Quantcast

Galactic Wonders

Gonzo

Galactic Wonders

It’s not uncommon for an owner of a vehicle to come in and explain in detail how the intracepticle flinindelater has caused the gingel spring to drop into the spirozipulator. I would be taking notes right now… but my ballpoint pen melted because I had it too close to my personal atomic reactor coffee maker.

I hear these extraterrestrial explanations of car problems all the time. Sometimes they bring their buddies, a girlfriend, or maybe even a family member. I’m not surprised when there are three or more loose sprockets telling me about their rendikulators phase shifter while standing at the front counter. I guess they all show up together to make sure that all the reference information is “atmospherically” correct… or to make sure they all maintain a grip on terra firma. (Forgot their gravity boots)

The really funny part is the guy standing behind the “master of automotive technical words”. They usually have less of a clue than the guy with the anti-matter phase interrupter, but remain content in knowing their place in the universe is safe as the all knowing book of useless knowledge. They’ll stick in some info as needed … depending on the conversation at the counter.

It’s still an important part in the continuation of the space time continuum. Or, he could be there for the free beer his buddy has to offer along with a chance to finally use that obscure tool his fore fathers handed down to him years ago.

My job for the day is to fill in the small missing gaps of information that didn’t make it thru the time warp. This guy’s main goal is not to upset the balance of the universe or interrupt any high level discussions about matters involving his chance to boldly go where he has never gone before. Besides he may only get this one chance to ever try out that tool his ancestors left him before he hands it down to his offspring.

So, when these situations come up … watch the dude behind the dude… he’s the real funny one. The “Talker” is too serious to be funny; you’ll find him funny after you try to comprehend the galaxy of galactic information. These guys usual feel that they have reached a higher than needed level of intellectual understanding and are proud to show off their masculinity and technical knowhow to all, alien or any other extraterrestrials.

It’s a warp drive on the starship of auto repair… I never get tired of hearing these stories from the other side of the galaxy. It’s a break from reality to listen to these stories from so far, far away.

Anytime I’m out and about in public or at a movie, in a restaurant, visiting the Ball Park, or a store. I’m always curious to see if I can spot these wonders of the Milky Way. I tend to keep quiet and just observe from a distance. People are people and people are funny. They don’t even try to be funny… they just are. So the next time you’re out in the world at large, see if you can spot the absurdness.

Oh, they’re out there all right…just look around, then again, keep in mind… If you’re in a room full of people and you can’t find anyone that fits the description of the galactic traveler from planet wacky… check the mirror.

Because we’re all part of the same Universe.

Galactic Wonders

It’s not uncommon for an owner of a vehicle to come in and explain in detail how the intracepticle flinindelater has caused the gingel spring to drop into the spirozipulator. I would be taking notes right now… but my ballpoint pen melted because I had it too close to my personal atomic reactor coffee maker.

I hear these extraterrestrial explanations of car problems all the time. Sometimes they bring their buddies, a girlfriend, or maybe even a family member. I’m not surprised when there are three or more loose sprockets telling me about their rendikulators phase shifter while standing at the front counter. I guess they all show up together to make sure that all the reference information is “atmospherically” correct… or to make sure they all maintain a grip on terra firma. (Forgot their gravity boots)

The really funny part is the guy standing behind the “master of automotive technical words”. They usually have less of a clue than the guy with the anti-matter phase interrupter, but remain content in knowing their place in the universe is safe as the all knowing book of useless knowledge. They’ll stick in some info as needed … depending on the conversation at the counter.

It’s still an important part in the continuation of the space time continuum. Or, he could be there for the free beer his buddy has to offer along with a chance to finally use that obscure tool his fore fathers handed down to him years ago.

My job for the day is to fill in the small missing gaps of information that didn’t make it thru the time warp. This guy’s main goal is not to upset the balance of the universe or interrupt any high level discussions about matters involving his chance to boldly go where he has never gone before. Besides he may only get this one chance to ever try out that tool his ancestors left him before he hands it down to his offspring.

So, when these situations come up … watch the dude behind the dude… he’s the real funny one. The “Talker” is too serious to be funny; you’ll find him funny after you try to comprehend the galaxy of galactic information. These guys usual feel that they have reached a higher than needed level of intellectual understanding and are proud to show off their masculinity and technical knowhow to all, alien or any other extraterrestrials.

It’s a warp drive on the starship of auto repair… I never get tired of hearing these stories from the other side of the galaxy. It’s a break from reality to listen to these stories from so far, far away.

Anytime I’m out and about in public or at a movie, in a restaurant, visiting the Ball Park, or a store. I’m always curious to see if I can spot these wonders of the Milky Way. I tend to keep quiet and just observe from a distance. People are people and people are funny. They don’t even try to be funny… they just are. So the next time you’re out in the world at large, see if you can spot the absurdness.

Oh, they’re out there all right…just look around, then again, keep in mind… If you’re in a room full of people and you can’t find anyone that fits the description of the galactic traveler from planet wacky… check the mirror.

Because we’re all part of the same Universe.

You must be a Si fi fan, right? I would give a week's pay to see life thru your eyes. You bring out "real-life" witht a spin that most people know may not be aware of.

Well, a sci-fi fan... mmm... maybe... more often whatever looks like a good story - could be western, could be a silent movie, ..

and believe me..... you don't really want to see the world from these eyes... it ain't that pretty...

you're a real character Joe, ya make my day with your comments... thanx buddy

Live Long and Prosper ....

You must be a Si fi fan, right? I would give a week's pay to see life thru your eyes. You bring out "real-life" witht a spin that most people know may not be aware of.

• Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      As one of the top 10 industries in America, we need to advocate consumer choice in a competitive market, and if we don’t do what is pro-consumer and pro-aftermarket, the dealers will get all the business. I’m with Bill Hanvey, CEO of the AutoCare Association, Paul McCarthy, CEO of the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA), and Ryan and Andrea Goff, shop owners that went to Washington to speak to their representative and to show support for the Right To Repair initiative.  Have you signed the petition? Go to RepairAct.com so easy to tell your congressperson you support the Right to Repair.  Stay tuned for an important episode that affects ALL OF US.
      Bill Hanvey, President and CEO of the Auto Care Association. Find Bill’s other episodes HERE. Paul McCarthy, AASA President. Find Paul’s other episodes HERE. Ryan and Andrea Goff, Rogers Tire Pros and Auto Care Key Talking Points
      Massachusetts helped set the tone two years ago, but it is embroiled in a fight between the OEs and the voters and a judge who has yet to make a ruling. There are recent discussions that 75% to 25% of voters approved overwhelmingly “The right to repair is alluring in its simplicity. In theory, it seems obvious that if you do buy something, you own it, and you should have the freedom to do what you want with it,” said U.S. Rep. Claudia Tenney (R-N.Y.), ranking member of the subcommittee. “The right to repair, if properly designed, can create a world of consumer choice, competitive pricing, and potential cost savings. “However, when this issue is examined in full depth, it becomes substantially less black and white,” she said. “Today, many machines are essentially sophisticated supercomputers… they perform seemingly miraculous feats thanks to delicate and complex electronic components integrated with highly specialized, proprietary software. Even with all the possible tools and resources at one’s disposal, attempting to sell, fix, or modify products with electronic components could lead to disastrous results, such as product failure or, even worse, serious injury to the consumer. In addition, these alterations can put the privacy and security of the user at risk.” To industry: Do not abandon your interest in this initiative. Access to data is critical for the survival of our industry. This is anti-consumer because there isn’t enough bays or technicians in the dealer network to service the repair and maintenance of our car park. It is also pro-consumer as it creates competition. What can we do? Right to repair needs to be on 20 and networking group agendas. We must speak to our legislators If you own a shop, you must make an appointment with your local congressperson's office and see your congressperson in person. Don’t be nervous to share with your customers- we are at the tip of the iceberg By 2020- 4% had advanced connectivity that allowed for remote diagnostics. By 2025 almost every new vehicle will have that advanced connectivity Right to Repair Info Graphic download https://bit.ly/3BOotBI Right to Repair Media Kit for Graphics and postcards. https://bit.ly/3eZOi8Z  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Derek Kaufman is constantly scanning future trends in vehicle design and aftermarket challenges, including how recent events in electric vehicles are affecting our near-term and longer-term futures. This is your podcast resource, committed to bringing the future and forward-looking information you can use to inform and map your road ahead. Derek Kaufman, Managing Partner at Schwartz Advisors, President of C3 Network. Listen to Derek’s previous episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points
      BEVs are running about 5.6% of new car sales in the second quarter of 2022 – that’s up from 2.7% in the second quarter of 2021. Challenges- recession, price of battery materials/broken supply chain, Inflation Reduction Act China controls 60-80% of the powders associated with battery anodes and cathodes and the lithium transfer medium 80-90% of all BEV vehicles do not qualify for the Inflation Reduction Act- – it only applies to BEV cars that are under $55,000, it only applies to people making less than a certain amount depending on their marital status Autonomous Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (AV NEV)- AV NEVs are package delivery pods and people shuttles traveling in dedicated lanes in urban centers at less than 30 mph. The Federal Government is allocating about $5B of our tax money to install another 500,000 chargers – but if we are going to get anywhere close to their desired sales of BEVs we are going to need over 2 million chargers to keep those cars running. Estimated 5% BEV share of new car sales this year growing to 20% in 2030 and 35% in 2035 – by 2050 we have BEVs at around 50% of 2050  
      Connect with the Podcast:

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

• By carmcapriotto
      We are at the 2022 Napa Expo with reigning two-time world champion Ron Capps, who has just recently started his own Motorsports company. Find out what it’s like being both the driver and team owner. Listen to Ron explain the initial rush when his race car goes from 0-100mph in 7/10 of a second. He says It’s all about his team and the processes and procedures.
      Established in 2021, Ron Capps Motorsports is a single-car NHRA Funny Car team owned and operated by reigning and two-time world champion Ron Capps. Headquartered in Brownsburg, Ind., the team will make its on-track debut in 2022 and will compete on the 22-race NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series circuit thanks to the support of NAPA AUTO PARTS. Capps, who serves as both the owner and driver of his namesake operation, is the second-winningest Funny Car pilot in NHRA history, with 67 wins in the category and 68 overall (1 Top Fuel). The 2022 NHRA season marks Capps’ 28th year competing in the sport’s professional ranks.
      Category: NHRA Funny Car Sponsor/car: NAPA AUTO PARTS Crew chief: Dean ‘Guido’ Antonelli, John Medlen Career best points finish: 1st (2016, 2021) Career event titles: 68 (Funny Car: 67; Top Fuel: 1) Career final rounds: 131 (Funny Car: 129; Top Fuel: 2) Career No. 1 qualifying positions: 29 Career best elapsed time: 3.837 secs, (Reading, 2019) Career best speed: 339.28 mph (Reading, 2019)
      On the Internet: twitter.com/RonCapps28, facebook.com/RonCappsFC, Instagram.com/RonCapps28, NAPAonline.com, NHRA
      Key Talking Points
      What people forget- NAPA isn’t a chain or a franchise; it is owned by people in your neighborhood. His dad was a dealer technician- he was his dad's mechanical assistant  Told team owner last September he wasn’t coming back- Announced the launch of his own team, Ron Capps Motorsports, in December 2021. The team, with Capps serving as owner-driver, made its NHRA debut in 2022 2022 marks Capps’ 28th season competing professionally in the NHRA (first event: Phoenix, 1995) One of 17 drivers in NHRA history to have claimed a win in both the Top Fuel and Funny Car categories “I was in my mom’s belly at my first race,” he says, adding his mom, Betty, met his dad, John, at a drag race. “I’ll never forget when I was at the Denver airport going up an escalator, and a woman at least 80 was coming down,” he recalls. “As she came closer, she started singing the ‘NAPA Know How’ song and was shaking her head as we do in the commercials “You can’t win the Kentucky Derby on a mule.” Intrigued by hearing the stories of NAPA Auto Care people and fans while attending events and networking  Hired his world championship team to join him- the manager is critical and the trust to let the team members do what they need to do with processes and procedures. There is a team goal to be successful.  Advice for son- get a basic business degree Behind the scenes before a race- sponsor event (like indoor go carting, top golf, dinners etc) 8 crew members take apart an engine and put it back together in 33 minutes. 11,000 horsepower 300 mph+ in a quarter mile 0 to 100mph in 7/10 of a second in 60 ft His wife is involved in the business- invoices, insurance, etc “Crash course to be an owner…but you can do it.”  

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

• By Joe Marconi
      I recently read an article in Auto Success online, a publication for dealerships. It states that there is a market for used tires. I was never a fan of selling used tires. Link to article below. 
      Your thoughts? Comments? 

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      How secure is your computer and internal network? Could it survive malware or a virus? For most of us, our system just runs and is out of sight, out of mind…until something happens. I’m with Tom Sciortino, a good friend and local shop owner in my hometown, and his business computer got hacked. Tom’s personal accounts were also hacked.  He bought a couple of laptops he didn’t know about. Don’t let this happen to you; keep listening to find out how he discovered the hack and the changes he made to protect his network. 
      Tom Sciortino, Total Automotive, Buffalo, NY. Tom's previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      One of his 6 terminals was hacked in the shop. Hacker also had access to his home computer and Amazon account. Police traced recent order for 2 laptops to a home in Rochester, NY, about 80 miles away. Retrieved the laptops but couldn’t prove it was purchased by a hacker, no case can be created.  Passwords had to be locked down, and lock computer system with password protection. Google activity is monitored weekly Have a system in place for checks and balances- when Tom first started his business he had an employee skim cash from check deposits and steal 8K in 5 weeks.    Advice- have a good relationship with your IT and bankers. Evaluate your credit card chargeback policies and fraud alerts  

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

• Our Sponsors

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250