general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Hybrids?

xrac

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

My area is a very blue collar area. It is a suburb located about 40 minutes north on NYC. Most of the people commute to work. Most of my customers understand the need for preventive maintenance.

My experience with Hybrid customer is that it’s their magic bullet to cure all of society’s ills.

God forbid they lose a mile per gallon after we replaced their tires, they want to kill someone!

Maybe it’s my area only. But, this is what we have found.

I think you are right. There are certain people that do things only because it is politically correct.

I have learned that life is not as easily definable as they may think. Take a look at the global warming issue. This planet has been going through climatic changes for 4 billion years. Who caused the ice age? Dinosaur poop?

I just don’t want to feel guilty because I drive a pickup truck and not a Prius.

Don’t get me wrong, I care about clean air and clean water. But, let’s be sensible about it.

We see a handful of them but also, only for basic maintenance. I had the opportunity to try to dia a no charge complaint on a Civic this last summer, was kind of cool but scary all in the same token. Turned out to be a problem with the stator in between the transmission and the engine, the customer decided to ditch the car.

The hybrid customer in my area is about the same as yours, mostly tree huggers trying to do what society has told them is "right". I think the hybrid will be a short lived concept on the road to finding the perfect path for transportation. They just dont pencil out well, and god forbid when you need a battery you will have to resharpen that pencil.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By bantar

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By Joe Marconi
      As a former auto shop owner, one of the things that kept me up at night was not knowing enough about all the labor laws and human resource regulations.  
      How do you keep up with all the changes to the labor laws and human resource regulations in your state? 
    • By carmcapriotto
      Guest Host and Shop Tour with Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX. Four years ago Todd left his medical sales job and became the new owner of TC Auto Service.
      Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX.
      Key Talking Points
      Was in medical device sales but looking to make a change. His great grandfather, grandfather, and father were all in the automotive business Was a customer of the business and bought the business from the owner (who was 80 years old) Senior tech has been with the business for over 30 years- loves to teach and help others, maintains quality. He is a mentor for apprentices.  ‘Running out of concrete' as they started growing- purchased satellite location  7 lifts total Look at productivity by technician weekly- scoreboard with names listed, fun competition Drive through lanes with vehicles- 3 lanes  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Years back it was common to perform oil changes every 3 to 5,000 miles, and we would see customers 4 to 5 times a year. Today, you are lucky if you see customers once a year for an oil change service. 
      So, what are you doing to maintain customers on a more consistent basis? 
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      The word OSHA makes many shop owners cringe. 
      I was lucky enough years back to have my insurance agent suggest I perform a voluntary OSHA inspection. A private company did it at the time.   
      They found tons of violations; some we knew would be flagged, but most we did not. 
      Have you ever had an OSHA inspection? And what can shop owners do to protect themselves? 

• Our Sponsors

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile