Quantcast

May Market Update - Business By The Numbers

This week Hunt talks about the recent Fed meeting, the impacts, and other factors affecting the current market.

• How much impact is the recent Fed rate increase going to have on me?

• What can we learn from the federal reserve that will shape how the rest of the year is going to unfold?

• Is there a real possibility that the US could default on some of its debt and what would be the impacts of this?

• Is a market correction inevitable and is that truly as bad as it sounds?

Link for Chart: https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/JTS000000000000000JOL

Thanks to our sponsor partner NAPA TRACS

NAPATRACS.com

Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair

Visit us Online : www.paarmelis.com

Email Hunt: [email protected]

Get a copy of my Book : Download Here

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

3 comments
      Got your attention? Good. The truth is, there is no such thing as the perfect technician pay plan. There are countless ways to create any pay plan. I’ve heard all the claims and opinions, and to be honest, it’s getting a little frustrating. Claims that an hourly paid pay plan cannot motivate. That flat rate is the only way to truly get the most production from your technicians. And then there’s the hybrid performance-based pay plan that many claim is the best.
      At a recent industry event, a shop owner from the Midwest boasted about his flat-rate techs and insisted that this pay plan should be adopted by all shops across the country. When I informed him that in states like New York, you cannot pay flat-rate, he was shocked. “Then how do you motivate your techs” he asked me.
      I remember the day in 1986 when I hired the best technician who ever worked for me in my 41 years as an automotive shop owner. We’ll call him Hal. When Hal reviewed my pay plan for him, and the incentive bonus document, he stared at it for a minute, looked up, and said, “Joe, this looks good, but here’s what I want.” He then wrote on top of the document the weekly salary he wanted. It was a BIG number. He went on to say, “Joe, I need to take home a certain amount of money. I have a home, a wife, two kids, and my Harly Davidson. I will work hard and produce for you. I don’t need an incentive bonus to do my work.” And he did, for the next 30 years, until the day he retired.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, here’s mine. Money is a motivator, but not the only motivator, and not the best motivator either. We have all heard this scenario, “She quit ABC Auto Center, to get a job at XYZ Auto Repair, and she’s making less money now at XYZ!” We all know that people don’t leave companies, they leave the people they work for or work with.
      With all this said, I do believe that an incentive-based pay plan can work. However, I also believe that a technician must be paid a very good base wage that is commensurate with their ability, experience, and certifications. I also believe that in addition to money, there needs to be a great benefits package. But the icing on the cake in any pay plan is the culture, mission, and vision of the company, which takes strong leadership. And let’s not forget that motivation also comes from praise, recognition, respect, and when technicians know that their work matters.
      Rather than looking for that elusive perfect pay plan, sit down with your technician. Find out what motivates them. What their goals are. Why do they get out of bed in the morning? When you tie their goals with your goals, you will have one powerful pay plan.
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      As tax season 2024 unfolds, many entrepreneurs find themselves grappling with previous years' unpaid taxes, alongside the looming obligations for the current year. This episode gets into practical solutions for managing tax debt, with real-life advice and expert insights to navigate this challenging aspect of business ownership.
      • Understanding Your Options with the IRS: Setting up a payment plan with the IRS is the most common recourse for those unable to pay taxes in full. Learn about the prerequisites, process, and potential pitfalls. How does the IRS view income versus payroll tax debts? What are the crucial differences that could affect your business?
      • The Truth About Offers in Compromise: Offers in Compromise (OIC) might seem like a silver bullet for tax woes, but they're often misunderstood and not as easily attainable as advertised. I I try to demystify OICs, outlining the qualifications, processes, and the reality behind settling tax debts for "pennies on the dollar." Why are these offers rarely the best solution for most taxpayers?
      • Practical Tips and Real-World Strategies: Beyond understanding IRS mechanisms, this episode provides actionable advice for managing and potentially settling tax debts. From negotiating with state tax authorities to leveraging existing assets and income for a better outcome, learn strategies that could save your business significant amounts of money and stress.
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind

In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching addresses the critical issue of technician shortages in the auto repair industry. He discusses how this shortage affects shop productivity and revenue, with shops struggling to keep up with the demand due to a lack of skilled technicians. Cotton cites a Tech Force Foundation report predicting a significant need for technicians by 2024. He explores reasons behind the shortage, such as retirements, low female representation, high turnover among young workers, and fewer automotive program graduates. Cotton concludes with strategies for attracting and retaining talent, including better work schedules, compensation, career development, and educaTechnician Productivity (00:01:11) Discussion on the impact of technician shortage on shop productivity and revenue.

Vehicles per Bay (00:02:33) Explanation of the increase in vehicles per bay and its impact on repair orders. Attracting Technicians (00:03:52) Importance of attracting and retaining technicians to maximize shop capacity and revenue. Technician Supply and Demand (00:05:52) Insights from the 2022 Tech Force Foundation report on the shortage of technicians and its impact on the industry. Impact of Technician Shortage (00:08:15) Calculation of revenue loss due to technician shortage and its impact on service capacity. Challenges in Attracting Technicians (00:11:43) Discussion on the reasons for the shortage of technicians and the challenges in attracting new talent to the industry. Remedies for Technician Shortage (00:16:34) Suggestions for addressing the barriers in attracting and retaining technicians, including training and career development. Technicians' Work Schedule (00:20:59) Discussion about adjusting technicians' work schedules to attract and retain them. Outdated Mindset (00:21:30) Encouragement to adapt to the changing times and make necessary adjustments in the auto repair industry. Acknowledgment of Listeners and Sponsor (00:22:20) Expressing gratitude to the listeners and acknowledging the sponsor, Shop Marketing Pros, for their support.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this week’s episode of Business by the Numbers, Hunt welcomes Mike Edge from Tread Partners, a fellow podcaster from the Gain Traction Podcast. The dialogue explores the symbiotic relationship between tire sales and auto repair services, emphasizing the strategic value of incorporating tire sales into auto repair shops' service offerings.
      Why Sell Tires in Auto Repair Shops? Discover why even repair shops traditionally not focused on tire sales should consider offering tires to their customers. Mike Edge shares insights on how selling tires isn't just about the transaction; it's about fostering long-term, loyal customer relationships. This segment explores the concept that selling tires can be a gateway to securing a customer's business for all their vehicle maintenance needs over the next three to five years. Operational Insights and Strategies: Learn from the practical experiences and strategies of shop owners who have successfully integrated tire sales into their business model. This part of the discussion sheds light on operational considerations, such as space management, inventory selection based on local demand, and the logistics of tire delivery and installation. It also addresses the challenges and benefits of balancing tire sales with high-margin service work, ensuring shops can maintain profitability while enhancing customer satisfaction and retention. Navigating Equipment and Supplier Relationships: For shops considering entering the tire business, this section provides valuable advice on selecting the right equipment and building beneficial relationships with tire wholesalers and distributors. It emphasizes the importance of investing in high-quality, reliable equipment to streamline operations and enhance service quality. Mike also highlights the critical role of choosing a supportive wholesaler, one that not only offers competitive pricing but also provides exceptional service, ensuring shops can meet their customers' needs efficiently and effectively. Realities of the Tire Business With Hunt Demarest of Paar, Melis & Associates  
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive

Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network
    • By carmcapriotto
      Find out how the movie Mrs. Doubtfire relates to the automotive industry. Matt Fanslow explores the motivation behind self-improvement and giving credit when using someone else's knowledge or ideas.
      Show Notes
      Mrs. Doubtfire Movie Analysis (00:01:05) Analysis of the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire" and its characters, discussing the dynamics of the relationships and the impact on the main character's behavior. Motivation and Improvement (00:03:23) Exploration of the motivation to improve, drawing parallels from the movie's characters and their impact on personal growth. Learning from Others (00:09:30) Discussion about learning from colleagues and other professionals in the automotive repair industry, focusing on gaining inspiration and improving skills. Robin Williams and Improvisation (00:13:48) Reflection on the comedic genius of Robin Williams and his unique improvisational skills, leading to a discussion about his impact on the comedy community. Robin Williams' Legacy (00:16:16) Reflection on the impact of Robin Williams' passing and his reputation in the comedy world, addressing the complexities of his suicide and the issue of joke theft in comedy. Giving Credit to Intellectual Property (00:18:47) Importance of referencing and giving credit when using someone else's knowledge or ideas.  
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

• Our Sponsors