Quantcast

Marketing for new services: Alignment and Wheel Service

Hey another question for the pros out there. We will be receive out new Wheel and Alignment equipment and it has been a service that we have previously not offered. Other than getting on your customer database and sending out a email notification, what are other ways that you have found successful in driving new business from Wheel and Alignment services?

LET EVERYONE KNOW that with your precision wheel alignments they will get longer tire life and better fuel mileage. A true salesman is ALWAYS closing the deal. Every car/truck you run accross in your neighborhood/area with worn tires (immediate need) should be contacted. I've pre sold a lot of alignments

at the gas station while i was getting gas just by passing out a card.

B)

I am going to through you a curve ball, so please have an open mind. Ok? Let's say you hurt your shoulder real bad and you are in real pain, do your search for a doctor that has a Siemens Magnetom Viva MRI or a Philips Achieva 3.0T X-Series MRI ? Would you even know or care what brand MRI a doctor has? Or do you seek out the best doctor with the reputation and credentials for the problem you are having?

Markerting and advertising is all about how you convey your unique message to your profile customer base. How you differentiate your shop from the shop down the road. It's not your tools, your equipment or parts that bring people to your doorstep, it's you and how well you communicate your brand and message.

Now, with that said, you can go to other shops and body shops to see if you can get their business (if you want it). We do a lot of alignments for other shops and body shops. But as far as marketing my Hunter to the public, it's not needed.

You can and should make an announcement that your company has expanded it's service to now include wheel alignments. That shows that you are growing and want to take care of the customers. But, make that your message, promote the fact that you will continue to seek ways to improve the level of service you provide to your loyal and valuable customers. Marketing is a focus on customer value, not on the product or attributes of our company.

Hope this makes sense.

I understand what your trying to say. Very good advice. My goal should definitely be to focus on the value of the service and how to properly convey that to my customers. I have been debating on the wholesale alignment thing. I suppose it shouldnt be too bad considering its a straight forward service compared to diagnosing/programming for other shops which I do on occasion.

LET EVERYONE KNOW that with your precision wheel alignments they will get longer tire life and better fuel mileage. A true salesman is ALWAYS closing the deal. Every car/truck you run accross in your neighborhood/area with worn tires (immediate need) should be contacted. I've pre sold a lot of alignments

at the gas station while i was getting gas just by passing out a card.

B)

Thanks for the input, I will try that.

• 2 weeks later...

I would certainly recommend that you send a notice to your customers .That's like generating new leads... but to the best audience you have. They already know you.

But Joe is right. It's how it's presented. Nobody wants to by wheel alignment. In fact, I am willing to bet that 9 out of 10 (or maybe all 10 out of 10) don't even know they need it.

Then... what's the benefit to ME as a customer? People don't buy features... like fancy equipment. They all listen to WIFM Radio. That's What's In it For Me?

So then you have to 'hit them in the head' with the pain. "Tires can cost hundreds of dollars each. Let me show you how to protect that investment!"

Okay, maybe that's not an award winning line... but you should get the drift. The benefit to the customer is saving his tires. Its NOT about your service.

Hope this helps!

Matthew

I would certainly recommend that you send a notice to your customers .That's like generating new leads... but to the best audience you have. They already know you.

But Joe is right. It's how it's presented. Nobody wants to by wheel alignment. In fact, I am willing to bet that 9 out of 10 (or maybe all 10 out of 10) don't even know they need it.

Then... what's the benefit to ME as a customer? People don't buy features... like fancy equipment. They all listen to WIFM Radio. That's What's In it For Me?

So then you have to 'hit them in the head' with the pain. "Tires can cost hundreds of dollars each. Let me show you how to protect that investment!"

All good points. I've got families /customers/neighbors in trouble. They have two tires showing steel cord but can only afford one. I have several customers postponing state inspections due to tires being bad. My "service" may just be to assist them with the tires/alignment today. Yes it's done on a case by case basis but i like to "protect my customer"

Edited by FROGFINDER

Hi FROGFINDER,

I understand what you're saying. In fact, a lot of the shop owners I talk to or work with tell me that their customers are 'too cheap'. I only ask them one question. "Who attracted them?".

Not trying to 'hammer' you. Not at all. But regardless of economic times, there is still the exact same amount of money on the plant. It didn't go anywhere. It's just that people are looking for the value. It's all in how you position yourself in the market. It's a matter of being the 'authority' and recognized as a well trusted source. I am not implying that you're not trusted... but it's all about how the customer sees you.

Hope this helps!