Quantcast

Check engine light dilemma

Have you ever solved a check engine problem only to have the customer return a few days later with the light on again, but this time for a different code? We have all been down this road.

To avoid customers issues we explain how the on board computer works and tell them that because the check engine was on, other tests have been blocked by the car's computer. This means that if there is another problem, the computer will only check it after this problem is solved. As a result, the check engine light may return if there is another problem.

No matter how hard you try to explain this to a customer (and we also state this on the invoice) the customer has a tough time understanding it. All they see is the "same" check engine light and naturally assume it's the same problem.

How are you handling this issue?

I've got a few of my stories that relate to this subject. The usual problem is that the light comes back on but the car drives fine. Which is generally how the car first arrived at the shop for the original check engine light problem.

What I do is apply the original diagnostics fee for 30 days and that way they have some value built in. The average complaint is that the light is on ... and you didn't do a thing. Since they never see the actual workings of the scanner or the diagnostic testing information they will always assume... you didn't do a thing. (I like your Nixon comment right about now Joe)

It is never a pleasant issue, it hardly ever goes without some sort of responce from the customer. But I call it ... "growing aligator skin" Let them chew... I'll fix the problem... I can take it. Been there, done it before.

Once the diagnostics is done and you explain to them (educate the customer) how the PCM reads the faults in order of importance and that some codes may only happen after certian other systems change their values, they seem to get it then.

Or I try the old "Ya gotta put air in the tire to find the leak... then let the air out... fix the leak... and hopefully their ain't another leak to worry about... but if there is we will have to go thru the process all over again..." This works well for those "good-ol-boys" that stagger into the shop.

As long as the customer is understanding and can be educated into the inner workings of their automobile... I usually don't have a problem. The only time I do, is when they DON"T come back and go to the "other" shop who makes it their business to run you down... and then you get that call from the customer... you know the one... (@%&^!$@^@#&* why you &*^%$*) etc... etc... I just put that aligator skin on and wait for a chance to explain. But don't forget... aligators have a pretty mean bite too....

You seem to have a good attitude toward this issue, better than mine. I like the " leak in the tire" analogy. I will use that. What it comes down to is consumer education, but like you said, I don't want to be slammed by another shop. Plus, sometime there is not enough time in the day.

I doubt my attitude is any better than yours..I can remain calm for only so long, then, I will turn into that alligator with a nasty bite if need be. I'll "only" pleasantly talk for so long... then I give into the dark side... If you got me to that point there is two things that are for sure... 1. You ain't coming back 2. I don't want ya back.

So is it the check engine light, or, is it check your attitude... LOL

Do you feel the time spent educating the customer pays off? Or, are some people just unrealistic toward their view on our business?

That is the 64 dollar question Joe...

I could write an article about that very question... as a matter of fact... I think I will.

My view on the educating of the customer... YES ... I think it pays off... However, sometimes I think they are only nodding their heads in agreement to avoid their other fears of the automotive industry and that is... being taken advantage of. Or, they are a repeat customer (notice I didn't say loyal) that has built up some trust with me based on their own past experiences at other shops.

These folks ... get it... understand it... accept the cause and cures of the procedures and their eventual outcomes.

Now on the "unrealistic" side of it;

By far these are the people that HAVE those fears of the automtive industry... and probably have been taken advantage of in the past. And, they are not willing to accept any answers from you or me or anybody in the business. They simply do no trust anybody. Or, they are a customer without any repeat business... ANYWHERE... and float from shop to shop with whatever work they need done, because: A. They don't know how to do it, and they can't find a friend that will work for a cold beer in their garage. B. Never want to pay for any type of repair because their own income is already used up in their own daily activities. C. Their neighbor, friend, relative... already told them.. Exactly what needs to be done, and obviously... you, me... we don't have a clue what we are doing... except how to take their money.

These folks, will never understand... and those are the ones you don't want to see come in the shop. The odds are against turning these type of people around... That's where the alligator skin works well.... but like I said before... watch out for the alligator.. he'll bite back.

Edited by Gonzo

Joe on most late model cars you can drive the monitors to run. This will give some indication of any problems that may cause a returning check lite. My Solus gives a very detailed set of driving parameters, that if followed, will run all the first trip monitors. A great way to prevent comebacks. You can also find a lot of info in Global OBD monitors and test. I finished a Ford explorer yesterday that had no codes but a load of OBD data that indicated marginal fuel trims and evap problems. Test lead to an intermittent IAC and leaking intake seals. Repalced and road tested within the driving paratemetrs. When I went back to global info everything had passed except for an evap test which I believe is a 2 trip test. Retunerd car to customer. This morning got a call telling me the car had never ran better and no one else had been able to fix it. Dont know where it had been prior but was glad to get the call. Feels good when the call is thank you and not screw you wink.gif

Thats great Jeff, but the original question is what do you do when... you don't catch the service light problem as you did in this case. What is your reaction when the customer comes back with the service light on. This is what I'm interested in... how do you handle the customer then. Gonz

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Welcome to the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Brian Walker. In this solo episode, Brian discusses the importance of taking massive action during slow business periods. 
      Drawing from a recent conversation with a shop owner, he shares strategies to combat slow times, including leveraging networking groups like BNI, using your CRM effectively, creating engaging video content, and offering incentives.
      Brian also highlights the importance of personal health and well-being, emphasizing that a healthy business owner is crucial for a thriving business. 
      Tune in for practical tips to help fill your bays and keep your business thriving.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      Lagniappe (Books, Links, Other Podcasts, etc)
      Greg Buckley at Buckley's Auto Center : https://www.youtube.com/@BuckleysAutoCare/featured
      Charlie's Foreign Car
      https://www.youtube.com/@fixingcars
      Royalty Auto Service
      https://www.youtube.com/@theroyaltyautoservice
      Dave’s Auto Center
      https://www.youtube.com/@DavesAutoCenterCenterville
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech
      Matt Fanslow and guest Tanner Brandt discuss the recent assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump, the state of the country, and the impact of political polarization. They explore how media influences public opinion and the role of political figures in shaping societal views. The conversation highlights the need for civil discourse, critical thinking, and seeking diverse perspectives to counteract the echo chamber effect of social media. understanding in political discussions.
      Show Notes
      The assassination attempt on Donald Trump (00:01:19)  Reactions and media influence (00:03:07)  Civil discourse and collaboration (00:06:14)  Impact of political polarization (00:09:24)  Media influence and party allegiance (00:13:15) The 24-hour news cycle and political leanings (00:17:31)  The influence of social media algorithms (00:21:19)  Creating echo chambers and misinformation (00:25:11)  Social media's impact on the youth and political divide (00:30:17)  The need for leadership and setting an example (00:33:24)  Raising Respectful Kids (00:34:24)  Generational Toughness (00:35:13)  Understanding Power Dynamics (00:36:09)  Real Life vs. Online Behavior (00:37:36)  Media Influence and Perception (00:41:16)  Seeking Positive News (00:42:50)  Finding a Hobby (00:45:18) Avoiding Politicization (00:49:05) NASTF (00:49:55)  Congress Behavior (00:51:15)  Congressional Discussions (00:52:32)  Ego in Politics (00:55:24)  Economic and Social Issues (00:59:02)  Interest Rates and Younger Generations (01:00:44)  Healthcare and Future Concerns (01:02:24)  Local Governance and Youth Leadership (01:05:26)  Caring for the Community (01:06:34)  Striving for Better (01:07:38)  Social Media Impact (01:08:46)  Forming Opinions (01:10:06)  Media Influence (01:11:14)   
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

• By carmcapriotto
      Welcome to another episode of the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast, hosted by Brian and Kim Walker! 
      Today, we have a very special guest, Michael Doherty, who was our exceptional service advisor at Peak Automotive in Apex, North Carolina. 
      Michael has been a pivotal figure in our journey, and we are thrilled to share his insights on customer loyalty and retention. He’ll discuss his unique approach to building lasting client relationships and the importance of genuine care and transparency.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      WorldPac - https://www.wtitraining.com/
      Worldpac STX - https://automotivetrainingevents.com/event/stx/
      Traver Technologies: https://traverconnect.com/
      ShopWare - https://shop-ware.com/
      How To Get In Touch
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive
      In this episode, Hunt explores the crucial difference between profit and cash flow. Learn why your high profits don't always translate into more cash in the bank and how to better manage your shop's finances.
      Difference Between Profit and Cash Flow: Understanding why profit and cash flow are not the same and how this affects your financial planning. Accounts Receivable Impact: How the timing of your transactions can create a lag between recording a profit and actually seeing the cash. Managing Inventory: The effects of inventory purchases on your cash flow and strategies to manage it effectively. Fixed Assets and Liabilities: The impact of major purchases and financing options on your cash reserves. https://www.tn.gov/revenue/2024franchisetax.html  
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive

Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thank you to our friends at RepairPal for providing you this episode. As shop owners we were part of RepairPal’s Certified network and you can learn more at RepairPal.com/shops.
      Customer loyalty programs are crucial for retaining clients in the auto repair industry. On the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast, hosts Brian and Kim Walker explore this topic with Joe Schindler and Jeff Rudnick. 
      Joe, a shop owner, shares his experiences with loyalty programs, while Jeff from Pit Crew Marketing offers insights on how these programs can significantly benefit automotive shops. 
      This discussion is part of their ongoing series on customer retention. They highlight how personalized rewards, first impressions, and community involvement can build stronger customer relationships, encouraging repeat business and long-term loyalty. These strategies significantly enhance customer satisfaction and drive business growth.
      Show Notes with Timestamps
      The introduction (00:00:03) Introduction of the podcast episode and the topic of customer loyalty programs. Jeff's background in Hawaii (00:01:03) Jeff's background in Hawaii and the discussion about his current location. Defining customer loyalty (00:04:19) Discussion on the definition of customer loyalty and how it is measured. Earning trust and loyalty (00:06:01) The importance of trust in earning customer loyalty and the significance of knowing the customer's intent. First impressions (00:12:00) The impact of the first impression on building customer loyalty and the significance of creating a welcoming environment. Last interaction and lagniappe (00:18:05) The importance of the last interaction with the customer and the concept of providing a little extra (lagniappe) to enhance the customer experience. Community involvement and charity events (00:20:34) The role of community involvement and charity events in creating customer loyalty and building relationships. These are the main topics covered in the podcast episode transcription segment, organized in chronological order with their respective timestamps. Community Involvement Charity (00:22:26) Shop owner's initiative to involve customers in community charity, raising funds and providing incentives for customers. Supporting Little League Teams (00:23:20) Discussion on sponsoring little league teams, the impact on the community, and the importance of community involvement. Seizing Opportunities (00:24:29) Encouragement to shop owners to seize opportunities, think creatively, and take advantage of moments for business growth. Solving Real Problems (00:25:44) Emphasizing the role of marketing in solving real challenges for small businesses and making their lives better. Involvement in the Community (00:27:31) Discussion on the importance of being involved in the community and creating a sense of belonging, impacting marketing positively. Connecting with Customers (00:28:36) Emphasizing the need to connect with customers in a meaningful way, beyond traditional loyalty programs, and the impact on advertising effectiveness. Fundraising Logistics (00:29:46) Exploring the logistics of fundraising, including tools, graphics, and collaboration with marketing companies for seamless integration. Using Rewards for Community Programs (00:36:29) Discussion on customers choosing to use rewards for community programs, the intrinsic value, and setting up guardrails for giving. Launching Shop Programs (00:41:39) The process of launching shop programs, integration with shop management systems, and activating accounts based on customer history. Service Advisor's Role (00:45:37) Reference to a previous episode discussing the service advisor's role in customer retention and the impact of the 1-to-1 service advisor-technician ratio. Joe's thoughtful gifting (00:46:31) Joe explains his thoughtful and considerate gifting strategies to connect with clients and nurture relationships. Partners with systems and processes (00:47:22) Joe emphasizes the importance of having partners with efficient systems and processes to ease the burden on business owners. Inexpensive customer gifts (00:48:37) Joe shares his inexpensive yet impactful gift ideas for customers, including hot chocolate mixers, cookies, and personalized items. Quality over quantity (00:51:20) Joe discusses the significance of giving high-quality, thoughtful gifts over cheap trinkets and the impact it has on customers. Building customer loyalty (00:53:17) Joe emphasizes the importance of little gestures and thoughtful gifts in building customer loyalty and creating a positive impact. Conclusion and contact information (00:54:02) The hosts express gratitude to the guests and provide their contact information for listeners to get in touch.  
      How To Get In Touch

Pit Crew Marketing
      Schindler's Garage
      Schindler's Garage - see loyalty program posts

• Our Sponsors