Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Check Vital Signs and Drive More Sales

Check Vital Signs and Drive More Sales

Think total car care, each time every time

Every shop owner knows the value of performing a multipoint inspection. But, is it done properly and on a consistent basis? From my work with many shop owners, I found that although most shops have a process in place, the multipoint inspection is not being consistently.

Technicians are wired to focus on the problem at hand. If a customer brings their car in with a Check Engine light issue, most techs will chase down the problem and repair it without a problem. But, what about the rest of the car? Is the car due for any other needed services? Are there any other issues the customer needs to be aware of?

I have challenged many shop owners with the above scenario and have asked, “So, you repaired the check engine light, but were the brakes inspected, fluids checked, tire pressure checked along with other vital systems”?

Look at it this way, when you go to your doctor for any issue, a competent doctor is going to check your blood pressure, heart rate, listen to your chest, look inside your mouth and look in your ears. The doctor looks at your vital signs. To focus only on what the customer brings the car in for is not total car care; it is not doing the right thing for the customer and does nothing for your business.

Obviously, we always need to address the customer’s initial concern first. But each customer should be informed that we also perform a bumper to bumper multipoint inspection and check for any needed maintenance services, which may be due by the current vehicle mileage and other potential problems.

Many shop owners are fearfully of being perceived as being too “pushy” with this approach. I disagree. Let me tell you what happened recently to a friend of mine. My friend’s son brought his car to a shop for a stalling problem. The diagnosis was a faulty mass air sensor, which solved the problem. No multipoint inspection was performed, and the shop tech never checked the oil. On the way home, the oil light came on and the engine began to knock. My friend’s son turned around and brought the car back to the shop.

Back at the shop, the tech checked the oil level, only to find that there was no oil in the engine. He raised the car in the air and found a leaking oil pressure switch. But, it was too late; there was internal damage to the engine.

Now, is the shop “technically” responsible? No. But, would have a multipoint inspection spotted the problem? You bet it would have! My friend did not press the issue or hold the shop responsible, but he will never return to that shop either.

Protect your customer, protect yourself, drive more sales and do the right thing for the customer: Perform those multipoint inspections each time, every time.

I really liked this one Joe. We are currently in the process of transferring from a small, "fix what's broke" shop to a complete car facility. This helps my perspective and I shared it with my manager and service writer at our weekly meeting. Your wisdom is much appreciated and useful.

I really liked this one Joe. We are currently in the process of transferring from a small, "fix what's broke" shop to a complete car facility. This helps my perspective and I shared it with my manager and service writer at our weekly meeting. Your wisdom is much appreciated and useful.

I appreciate it, always glad to help a fellow shop owner!