Installing a Hunter 4-Post Lift

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By Dnzauto
      hi , I have 5 parking lifts that need to be moved 7 miles.   They can be moved without disassembly on a trailer , or disassembled and moved and reassembled at the location that is 7 miles, 12 minutes away.

If anyone knows qualified, reasonable vendors, I would appreciate that.

there is NO rush.

Thank you
    • By Obsidian Motors
      Curious to know if anyone has experience with installing state mandated breathalyzers at their facilities? Was it worth it financially? After one DUI my state has a requirement that the device must be installed in the offender's vehicle and I'm wondering if this is something worth pursuing in terms of offering that service and registering with companies already certified with the DMV. Thanks in advance for any info.
    • By Junior
      Looking to sell a hunter RM 8000 lb alignment rack I have, with Model 611 alignment machine. Its loaded up on a trailer and ready to go, will deliver in the Hudson Valley area if you have a way to unload it. Asking $6,000 for the whole setup.

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Rick White, President and Lead Coach for 180BIZ, an auto repair shop training and business coaching company. He also owned and managed several successful automotive repair shops.
      Early in his career, Rick got his arm stuck under a vehicle while working underneath it. He managed to get out safely but it was a wake up call to him and for all of us as well. This is everyone’s concern. There are too many distractions like  cell phones, tablets, lackadaisical attitude of it never happening, not focused on job at task, talking to tech next to them and a whole lot more. We need to follow lift maintenance schedules religiously and document every procedure in order to check work properly.
      Rick White’s Previous Episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points:
      Lift safety- if you don’t talk about it and acknowledge it you are building risk Rick read about a tech that got killed by car falling off lift onto him in Richmond Virginia Last 18 months: 17 deaths from cars falling off lifts Early in his career, Rick was working on a vehicle by himself on the ground, arm got stuck but was able to get out safely- wake up call from beginning    Too many distractions- cell phones, tablets, lackadaisical attitude of it never happening, not focused on the job at task, talking to tech next to them Customers are trusting you with their lives when they hand you the keys  Need to implement an annual training program for everyone in the shop Autolift.org- certification program $16 per tech Visually inspect lift contact point, lift car and wiggle to ensure it settles and isn’t moving, safety latches are on Must follow maintenance schedule on lift- inspecting and checking fluids daily Have procedures in place in order to double-check work- tire safety: have tech document torque and road test If you get interrupted during job: document last thing you did on repair order/tablet etc then document what you were going to do nextWhen you get interrupted takes up to 20 minutes to get back into productive mode Be engaged with NOW- “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”Pluck the day- stop to pull some flowers, be present Use a buddy system- do not work on a vehicle by yourself, have cameras We work to live, we don’t live to work Link for on-line lift certification:https://www.autolift.org/ali-store/lifting-it-right-online-edition/ Resources:
      Thanks to Rick White for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Love what we do, buy a cup of coffee HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy Carm a Cup of Coffee 

This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve. With 2,500 exhibiting companies, you’ll see the latest products, parts, and technologies for your business. As a result, the event also offers advanced training for shop owners, technicians, warehouse distributors (WDs) and auto parts retailers, as well as networking opportunities to grow your business. AAPEX 2020 will take place Tuesday, Nov. 3 through Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020 at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas. Therefore, more than 48,000 targeted buyers are expected to attend, and approximately 162,000 automotive aftermarket professionals. They will be from 135 countries which are projected to be in Las Vegas during AAPEX 2020. For information, visit aapexshow.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Similar Tagged Content

• Our Sponsors