Quantcast

Trouble Finding Techs?

Great Tire Deal

The problem I can tell you Joe is most of the "techs" graduating from these places I wouldn't hire to wash my car. Being fairly close to Nashville Auto Diesel college the dealership that I worked at for a long time use to hire a lot of students for oil lube techs while they were going to school. This is how I got started. In the class I graduated from 15 yrs ago there were only about 1/2 the class that I would even let touch my car. My experience says most of them are looking to get out of the house and party not actually learning to start a career in the automotive world.

I know the tech school here (Stark State) does very little hands on education (actual repair work) with their students. Most of it is book work, repair theory, learning how to use the new scantools, DMMs, etc... The few cars they do work on are brand new cars donated to them. It isn't bad loosening bolts on a car that is only 8 months old. Try loosening suspension bolts on a car that has seen 7 or 8 good Lake Erie winters. Not so fun.

I have been told they don't do more hands on repairs in the shop due to insurance liability because of past injuries.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only place I have found anyone worth hiring lately is from Craigslist. The local paper and other media have been a waste of money. But it is tough, tough, tough finding anyone.

True, Sad but true. B)

Automotive skills. and 100 grand worth of tools , like common knowledge is not so common in today's world. B)