Quantcast

Consider Selling Used Cars

New cars are not selling and people are keeping their cars longer. People will eventually need cars for themselves and/or children. They may not be in a position to purchase new. You have a distinct advantage, since your customers already trust you. Offering them a used car may be another way to add a few bucks to your bottom line.

• 4 months later...

New cars are not selling and people are keeping their cars longer. People will eventually need cars for themselves and/or children. They may not be in a position to purchase new. You have a distinct advantage, since your customers already trust you. Offering them a used car may be another way to add a few bucks to your bottom line.

HEY ALL FIRST POST SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS MITCHELL LOOKS BETTER ON CAPS SO NOW I DO IT ALL THE TIME LOL

WE STARTED SELLING USED CARS AND SOLD 14 LAST WEEK WE HAD TO GET OUR DEALERS LICENSE LAST YEAR BUT WOW WHAT A HELP WHEN WE ARE SLOW THIS KEEP ME ALIVE AS A SHOP

BRYAN

KNOXVILLE TN

Certainly a possibility. Used car prices have gone way up around here...as much as double on the very low end cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Certainly a possibility. Used car prices have gone way up around here...as much as double on the very low end cars.

Watch how many closed dealerships turn into used car super stores. Just heard it on the radio yesterday about one.

• 4 months later...
We started our use car business this. We started to pruchase cars and will market them on our web site. I will keep everyone informed.

Joe I'd like to hear how it goes, we are in our 3rd year of selling used cars, this last year has been tough though, cars are still selling but margins are way down, buying cars has been the real hard part, prices are way up at auctions in our part of the country. As a result margins go down, its a pretty simple concept, new car dealers are selling less, resulting in less used inventory for them, as a result they bring fewer autos to the auctions.

We have so busy with the new facility that we have not devoted enough time to used cars. We have found that the $5000 to $7000 range sells the fastest. Over that people look for a cheap car or cheap lease.

Same on our lot, $5000 to $8000 are the best sellers, that price range for us is usually in the best gross range also. Ck out our website if you get some time, my partner in the auto sales does a really nice job of it

goldenruleautosales.com

percentage wise I'd say 80% comes from auctions, (fargo, ND and minneapolis, MN) 10% from the private sector and the other 10% from trades. The trades and private are the nicest as you can drive them, ck them out at the shop and you can barter with the customer, where at the auctions you are at the mercy of other buyers, misrepresented cars, auction fees, transport fees...... the list is long.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Back in the 1990s, some shop owner's feared that fuel injection, 100 mile spark plugs, the elimination of the Distributor cap, rotor and extended fluid services would be our demise. But, that didn't happen. 
      Now I hear many in our industry state that "There is no needed work on an electric vehicle, they are problem free." 
      My opinion, let's not fall into thinking that the EV car will run forever of even for years without needed service.  The EV still has tires, suspension, brakes, and a whole new area of opportunities. It will be different, but there will be a need for the Automotive Technicians and for repair shops.
      Your thoughts? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Honesty is always the best policy, but sometimes is it better to omit certain information to a customer? What if you make a mistake but make it right and eat the cost? Are there situations where you don’t divulge all that information to a customer? Let’s have an open discussion on ethics and your shop’s reputation.
      Matt Fanslow, lead diagnostician and shop manager, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN. Matt’s previous episodes HERE Matt Fanslow Podcast: Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Al Wright, John's Automotive, Cedar Rapids, IA Key Talking Points
       There are times when being completely open is endearing, but other times where it simply hurts the shop's reputation, and the client learning about it changes nothing. They aren't paying more for the service, they aren't leaving with an improperly repaired vehicle.  The issue/mistake/mishap can be kept in-house and learned from. It's not uncommon for us to "lie" by omission, namely when mistakes are made.  We don't call out the specific tech that erred.  That is to be frowned upon.  Unfortunately, we also seem to lie by omission by not calling out the specific tech when there's a victory or a job well done. Another situation MAY be just thinking out loud, which may not always be a good thing, or misdiagnosing a vehicle. What is the best way to fire a customer without damaging the shop's reputation?   In a small community, you have to be careful in your explanation to the customer to prevent the ripple effect.  Comebacks - every shop has them, and it's the first interaction when they return that makes all the difference in defusing a bad situation. Let the customers speak first.  Reputation isn't just a business transaction, reputation is just as important as community involvement. Shop culture can also affect your reputation. It's your employee for 40 hours of the week; what do they say about you and their peers the 80 hours a week?  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Eric Roberts
      Firstly let me say that I an just a regular guy from the UK who is the owner of a seven bay service centre/garage. I am not a financial expert. The dreaded inflation is upon us again. For the guys as old as me then this is nothing new. Back in the 70,s we had 15% inflation, but we all got by and lived for better trading days. Here in the UK we have always looked up to the USA because of your business prowess. So what do you guys look out as your worst enemy!
      When prices are going up then I find that the gap opens between rich and the poor's disposable income. So this question will effect garage owners in different areas. My garage is in a poor area with many immigrant families who drive cars. So this means we have to be more flexible with pricing. Finding out if your customer can afford that service ! For this reason we devised a three tier service pricing structure. This has also the effect of not loosing your profit margins. 
      The lowest price should include an oil and filter change and a general vehicle check over. This way we find the customer will perhaps be able to afford a service and your profit margins wont drop. This is just one small idea that we carry out! What do you guys do in these times of high inflation ? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      Most communities have a variety of repair shops, dealerships, and franchise models.  Do you consider them the competition, or colleagues?
      Do you think it's worth it to get to know other auto businesses in your community?  To share and exchange business ideas and strategies?

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      There seems to be a lot of mixed reactions since COVID on customers waiting for service.  For many shops across the country, most customers drop off their cars for service these days.  
      What's your strategy? Does it depend on your business model?  

• Our Sponsors