Quantcast

Incentive Plans for Technicians

I wanted to start an incentive plan for my technicians to try and light a little fire behind them to WANT to try and get the jobs done quickly (my shop currently pays hourly - no flat rate). Does anyone have a good incentive plan that they have used or are using currently at their shop? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Well I have never been a fast mechanic because in my personal opinion fast = sloppy. However; if you are looking to cut out "dead air" time with your mechanics, possibly a small profit sharing incentive will improve that. Hourly rate + commission for the job.

I wanted to start an incentive plan for my technicians to try and light a little fire behind them to WANT to try and get the jobs done quickly (my shop currently pays hourly - no flat rate). Does anyone have a good incentive plan that they have used or are using currently at their shop? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have used a Flat Rate incentive program for the last 30yrs successfully w/less than 1% comeback or repair complaints. But this only works if you have a religious & stiff quality control program in place to make sure it doesn't get "sloppy or out of control".

We do this thru training our techs w/weekly video training programs, weekly shop status meetings which include round table discussions between mgmnt & tech's, spot checking the jobs with random QC tests drives/inspections from svc mgr & a follow-up call to the customer w/i days of there p/u.

These procedures have always taken a little extra time & commitment, but the results are great! The tech's are happy & profitable, as the owner--I'm happy & profitable, the shop has a good vibe & flow & the most important thing is the customers are happy & actually overwhelmed that a Auto Shop would follow-up with them to make sure they're satisfied with the work & performance of their vehicle.

Thats my best suggestion of what I know works with the proper management & implementation. Good Luck, Rod

• 3 months later...

When paying an hourly rate you could create a tiered pay matrix. When charged hours range between

00.00 - 50.00 pay $15.00/hour

50.01 - 70.00 pay $17.00/hour

70.01 + pay $20.00/hour

The number of hours the tech is payed for is up to you (Actual hours or Charged Hours)