way to get GM to pay labor warranty? I have a customer's 2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0L Automatic. Oil pan threads were stripped and we got a new oil pan from local Chevrolet dealer (very pricey) and labor intensive. When I got the oil pan new in the box, it had metal shavings from the casting marks to which we cleaned out and it was fine. We installed the oil pan and after putting some mileage on it, we noticed oil on the ground. After lifting it up we discovered that the oil pan has factory casting marks and oil was literally seeping through the bottom of the pan through the casting mark. The tech is not happy, I am not happy and I'm about to call the customer to tell them the news so they won't be happy paying for more rental car time.
      I called the parts department from the dealer that I purchased from and told them what happened and they can exchange the pan but they don't pay labor. Very frustrating cause of the labor involved and the customer who had a rental car for about a week now and already turned it in today thinking she was getting her car? Is there a way to get labor reimbursement? I already tried the GM 800 number and filed a complaint and they said it would be about 2 business days or whatever before I get a call back from a rep. Does anybody know how to find a local GM rep to come see their crappy product?
      Joseph
    • By BroyotaMark
      I was just wondering the most competitive 3rd party tire warranty programs.  Let me know who you use, thanks.
    • By sparkerauto
      So I have been in business for almost three years, my shop is located in the city but in an area that is almost like a little town. My shop is set back in the back so people can't really see it from the street. I still get I never new you guys were here I have been living in the neighborhood for years. So I was thinking at the beginning of the summer doing some type of party, we have a lot of kids in the area so maybe something fun for them and also raise money for a charity ? Just to get people in the area together and then get our name out there. Has anyone done anything like this ? How has it worked out ? Thanks for the input !
    • By Mike Walter
      I am thinking of selling Road Hazard Warranties to my customers.

The problem I am having with this program ( TechNet has a great program) is having my Advisors selling a Road Hazard warranty and seeing that 80% of the vehicles we service are AWD or 4WD, I don't feel comfortable selling the warranty when 9 times out of 10 , the other 3 tires will have to be replaced ( depending on tread depth ).

I researched this great site and the web in general and I don't see anyone discussing this.

Of course honesty and integrity comes into play here and I don't feel comfortable selling something that looks deceitful from the customers point of view if they ever have an issue with a tire that is covered by the Road Hazard warranty and then telling them that we will cover the one tire but because they are driving a Subie ( we service ALOT of Subies ) we will have to charge them for the other 3 tires because there is more than 2/32 difference in tread depth between the new tire and the other 3 tires.

We could inform the customer of this when selling the Road Hazard warranty, but would you buy a Road Hazard warranty when it only covers the one tire that is damaged, knowing you will probably have pay to replace the other 3 tires ?

Also, after my Advisors take the time to explain the whole tire circumference thing and how it could cause drivetrain damage, etc., chances are customers will just be confused and that wont help trying to upsell the Road Hazard warranty or for that matter the whole customer experience when purchasing tires.

Tire shaving is not available any where in Colorado that I have found after extensive research.
      Its a lost art except for competitive racers at dirt or asphalt tracks, which Colorado has maybe a total of 5 tracks that I can think of.

Tire rack does it but they don't sell Cooper tires ( which is what we sell the most of ).

A little Quagmire going on here ?

Purchasing a new tire shaving machine ( $10k for a quality one ) would resolve this quagmire and could be a profit center all by itself if marketed correctly, seeing as no one in Denver ( we are 45 minutes from downtown, 20 minutes from the western suburbs ) is offering this service.

Any input from you great folks would be appreciated.

Thank you , Mike.

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors