Quantcast

Phone App

I laughed so hard at your comment Joe... I had to brace myself in my chair. You got out the article the same thing I did. Not only with this new found information make the uneducated driver seem like he just recieved a ray of brillance he/she is going to use this as thier weapon of choice when they go to a repair shop.... How about this instead.... give some credit to the GOOD shops and QUIT going to those hole in the wall-never learned a dam thing repair shops.

You know you don't need to be ASE certified to be a GOOD shop, and YES I might have greasy paws.... BUT, I'm for having a sheep skin like any other trade of service. Maybe if shops had to be rated or had some form of established trade practice this crap wouldn't happen. (read my book, it's in there)

I think thats why I try to find the funny in the all my repair situations.... I gotta laugh at them, I think they can be very entertaining, even though "they" don't get the punch line.

Oh, and BTW... the second car that passes this "Tim Stevens" on that lonely stretch of road is going to be none other than me.... Laughin my A$$ off the whole time...

I am really tired of the disrespect we get from the media. To call us "mechanics with greasy paws", is truly an insult. Are we animals? Why are portrayed like this. I have fought my entire career to change our image. Talk about racism and stereotyping!!!

Here is my response I posted on that site:

"Hey, Tim Stevens, I'm one of those greasy mechanics that you are referring too. To think that an $89.95 devise can take the place of someone like me is a joke. Pulling error messages from the OBDII computer is of no help without knowing how to interpret the data and analyze the computer system. But, that's ok; I hope I see you stuck on the side of the road on a cold rainy night, with a check engine light problem. You won't need me, because you have the Griffin Car Trip, right? Good luck with that, because I will drive right past you!"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”