Quantcast

Inventory Tax Tip

When speaking to shop owners around the country, the issue of inventory often comes up. What to stock, what not to stock, is a common question. Some shops are located in rural areas and many are located within minutes of a parts house. So, deciding how much inventory you stock depends on your particular situation.

One thing to consider, if having additional inventory helps increase production, (batteries, belts, air filters, cabin filters, oil filters, wiper blades, etc.) it may be a good idea to stock these fast movers. Increasing production will pay for itself, plus you may be able to negotiate a better price with your supplier when you stock these items.

As far as taxes are concerned, inventory falls under the expenses category until you actually sell it. Inventories are unused assets that are tax deductible. There are different types of inventory eligible for deduction. Parts and material you stock are eligible. It is important that you take an accurate count and do not estimate your inventory. Before you do your tax return this year, perform an accurate inventory count and speak to your accountant.

At my shop we have an Inventory Party. We ask for a few volunteers to stay for an hour or so after work and either order in food or I take the guys to Chili’s or another local restaurant. Food is a powerful motivator.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By CAautogroup
      Hello all,

I would like to know what software other shops use to track inventory (ie filters, wiper blades, etc). Any luck with a barcode scanner?

We are still old fashioned at our shop and looking to make a change to compensate for loss of time and profit.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and answers.

Nick
      CA Auto Group
    • By 5 Star Auto Spa
      For all of the shops that do NOT specialize in one make of vehicle, what types of coolant do you carry? There seems to be an over abundance of different types of coolant on the market and it seems kinda crazy to carry all 15 of the different types. Just trying to get an idea of what other shops keep in their inventory......
    • By CAautogroup
      How do you guys control your in house inventory? Do you have any programs in particular that may be of any use? We are currently doing are inventory every week by pen and paper, and yes, it does led to mistakes of "not" having a product in stock, when in fact we do.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
    • By Vigen
      Hello everyone,
      I am a mechanic shop and body shop owner here in las vegas and I opened up the paint and body part of the business about 2 years ago.

I am just looking for some tips on how you guys manage and keep track of the inventory/materials in the back,
      I do have a body shop manager that runs the whole show and he seems to be doing a good job but I dont want to rely on just hes 'expertise'. 2 heads are better than 1!
      The paint for the paint booth is digitally tracked, (when someone uses some it measures the weight when it goes back into the rack and notifies my paint company and they send me weekly reports as well as refills)
      so there really is no need for the paint,
      but for all the other materials (ie tapes, poly urethane, wax, the metal glaze stuff, respirators, you guys know what i mean) i need a good way to keep track of these items.

I don't really have a way of keeping track of these inventories right now but i would like to establish one.

THanks in advance guys! and girls!
    • By Dan Winter
      I am trying to come up with the best 10 or 15 tire sizes to stock at my location. There really isn't a good source for same day delivery in my area. And this being souther california, the capital of "I want it now", if I don't have them in stock, my chances of making the sale drop significantly.

I don't have enough of my own sales history to be of any help, and I don't really trust my local distributors to give me the best information either.

So I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys.

My area is mild climate, so no need for snow or A T tires, just the most common passenger car and light truck sizes.

Thanks
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors