Quantcast

How to keep your tech happy?

I have a 4 bay shop with 2 techs, stay very busy most of the time, I have a tech that has been with me for 20 years, He can pretty mutch fix anything i put in front of him, I pay by the hour 27$, Full medical with 2500$ deductable and 115 a month life ins, I have not given any raises i a few years, He is starting to question what more i can do, I do not want to loose him, but i do not know how i am paying compared to other shops, Anyone have any creative ideas? what are shops offering for benifits, retirement, Thanks David

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

I have a 4 bay shop with 2 techs, stay very busy most of the time, I have a tech that has been with me for 20 years, He can pretty mutch fix anything i put in front of him, I pay by the hour 27$, Full medical with 2500$ deductable and 115 a month life ins, I have not given any raises i a few years, He is starting to question what more i can do, I do not want to loose him, but i do not know how i am paying compared to other shops, Anyone have any creative ideas? what are shops offering for benifits, retirement, Thanks David

If you value the tech, sit down with him NOW. You are paying him well. Our pay scale for a tech of that caliber is the same. We also offer and contribute to a health plan and life insurance. We do offer a retirement plan, paid vacations, sick days and we also have a bonus plan based on productivity.

For my top people, I try to take care of them and include them in major business decisions. For example: if you are thinking about buying a new tire machine, hold a meeting with your key people and get their opinions. Give them the task of doing the research on what the best machine is to buy. You will be surprised how they will respond to this. The egos will be on fires. This keeps them focused on the company and take a personal interest in the success of the shop.

If you do not a productivity bonus plan, I would consider it.

Could i get some ideas on what you base your bonus plan on?

It’s a little complicated, but I will do the best I can to explain.

When a tech is hired we track the techs labor hours sold and compare those hours against the hours worked. In other words if a tech books 20 hours in a 40 hour work week, that tech is 50% productive. If the tech books 40 hours in the same week, then that equates to 100%.

What we do for all new techs for the first 6 weeks is to find what their average potential is and after 6 weeks we will give them a bonus (based on the hourly rate) for every hour they book over their average. The average potential becomes their minimum level of performance expectation.

So, let say a new tech averaged 35 hours in a 40 hour week for the first 6 weeks of employment; the 35 hours becomes his goal to beat. Anything above that, he will receive a bonus. If he books 39 hours for a 40 hour week, he get 4 extra paid hours.

Now the goal is get that tech to 100% level. Each month we raise the bar and within 6 months the tech has to achieve 100% in order to get any bonus.

We feel that this is fair because it allows the tech to compete against himself and not other techs.

With that said, there is a lot that goes into maintaining high productivity levels: wasted time with comebacks, wasted time with waiting for parts, the wrong parts, defective parts, not selling enough labor hours, giving away diagnostic time, slow service advisors not selling the work quick enough, shop layout, tool truck time, cigarette breaks, late back from lunch…..you get the idea. The only way to truly get shop production up is to do a complete shop analysis of where the bottle necks are and track every minute of the tech’s time.

I hope this helps.

It’s a little complicated, but I will do the best I can to explain.

When a tech is hired we track the techs labor hours sold and compare those hours against the hours worked. In other words if a tech books 20 hours in a 40 hour work week, that tech is 50% productive. If the tech books 40 hours in the same week, then that equates to 100%.

What we do for all new techs for the first 6 weeks is to find what their average potential is and after 6 weeks we will give them a bonus (based on the hourly rate) for every hour they book over their average. The average potential becomes their minimum level of performance expectation.

So, let say a new tech averaged 35 hours in a 40 hour week for the first 6 weeks of employment; the 35 hours becomes his goal to beat. Anything above that, he will receive a bonus. If he books 39 hours for a 40 hour week, he get 4 extra paid hours.

Now the goal is get that tech to 100% level. Each month we raise the bar and within 6 months the tech has to achieve 100% in order to get any bonus.

We feel that this is fair because it allows the tech to compete against himself and not other techs.

With that said, there is a lot that goes into maintaining high productivity levels: wasted time with comebacks, wasted time with waiting for parts, the wrong parts, defective parts, not selling enough labor hours, giving away diagnostic time, slow service advisors not selling the work quick enough, shop layout, tool truck time, cigarette breaks, late back from lunch…..you get the idea. The only way to truly get shop production up is to do a complete shop analysis of where the bottle necks are and track every minute of the tech’s time.

I hope this helps.

Thank you, Very helpfull, Wish i found this site sooner, Its nice to be able to see what other shops are doing, hopefully i can help also.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      From what I am hearing from my fellow shop owner friends, the shops in my area, Northeast (New York), auto repair shops are busy and steady. However, there is a feeling from many shop owners to be cautious about the future. 
      Things that give shop owners concern: Inflation, the cost of living affecting the consumer's ability to afford auto repairs, dissatisfaction with the current administration,  and possible recession. 
      Your thoughts? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      We are almost into the 4th quarter of 2022, which means that you need to consider your 2022 tax return. Many shops are having a very good year, which means there may be more taxable income at your bottom line.
      What do you do to plan for and minimize paying taxes, while still maintaining a cash reserve? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Guest Host and Shop Tour with Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX. Four years ago Todd left his medical sales job and became the new owner of TC Auto Service.
      Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX.
      Key Talking Points
      Was in medical device sales but looking to make a change. His great grandfather, grandfather, and father were all in the automotive business Was a customer of the business and bought the business from the owner (who was 80 years old) Senior tech has been with the business for over 30 years- loves to teach and help others, maintains quality. He is a mentor for apprentices.  ‘Running out of concrete' as they started growing- purchased satellite location  7 lifts total Look at productivity by technician weekly- scoreboard with names listed, fun competition Drive through lanes with vehicles- 3 lanes  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Another informative episode with NAPA’s VP of Emerging Technology, Susan Starnes. We talk about NAPA’s support for all their customers as they focus on providing tools, parts, and training to meet all the future technology needs so we can seize every opportunity to repair the newest high-tech vehicles.
      Susan Starnes, Vice President, Emerging Markets of Genuine Parts Company
      Key Talking Points
      General discussion about the penetration of EVs, ADAS, connectivity Her team works closely with training NexDrive program- equipt shops to service EV’s and hybrids, started in the Netherlands in 2020. Looking to roll out and test in the US soon. Having products, training and communication and support around the program.  

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      If only we had a crystal ball to peak at the next 5 years. As a shop owner, you might still be booked out 2-3 weeks, but with gas prices, inflation, the great resignation, interest rates, and new and used car costs, what do you need to pay attention to in the short term to continue to be profitable and relevant?  Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast Joe Marconi, Executive Council Member, Elite Worldwide. Joe’s Episodes HERE. Michael Smith, Managing Partner, Herzberg Smith and Co, Michael Smith’s previous episodes HERE Jaron Kleber, National Sales Manager, Repair Shop of Tomorrow
      Key Talking Points
      Your employees should be your greatest strength. Invest in THEM to secure their future and the future of your business. Connect the dots with their goals and the company’s goals. Don’t ignore the people in your shop. Don’t get complacent. Productivity, efficiency, and effective labor rate are the 3 most important numbers in your business Systems, operations, and procedures. SOPs will set you free! Important to train the whole team on “what right looks like” so that everyone is rowing the boat in the same direction. It’s not about the one, it’s about the all. TEAMWORK makes the dream work. The automobile service industry is undergoing a literal revolution. The boomers are increasingly aging out, the number of independent competitors is shrinking fast, being a future top-shop will require much more business sophistication in the future, and the third-party investor feeding frenzy has begun. Smart owners need a strong business strategy, steeped in their legacy and exit strategy, to lead through these changes rather than just playing catch-up. Baby boomers retiring- 80-85% aren't worth making a private equity investment Shop owners coming from outside the industry- thinking from a business perspective  Elevating the industry through training and coaching Profit vs cash- cash brings personal spending habits into play, preserving cash Will it slow down? It matters what you do during the good times that will help you survive the bad times. Don’t let car count carry you. Redefine who you are and honed in  

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.
      Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com

• Our Sponsors

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250