Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

Trust your ears; listen and write exactly what the customer says

Trust your ears; listen and write exactly what the customer says

That’s the advice I preach to my service advisors. I remember a few years back I overheard a customer give a 5 minute explanation of a no start problem. When the customer was finished, the service advisor typed on the tech word order: “Check battery." Boy was I furious.

Customers give you clues to the problem. Do not translate or change in any way, the thoughts and words of the customer. Take the time to listen and write down exactly what the customer states.

About 10 years ago, a customer, Dave Bell, came in saying that every time he passes Mrs. Murphy’s driveway, the transmission would slip. I took the car out on a few road tests and found nothing wrong. I gave the car back to him and he returned 2 days later insisting that it had something to do with Mrs. Murphy’s driveway.

After a little detective work I learned that the problem only occurs in the morning. Each morning he would back the car down his driveway. Then he would put in drive and proceed down the block. Then he made a stop at the corner, turned right up a steep incline where he passed Mrs. Murphy’s driveway. There he felt the slip. It had nothing to do with poor Mrs. Murphy, but everything to do with the steep incline. Obviously he had a transmission issue.

I learned long ago not to discount what customers say. Your ears can be an important part of the diagnostic process.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      With so many uncertainties these days, there is one strategy that we can all do that will help to smooth out our overall sales and customer visits throughout the year.   Make sure the experience is always amazing during the entire customer visit. And perform the car delivery that gives the customer a reason to return.
      Here's the key part before any customer leaves your shop: Make sure you discuss their next service appointment and any other future recommendation.  Let them know that they will get a reminder by either post card, email or text.  BUT, there is one more thing you can do to boost your customer retention, get permission from your customer to call them a week prior to their next appointment.  Yes, give them a phone call.  Try it, and give it time to work.
      Oh....won't work, you're thinking??? Well, here's list of businesses that do it: Dentists, doctors, nail salons, hair dressers, chimney cleaners, boiler service companies and Successful Auto Repair shops. 
    • By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      Keep Your Shop's Summer Momentum Going! 
      Elite's Supercharge Your Shop, a series of 4 live online courses for shop owners, starts Sept 14th! 
      Learn to master your shop's numbers, recruit the top techs & advisors, maximize employee productivity, fill up your bays with your ideal customers and more!
      These live online courses will be taught by industry superstars Joe Marconi and Kevin Vaught, who have both experienced extraordinary success as shop owners, so everything you'll learn has been proven to generate extraordinary real world results!
       You have the option to either enroll in the whole Supercharge Your Shop course series, or pick and choose the individual courses that will help your shop the most. Here's the course schedule:
      Sept 14-15 - Mastering Your Shop's Numbers and Cost Control
      Sept 16-17 - Hiring America's Top Techs & Advisors
      Sept 21-22 - Maximizing Employee Morale, Productivity and Profits
      Sept 23-24 - Filling Up Your Service Bays with the Ideal Customers
      To enroll in the complete series of these 4 live online courses, just visit our Supercharge Your Shop Page to reserve one of our last openings!

This is your last chance to enroll your service advisors in Elite's Masters Service Advisor Training Program starting September 10-12! 
      To ensure that we're able to comply with social distancing and keep your advisors safe, this is a rare opportunity for your advisors to receive this industry leading sales training entirely online! 
      Your advisors will not only receive 100% of the training that we offer at the live 3-day course, but you'll be able to save on travel and hotel expenses, and your advisors won't have to spend any extra time out of the shop due to travel. Most importantly, after the initial 3 days of online training, your service advisors will still get the identical 6 months of sales coaching from Ratchet & Wrench All-Star Award winner Jen Monclus, which has been proven to increase sales by an AVERAGE of $10,750 per month after the training!
      This is your last chance to enroll, so give us a call at 800-204-3548 to take advantage of this rare opportunity. For more info, feel free to visit our Masters Program web page. 
    • By Joe Marconi
      I know it's not going to be Back to School as usual this year, but there will be increased traffic on the road as more people perform school-related errands.  It's your obligation to your customers and the community to make sure the roads are safe.
      Many people have neglected their cars the past few months, making a lot of opportunity for your shop.  
      Get your Fall/Back to School marketing plan in place today!
      Want to share ideas?  Even Better! 

Special Announcement

Elite's September 10-12 Masters Service Advisor Training Program Will Be Presented Entirely Online!  

Only a Few Seats Left!

To ensure that we're able to comply with social distancing and keep your advisors safe, our Masters Service Advisor Training Program starting September 10-12 will be presented entirely online! 

Your advisors will not only receive 100% of the training that we offer at the live 3-day course, but you'll be able to save on travel and hotel expenses, and your advisors won't have to spend any extra time out of the shop due to travel. Most importantly, after the initial 3 days of online training, your service advisors will still get the identical 6 months of sales coaching from Ratchet & Wrench All-Star Award winner Jen Monclus, which has been proven to increase sales by an AVERAGE of $10,750 per month after the training!

There are only a few seats left, so to reserve your advisor's spot, just give us a call at 800-204-3548. For more info, feel free to visit our Masters Program web page. 

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors