Quantcast

Finding Technicians Part 1- Chris Lawson [RR 803]

You never get a second chance at first impressions. It's true for customers and technicians. What do technicians find when they Google your shop? Or look on Facebook? What do you offer to your employees? How does it benefit their lives? Chris Lawson, TechnicianFind.Com Key Talking Points

• Polishing your shop's online presence to attract high-culture hires- control the narrative of your shop. 
  • What do you offer to employees? The feature is what you offer, the benefit is how it will benefit the technician. Pay for training? What is the benefit?
  • Book club together- paying for audible prescription 
  • If you’re looking to hire an experienced technician with a job, you need to go where techs hang out online and that’s social media.
  • Passive recruiting- always be on the lookout. Share your culture, employee and customer pictures
  • Invite technicians to be ‘the hero.’- what is the opportunity? It’s not about YOU. 
  • Building a Storybrand By Donald Miller
  • Business Made Simple By Donald Miller

Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partner: Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

ARN-Website-Banner-July-2022-1200x400-1.

Screenshot_340.png

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”