Quantcast

Joe Marconi

More and More Rusted Out Vehicles?

Is it me, or are we finding more and more rusted and rotted brake lines than ever before? I know those of you in the south, where you never have snow, may not see this, but in the northeast we are seeing an ever increasing amount of rusted brake lines. We are also seeing an increased amount of rusted-through frames and rotted fuel lines.

I have heard that many towns and cities use a different chemical, combined with salt to coat the road during and after a snow storm, but I really can’t verify what every municipality does along the rust belt.

But here’s what interesting; it seems the most cars that are affected are those makes and models from the past 10 or 12 years, or so. For example; we see a lot of Chevy and Ford trucks with this problem, but we see older trucks, from the early 90’s or 80’’s they don’t seem to be as affected.

Would like to hear from other shops along the Rust Belt…

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• New from South Dakota

I have been on here for a while and I am looking for some help. I am a technician at a heavy truck dealership that is dead in the water. My father was a truck mechanic as well, and as a hobby he did car restoration in his shop at home. I grew up in the shop working with him and developed the same hobby. In the 1990s my father and I started an automotive machine shop that was, under the circumstances a success. During that time he was diagnosed with leukemia and unfortunately passed away. A year after that I had a son that was diagnosed with leukemia as well but he pulled through and 20 years later has good health today. I sold the machine shop business because of stress and I needed more time to focus on my family.  17 years ago I invested the funds from the sale of the business and purchased a one acre commercial lot and had a 45 by 75 morton building put up. I have been using it for a hobby shop. I don't owe anything on the property now. Through the years I have been doing odd jobs to pay utilities and property taxes. What income I had left over I used it to fill the shop with a variety of equipment. I have been doing a great variety of things in the shop and not to brag but I have developed a large skillet set. Welding and fabricating has been a major part of the work I do, and I have all of the equipment to start. Yet I have a car hoist, trans jack and tools to start an automotive repair shop. I am 49 years old and working on big trucks is really starting to take a toll on my body. My dream has been to be self employed again in my own shop full time, but I am having a hard time deciding what to specialize in.  Some of my concerns are getting health insurance (currently my family is insured through my work) and would I be able to make a decent working by myself without employees starting out?     

By Dyce, in New Member's Area

• 1 reply
    • [Brand Choice] Automotive Brake Pads

Automotive Brake Pads   What is your preferred brand of automotive brake pads and why? Who is the supplier of that brake pad to you? What is the warranty on those pads? Who manufactures those brake pads? What grade are those brake pads, low end, mid, high end? Are they ceramic, semi-metallic, organic, or blend?

By Alex, in Automotive Products & Services

• 47 replies
    • Tire rotations & brake checks

What are you charging for tire rotations and brake inspections if brakes are not done? We charge $16.00 for a rotation and a general brakes check for .50hr or $48.00

By spencersauto, in General Automotive Discussion

• 3 replies
    • snow tires

I had a customer come in this week wanting the snow tires "HE" put on in November taken off. Not a bad Idea since we have had no snow this winter. When I saw his car I started to laugh, he had studded snow tire on his older buick. Take a look at the picture and you will see why I laughed. Not where the snow tires are !

By skm, in General Automotive Discussion

• 1 reply
    • Auto Repair In South King County For Sale

Located on a very busy street in South King County, this is a well-established auto repair shop that has been in business for 20+ years. The shop offers a wide range of auto repair services including   View the full listing

By AutoShopOwner, in Automotive Business Opportunities

• 0 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors