Quantcast

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Are You Considering Joining a Franchise?

Joe Marconi

Flash Sale + Social Proof

There appears to be a push from many franchise institutions such as Midas, Mineke and others urging independents to become franchises. With the economic climate the way it is these days, are there any shop owners out there that may be considering this option?

Just pick your choice, there are websites geared towards this!

auto_logo.jpg

http://www.automotivefranchise.com/autorepair.asp

• 4 months later...

Just reviving this thread. Fanchise fees could be a killer to a starting shop. I think that buying an existing franchise witha customer base is ok, starting new in this economic climate is not a good idea.

If you are thinking of making your existing shop a franchise, you should weigh out what the advantages if that woudl be vs. the cost of the program. The biggest advantages are the national advertising and POP material, in my opinion. BUT, if they run a $19.99 oi change...so do you.

You make great points. I don't think that a shop has to become part of franchise. But, while studying how to grow my business I looked at the franchise business design and a lot of their basic business principles work.

Franchises promote an atmosphere where people are more apt to buy. There is something to be said about a clean, flashy environment. Franchises have a business plan; they practice consistency and do a lot of marketing. Our industry could learn a few lessons from them.

• 1 month later...

Most shop owners were techs that became business owners. The skills for fixing cars are quite different from the skill needed to fix a business.

I think all shop owners can benefit from management and finical training. Too many shop owners spend countless hours wearing all the hats of their operation, literally killing themselves. This is due to their lack of business education.

Shop owners need to take a few lessons from the franchise world, create a plan, systems and policy. The best run businesses are those that can operate without the owner.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      According to Lang Marketing Aftermarket Consulting, Mobile repair and service is on the rise. I have mixed feelings about this, since repairing and servicing cars today is so complex.
      BUT, can mobile service be used to attract new customers, or used as a strategy to check the car out at someone's home or work, with the ultimate purpose to get the car to your shop? 
      From Lang Marketing 
      "Mobile Repair currently represents only a small portion of the Do-It-For-Me (DIFM) market, but it is growing at an explosive rate. As the DIFM light vehicle market plunged during 2020 and rebounded in 2021, Mobile Repair grew many times faster than the overall DIFM market, unhindered by the onslaught of COVID-19."
      Sources: 
      Lang Marketing Resources, Automotive Aftermarket Consulting, Research and Analysis  

• By Eric Roberts
      Firstly let me say that I an just a regular guy from the UK who is the owner of a seven bay service centre/garage. I am not a financial expert. The dreaded inflation is upon us again. For the guys as old as me then this is nothing new. Back in the 70,s we had 15% inflation, but we all got by and lived for better trading days. Here in the UK we have always looked up to the USA because of your business prowess. So what do you guys look out as your worst enemy!
      When prices are going up then I find that the gap opens between rich and the poor's disposable income. So this question will effect garage owners in different areas. My garage is in a poor area with many immigrant families who drive cars. So this means we have to be more flexible with pricing. Finding out if your customer can afford that service ! For this reason we devised a three tier service pricing structure. This has also the effect of not loosing your profit margins. 
      The lowest price should include an oil and filter change and a general vehicle check over. This way we find the customer will perhaps be able to afford a service and your profit margins wont drop. This is just one small idea that we carry out! What do you guys do in these times of high inflation ? 
    • By carmcapriotto
      Guest Host and Shop Tour with Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX. Four years ago Todd left his medical sales job and became the new owner of TC Auto Service.
      Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX.
      Key Talking Points
      Was in medical device sales but looking to make a change. His great grandfather, grandfather, and father were all in the automotive business Was a customer of the business and bought the business from the owner (who was 80 years old) Senior tech has been with the business for over 30 years- loves to teach and help others, maintains quality. He is a mentor for apprentices.  ‘Running out of concrete' as they started growing- purchased satellite location  7 lifts total Look at productivity by technician weekly- scoreboard with names listed, fun competition Drive through lanes with vehicles- 3 lanes  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      How to Market Your Auto Repair Shop Like a Pro
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      Founded in 1981 as the Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS), now called  Mobile Air Climate Systems, its focus is to provide unbiased information to shop owners and technicians, including technical resources and training for automotive air conditioning technicians. Let’s dive into MACS together and also learn about the benefits of becoming a member because no matter what the future holds, vehicles will need climate control. Peter Coll, President and COO, Mobile Air Climate Systems Association (MACS) Andy Fiffick, CEO Rad Air, 10-locations, franchise. Listen to Andy's other episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      MACS Activities: Act as a resource for the US EPA and foreign regulators on market conditions in the service sector. Provide guidance to the SAE on best practices for environmentally friendly and effective A/C service procedures. Provide technical resources to our members for problem vehicles and unique service challenges. Produce eight annual issues of MACS Action magazine with technical articles, A/C system trends and regulatory updates. Produce nine annual issues of MACS Service Reports offering in-depth diagnosis and repair procedures on everything from compressors to HVAC control units and the tools needed to provide effective A/C system service. Actively participate in future systems development, including new A/C system designs for future electric vehicles and the new fluids that will be required to operate them. Did you know that MACS was involved with R-1234yf five years before it appeared in the first vehicle in 2012? Hold an annual Training Conference and Trade show bringing together many of the industry's brightest minds, decision-makers, trainers, service providers, regulators, OEMs, and suppliers for 40+ hours of training and networking over 3 days. Provide use of our stadium seating training facility and classrooms for all things automotive or other local meetings within the community. MACS Member Benefits: MACS ACtion Magazine mailed to their registered address. MACS Service Reports mailed to their registered address. MACS technical helpline access. Five complementary EPA 609 Certifications annually. Significant discounts for our annual training event for both attendees and exhibitors. Discounts on in-person and online training classes. Discounts on other shop and small business-related items such as uniforms, health insurance, shipping etc. The most important thing obviously is your service procedures. It starts with understanding what the customer's complaint is  If you service an air conditioning system for any form of compensation, you're required to have an EPA 6 0 9 certification  MACS will be leading the way on, in the charge on what's the next problem, what's the next solution to those problems on all this thermal heat transfer.  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile