Quantcast

We All Make Mistakes

My top tech had an unfortunate comeback the other day that cost us dearly. He had been stepping us his game for the past month or so, mainly because the work was beginning to flow in and he knew that due to mediocre winter sales, the shop needed to play catch up. Maybe in retrospect, I should have pulled the reins back a bit. I have seen this before when great techs get too caught up in production and sometimes quality suffers.

The tech felt really bad and worked on his own time, coming in early, staying late and even coming in on Saturday to fix the problem. I did not come down on him too hard, I am convinced he genuinely felt bad and was willing to make amends.

My job now is to insure that his confidence level is ok. I spoke to the foreman and we both agreed to dispatch to him a few basic jobs and to more closely monitor his work for the next week or so. This tech is not only a great producer, but has a great personality and a morale booster.

I don’t want to minimize the mistake in any way, but we all make mistakes, including me.

I thought I would share this with other shop owners, I know you have all been down this road too.

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Guest Host and Shop Tour with Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX. Four years ago Todd left his medical sales job and became the new owner of TC Auto Service.
      Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX.
      Key Talking Points
      Was in medical device sales but looking to make a change. His great grandfather, grandfather, and father were all in the automotive business Was a customer of the business and bought the business from the owner (who was 80 years old) Senior tech has been with the business for over 30 years- loves to teach and help others, maintains quality. He is a mentor for apprentices.  ‘Running out of concrete' as they started growing- purchased satellite location  7 lifts total Look at productivity by technician weekly- scoreboard with names listed, fun competition Drive through lanes with vehicles- 3 lanes  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Another informative episode with NAPA’s VP of Emerging Technology, Susan Starnes. We talk about NAPA’s support for all their customers as they focus on providing tools, parts, and training to meet all the future technology needs so we can seize every opportunity to repair the newest high-tech vehicles.
      Susan Starnes, Vice President, Emerging Markets of Genuine Parts Company
      Key Talking Points
      General discussion about the penetration of EVs, ADAS, connectivity Her team works closely with training NexDrive program- equipt shops to service EV’s and hybrids, started in the Netherlands in 2020. Looking to roll out and test in the US soon. Having products, training and communication and support around the program.  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      I have heard from a few shop owners, that they are afraid to send their techs to a training event because they fear that they will be recruited by another shop.  How do you feel about this?
      Perhaps it's time to sit down with your techs and see if all is ok?  People quit for a number of reasons. Should we get ahead of this, if this is a real problem these days? 

• By Joe Marconi
      Wishing everyone a Happy Labor Day!  I hope you take the time to spend with family and friends. You deserve a little R&R.

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      The word OSHA makes many shop owners cringe. 
      I was lucky enough years back to have my insurance agent suggest I perform a voluntary OSHA inspection. A private company did it at the time.   
      They found tons of violations; some we knew would be flagged, but most we did not. 
      Have you ever had an OSHA inspection? And what can shop owners do to protect themselves? 

• Our Sponsors

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250