Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Lead Mechanic Responsibilities

Hello All,

I am a shop owner that does not come from an automotive service/mechanic background. Its quite a long story on how I got into this business so I'll go into that in another thread. We currently have 4 mechanics at my shop. We have one ASE Master Mechanic, one State Inspector, and 2 B Level Mechanics. We pay our techs hourly and not flat rate. The dilemma I'm having is what responsibilities do you all put on your Lead Tech? Like any other shop, we have our busy times and we have our slow times. Obviously during the busy times the lead tech is busy servicing vehicles. Its the slow times that I'm looking for in terms of responsibilities you all put on your Lead Tech. I expect my Lead Tech to train jr. techs, create processes other jr. techs should follow, clean/maintenance of shop, think of coupons/marketing to generate additional customers, etc. Is this asking the Lead Tech for too much? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

PS.....this site is really great!

Hello All,

I am a shop owner that does not come from an automotive service/mechanic background. Its quite a long story on how I got into this business so I'll go into that in another thread. We currently have 4 mechanics at my shop. We have one ASE Master Mechanic, one State Inspector, and 2 B Level Mechanics. We pay our techs hourly and not flat rate. The dilemma I'm having is what responsibilities do you all put on your Lead Tech? Like any other shop, we have our busy times and we have our slow times. Obviously during the busy times the lead tech is busy servicing vehicles. Its the slow times that I'm looking for in terms of responsibilities you all put on your Lead Tech. I expect my Lead Tech to train jr. techs, create processes other jr. techs should follow, clean/maintenance of shop, think of coupons/marketing to generate additional customers, etc. Is this asking the Lead Tech for too much? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

PS.....this site is really great!

I do believe in the concept of a lead tech, great question! I will give you my job description of our lead tech. First, lead techs should have leadership qualities, above all. He or she needs to be competent as a tech and the expertise to work through problems. A lead tech must also help organize the work flow and help other techs with proper diagnosis, procedures and policies. And lastly, a lead tech must insure quality control by reviewing the job, road testing maintaining communications between the service writers and technicians. Housekeeping is another issue; techs should keep their area clean, tools put away, etc. But, I don’t want my lead tech spending too much time on watching over that too. We have a part time cleaning person to help with that.

The lead tech, along with other techs can be involved and should be involved in creating workflow processes and procedures. However, a lead tech should not be involved with marketing or any other customer service programs. That's asking too much, plus their expertise is in the shop, not in customer service/marketing.

Also, depending on the shop, asking the lead tech to handle certain training may be excessive also. It's one thing to show a tech a scope pattern, but it's another to teach a tech a full-blown course on different subjects, that should be left to actual training seminars.

Hope this helps, and again, great question!

BTW: I am glad you like the site!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now