Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Does anyone use TPMS kits, besides me?

I attended a TECH NET Business Alliance meeting the other night. There were over 20 shops represented. During one of our topic discussions, I was surprised to find that no one really ever services the TPMS kits during a new tire installation. Most were in agreement that too much can go wrong, leave the sensor alone.

My feeling is this; a car with over 100,000 miles is getting its third set of tires and NO ONE has ever replaced the TPMS seal or core???? Just stab the tire to let the air out, mount the new tire, refill and let it go???

Isn't that asking for trouble?

• 1 month later...

I need to tell everyone; I know I am one of the few shops around this country that services TPMS, but I have no problems selling the kits with each tire sale that has TPMS sensors. And we sell a lot of tires.

My service people explain the system to the customer and warns them that due to the fragile design of the sensor, sometimes the sensor core is siezed or the sensor can be damaged during the mounting process.

I don't agree with shops that stab the tire with a knife to let the air out because the core is seized or they don't want to touch the sensor.

That's me, our process works. We SELLl tons of kits and SELL (NOT GIVE AWAY) lots of sensor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Back in the 1990s, some shop owner's feared that fuel injection, 100 mile spark plugs, the elimination of the Distributor cap, rotor and extended fluid services would be our demise. But, that didn't happen. 
      Now I hear many in our industry state that "There is no needed work on an electric vehicle, they are problem free." 
      My opinion, let's not fall into thinking that the EV car will run forever of even for years without needed service.  The EV still has tires, suspension, brakes, and a whole new area of opportunities. It will be different, but there will be a need for the Automotive Technicians and for repair shops.
      Your thoughts? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Guest Host and Shop Tour with Travis Comfort, Rick's Automotive, Springfield, MO. Take a tour of this 28,000-square-foot campus.
      Travis Comfort, Vice President, Rick's Automotive, Springfield, MO.
      Key Talking Points 
      28,000 square feet: 40 employees, 7 service advisors and service director, parts person, 22 technicians, 28 bays. Average 1400 vehicles a month.   First building 1988, fleet 2000, quick service 2012 The second generation- Travis has B.A. in business, and married Rick’s youngest daughter. Worked his way up from cleaning the bays to now Vice President.  Local technical college- works directly with the automotive department Has a dedicated lube bay- has two techs from high school A building- diagnostics, B building- fleet, C building- quick service  Gives the parts suppliers a map of the building  “Known to eat off the shop floor”  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      From what I am hearing from my fellow shop owner friends, the shops in my area, Northeast (New York), auto repair shops are busy and steady. However, there is a feeling from many shop owners to be cautious about the future. 
      Things that give shop owners concern: Inflation, the cost of living affecting the consumer's ability to afford auto repairs, dissatisfaction with the current administration,  and possible recession. 
      Your thoughts? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      According to Lang Marketing Aftermarket Consulting, Mobile repair and service is on the rise. I have mixed feelings about this, since repairing and servicing cars today is so complex.
      BUT, can mobile service be used to attract new customers, or used as a strategy to check the car out at someone's home or work, with the ultimate purpose to get the car to your shop? 
      From Lang Marketing 
      "Mobile Repair currently represents only a small portion of the Do-It-For-Me (DIFM) market, but it is growing at an explosive rate. As the DIFM light vehicle market plunged during 2020 and rebounded in 2021, Mobile Repair grew many times faster than the overall DIFM market, unhindered by the onslaught of COVID-19."
      Sources: 
      Lang Marketing Resources, Automotive Aftermarket Consulting, Research and Analysis  

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      There seem to be mixed opinions on what Business System is the best. And also, not all business systems fit a particular repair shop model.
      There are a lot of new players in the past few years: Auto Leap, Protractor, Teckmetrics, Shop Boss, Shop Monkey, and more.
      Are you happy with your system?  What features are important to you? 

• Our Sponsors

Flash Sale + Social Proof