Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
Dennis R.

Stop credit card processors in their tracks

After 6 different credit card processors called in one day when my daughter was sick and I was answering the phone I knew I had to come up with something to make them quit calling. I thought about it all day long and the next day they called and I had customers in the waiting room that were both business owners themselves. They started their pitch with do you take credit cards ? My answer NO we only take cash we can launder it and we cannot figure out a way to launder the credit card receipts ! All I heard was a gasp and a click as they hung up. I thought the other business owners were going to die laughing. They loved it and have started doing it at their businesses also and the calls just keep getting less and less

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• The person answering your phone may be killing your repair shop

A few weeks back I had a problem with my refrigerator.  I got a referral and called an appliance repair company. I called three times and each time I called this is what happened: "C and E appliance, please hold."  I was put on hold three times for about 5 minutes. After being put on hold each time, a women would say, "What's the problem?"  No engagement, no sign of interest for me the customer, no signs of caring.  I gave the women a brief description of the problem and each time she told me someone would call me back.  Well, no one did. So, I called for the 4th time, and as the person answered the phone I said, "DO NOT PUT ME ON HOLD."  There was silence, so I continued.  I explained to her that she has spoken to me three times,  I left messages three times and three times you told me that someone would call me back.  She replied,  "You are talking to the wrong person, if you have any complaints, write a letter to my boss, after all he won't listen to me anyway."  I hung up the phone and called another company. The lesson and takeaway here is simple: Who's answering your phone?  The wrong people on the phone in your shop can kill your business.  Have meetings with your people. Make sure you review your phone skills policy. If you don't have one, create one.  Empower your people to people to handle issues. And make sure you log every phone call. If you feel you have a problem, start recording phone calls.  Your phone is your lifeline to future business.  So, please ask yourself....Who's answering your phone?   

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 5 replies
    • VISA DEBIT VERSUS VISA CREDIT VERSUS MASTERCARD

Up to a couple of months ago, we would ask each customer debit or credit.  If they ran a debit, they put i their pin and there wasn't a signature line.  If it  ran it as a credit, they didn't have to put their pin in and they would sign.  Why you ask if this such a big deal.  It means about 400.00 more a month.  A debit card no matter the amount of the sale, it was .25 if it was run as a credit it is a percentage such as 1.78% - 2.5%  I have been on the phone to Key Bank and to 1st Data, emails and etc.  Nobody knows anything about what could have happened except to say that is the way Visa wants it.   I have said do you suppose there will be a class action.  Just one more way to make money for our credit card charges.  According to the people in charge nobody else has this problem but me.  Funny thing Saturday I was at the plant store and I have a Visa Credit Card and it asked me debit or credit. 

By DUFRESNES, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 4 replies
    • Credit cards

I have been watching my cc fees go up. Add to that the pci compliance hassle. Does anyone have a good cc processing service?

By slowtech, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 51 replies
    • Credit processing fees?

We currently pay 2.5% in credit processing fees. Is this average rate or does this seem high?

By Tyler Rice, in Accounting, Profitability, & Payroll

• 7 replies
    • Cell phone and internet distractions

How do shops handle the use of cellular phones by their technicians during work hours?

By cmautocare, in General Automotive Discussion

• 13 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors