Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Update: Advance Auto Parts Meeting

I was among a handful of shop owners yesterday, March 14, who attended a meeting with BWP/CARQUEST and Advance Auto Parts. As we all know, Advance Auto Parts has purchased BWP/CARQUEST in the North East.

I can tell you when I first heard the news back in December, I was stunned. My prior perception of Advance was not good. To me, Advance was a company dedicated to the DIY market, a retailer who had no understanding of the aftermarket independent repair shops. The shops in my area have a strong relationship with the Stockel family (owners of BWP/CARQUEST), and even though Advance has two stores in our area, shops did not buy from them, always remaining loyal to CARQUEST.

Well, after sitting in on the meeting yesterday, I can tell you that Advance is committed to making changes that will have a positive impact on our industry. They are willing to sit down and listen to us. Advance has been working on programs and information systems that will rival other companies and are a huge benefit to independent shops.

Advance understands where the market is going, and it’s not the back yard weekend warrior. I did voice my reasons why I had a negative perception: Free check engine light scans at the store, free battery installations in the parking lot, free battery and alternator testing, etc. However, they were very open and wanted to know exactly what it was about their current marketing and advertising that upsets shop owners.

I walked out the meeting feeling a lot better than when I walked in. I was impressed by the people from Advance and their willingness to listen and help us. In the coming months Advance will be working with shops and bringing to the aftermarket many exciting programs. I also have a strong feeling that Advance will change their marketing and put more focus on building bridges with independent shops owners and tear down some of the walls that were constructed from prior ad campaigns.

Perhaps the key to all this rests in knowing that the Stockels, (owners of BWP) are staying on for a period of time working through this transition and integration period. There is a strong feeling that the culture of relationships will remain intact, making this a powerful alliance and one that will greatly benefit the aftermarket.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      If you have a repair shop business in New York State that you are looking to sell, please let me know.   I will keep this strictly confidential.  Criteria required, shops with 6 plus bays. Other details to be explained.  Please email me: [email protected]

• By JustTheBest
      Hello Everyone! Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving as much as I did. I wanted to bring this topic up because of PEP BOYS recent "expansion" into launching their "mobile" service. I was interested in your thoughts. Are mobile mechanics a threat to your shop in any way? What are your thoughts? Do they/can they provide the service that today's cars need? 

Or, on the other hand, do you operate as a mobile tech? What are the struggles you face. From what I am hearing, people "seem" to expect mobile to be cheaper. 

Only trying to start a discussion about this - and really because, from what I am seeing, there's a lot of buzz around the Pep Boys effort. 
      Comments? Really interested to know your thoughts. 

Matthew Lee
      "The Car Count Fixer"

PS: Join me on YouTube and check out this totally FREE on-line course I'm offers- "How to Double your Car Count in 89 Days!"
    • By Dakotaj96
      Hello everyone 

I am looking to open up my new shop within 3 months and honestly feel a little in over my head, I’ve spent days reading on here and while it’s awesome I feel I need something more formal. The main 2 things I’ve found has been the RLO training course or the Ron Ipach fast lane training program. Has anyone one taken either of these courses or have a different one to recommend? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      Many of you might have heard of fellow shop owner, Audra Fordin. Her shop is located in Queens, New York and is doing something outstanding for our industry. She has been recognized in the news media and in many trade publications.

She started a web site called WOMEN “AUTO” KNOW. Not only is it brilliant marketing, she has created a program that is actually helping to improve the image of our industry.

I urge you to check out her web site and “Take the Pledge” and join her organization. At the very least, you owe it to yourself and to our industry to find out what she is all about. Trust me, you will be impressed.

Here’s the link to her site and her shop:
      http://www.womenautoknow.com/
    • By Joe Marconi
      Below is a link to an article about Obenbay's debut with an online virtual service advisor. Is this the future?  Or will technology remove that personal touch.  For me, someone that has built a business on strong relationships and human customer touch points, this is something I am not sure of.  But then again, what about the millennials and the Z generation?  
      https://www.openbay.com/blog/openbay-launches-industry-first-artificial-intelligence-powered-automotive-service-advisor/
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors