Quantcast

Joe Marconi

More and More Rusted Out Vehicles?

Is it me, or are we finding more and more rusted and rotted brake lines than ever before? I know those of you in the south, where you never have snow, may not see this, but in the northeast we are seeing an ever increasing amount of rusted brake lines. We are also seeing an increased amount of rusted-through frames and rotted fuel lines.

I have heard that many towns and cities use a different chemical, combined with salt to coat the road during and after a snow storm, but I really can’t verify what every municipality does along the rust belt.

But here’s what interesting; it seems the most cars that are affected are those makes and models from the past 10 or 12 years, or so. For example; we see a lot of Chevy and Ford trucks with this problem, but we see older trucks, from the early 90’s or 80’’s they don’t seem to be as affected.

Would like to hear from other shops along the Rust Belt…

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By gandgautorepair
      Wondering how you all handle repair work to your own vehicles. How do you pay, how do you handle parts costs, write an RO or not, how does it affect gross sales.
      I currently write an RO, pay the guys time just like any other job, but cost the parts to myself. The RO is for zero sales but has tech time charged to it. Wondering how others do it. I also have too many vehicles...
    • By mspecperformance
      http://www.autonews.com/article/20170124/RETAIL05/170129948/ford-will-offer-parts-for-non-ford-vehicles

Dealers after your customers? Yup.
    • By Alex
      Honda sent this to us along with the attached pdf poster.

Attention: Please Post This Important Safety Information for Your Customer

Last year, American Honda released a poster designed to help keep your customers safe. That poster identified certain Honda and Acura vehicles that may have been affected by the Takata airbag inflator recalls affecting customers at that time. Since then, the inflator recalls have expanded, so we have provided an updated poster below that includes additional Honda and Acura vehicles that were not part of the earlier recalls. Please expect the physical copy of the poster inside the following publications in the second week of September: Brake &Front End, ImportCar, Underhood Service, Tire Review, BodyShop Business, and Counterman. It includes a toll free phone number and web addresses where you or your customers can check a vehicle’s recall completion status. Please replace your existing posters with this latest version, and if you do not already have a poster on display, please share this information with your employees and customers right away by placing this poster in a visible location.

Please note that the new poster also distinguishes those vehicles considered to be of highest risk of rupture. This determination was made by the federal government based on scientific analysis by Takata of PSDI front driver airbag inflators – so-called “Alpha” inflators – removed from recalled 2001-2003 Honda and Acura vehicles in the state of Florida revealed a very high rupture rate in laboratory testing. Based on this analysis, Honda concurs with the U.S. Secretary of Transportation’s recommendation that this particular sub-group of 313,000 “Alpha” vehicles should only be driven to a dealer in order to have their Takata airbag inflators replaced as rapidly as possible. There is an abundant supply of replacement inflators and the repair is free of charge and can be completed quickly.

With your help, we can help ensure that our shared customers are driving a vehicle that is safe. Please check VINs at recalls.honda.com for Honda vehicles and recalls.acura.comfor Acura vehicles or call 1(888) 234-2138 for open recalls. If a vehicle needs a recall repair, please advise the vehicle’s owner to contact their local dealer immediately to arrange the free repair.

Again, please keep this poster in a convenient location for your staff and customers to see.

American Honda Motor, Co., Inc. appreciates your support and cooperation in this effort to help keep our shared customers safe.

09TG_16HondaPoster.pdf
    • By HarrytheCarGeek
      http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspections/tailpipe.htm

They did away with the safety portion in 2010, take a wild guess what has happened to the auto repair business?

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/PressReleases/archives/2010/071610.htm

It's all political wrangling, yet the people that have a vested interest in the matter are not represented. At the end of the day, it seems to me that one must become politically involved.
    • By ADP
      We just had a really bad hail storm blow through the shop. To make a long story short every truck facing north (9 of them) got windows busted out, and extensive hail damage. We had what we could in the shop, but there was a lot of them outside. Should we be responsible for the damage done to the trucks? I'm not really sure how to handle this. I don't want a bunch of angry customers when we tell them to file it under there insurance. Just not real sure what to do right now. I will be getting in touch with my insurance guy tomorrow and see what he says.
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors