Quantcast

Flash Sale + Social Proof

Goodyear closing 92 Stores and will Cut 600 Jobs?

autoguy

Goodyear closing 92 Stores and will Cut 600 Jobs? Did anyone hear about this? They must be struggling.

"Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. announced that they will be closing down 92 of their retail stores across the United States. They will be laying off 600 full and part time workers due to the slow economy. Goodyear has a total of 742 stores in the United States.

The spokesperson for the company said that because of the economy, people are driving less and it has affected how often they are replacing tires and buying new cars. They are planning on closing stores that are under performing.

The company has reported income increases in the second quarter to $75 million which the year before was $56 million. Their revenue also rose by 6.5 percent to $5.24 billion."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW7BJ4F3qjw

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

What kind of an impact do you see this will have to the aftermarket???

For the time being it seems to me that demand is dropping faster than the number of shop which are closing.

From what I am hearing from around the country the number of shop closings could accelerate rapidly due to vast numbers of empty bays...shops are learning a definition of "slow".

I am not sure if the stores are made aware yet either, know a tech at a local GY that is has lost at least 50% of their business and recently laid off two techs. They are trying to regain market share with customer appreciation day each and every Saturday and 18.95 OLF. Even with this delayed marketing onslaught each and every time I drive by (3 times daily est) 0 two 2 cars in the shop. The manager even had the audacity to contact me and ask what my labor rate was? Its posted, feel free to visit any time and take advantage of the free services we offer.

Miles driven per motorist has been on the decline due to the rise in fuel. Because of this car counts are down across the country. This probably hurts the Goodyear accounts and other similiar stores that rely on a high car count to remain in business.

Considering the massive number of miles driven which could be defined as optional, the potential for this number to see a huge drop would seem quite high. Another shop owner told me recently how one of his regulars came in for some service in August. He normally drives 1,000 miles or so a month. He decided to make some major changes in his driving habits in a number of ways. The result was that the car had clocked 300 miles since April! That may be extreme, but I believe that many drivers could reduce their driving by thousands of miles each year.

People will no doubt changes their driving habits, but only so far. Most people who live in suburban areas with no mass transit must get to work. They may give up that weekend trip or plan errands better, but they will use their car. Many of my customers have purchased smaller cars and parked their pickups and SUV in the driveway. We also need to be concerned about the winter months. People will adjust their budgets accordingly. People in the northern areas have to eat, keep warm and get to work. They will have to cut some luxuries out of their lives, at least for now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      The gang’s all here; we have the entire Aftermarket Radio Network together for an important episode inspired by the movie Moneyball. We all have experience with people who are not our top performers, but are we better to have them on the team than not? You know them; they are consistent, reliable, steady, and contributors. Are they worth replacing? Will they become the best or top performers, or do they help strengthen our overall performance? A great discussion among your peers.
      Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast
      Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast
      Kim and Brian Walker, Shop Marketing Pros, Auto Repair Marketing Podcast
      Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast
      Key Talking Points
      What REALLY contributes to production? Simpson Paradox Simon Sinec points out that Navy Seal teams value Trustworthiness far, far more than Performance.  VIDEO HERE  Tech productivity is one of the most important aspects of business, but how can these numbers skew what that employee is really doing (helping others, sharing duties outside of production, etc.) Are there some numbers or metrics that actually can look too good, which could cause an issue for growth or retention Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes can be misleading. Do your numbers match up with what you are trying to do with the business? You have to have your head up and eyes wide open to make sure you can identify the "doers" in your group.  Do you have a scorecard for success for your technicians? Pay plans; incentive greatness Who are your ‘support people' to contribute and make the whole picture better Culture is contagious Training when hiring- Weaknesses- be honest with eachother Fine balance- profitability aspect, you can’t have a shop full of unicorns Removing obstacles  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Now that I am not a shop owner, I had to make an appointment to have the A/C checked on my wife's car. While the vehicle was being serviced, the tech noticed a bubble on the tire. I told the service advisor to get me a good set of Michelins.  He said that might be hard since he had trouble getting some sizes and models.  My wife drives a Mercedes E350. 
      Are you seeing tire-related shortages too? 

• By Joe Marconi
      I will be at the Elite Invitational next week and also making a presentation on "Identifying Your Ideal Customer." 
      If you are attending the event, please let me know. I would enjoy getting together. 
      For more information, click the link below. 

• By carmcapriotto
      Guest host and a shop tour with Lorenzo Pellicciotta, CarStar, Oakville, Ontario. Lorenzo discusses his path to becoming an entrepreneur and why processes and procedures are critical to gathering all information on a vehicle the first time.

Lorenzo Pellicciotta, President, CarStar, 2 locations Oakville, Ontario. Listen to Lorenzo's previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      1991 at 25 years old- worked at import dealerships, wanted to own his own business with anything (tool distributor, pizza, subs).  Purchased collision business- took a financial loss in beginning going from technician to owner Your vision will change- push and change your goals as time goes on. Learn from your mistakes and others.  Processes and procedures- capturing the disablement, ordering parts 1 time, when parts arrive the job starts and is completed. Eliminate second run-throughs. Uses pictures of what equipment should look like when it is put away.  Release meetings- 10 minute meetings, multiple times a day to keep everyone on the same page   
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      What do you do when one of your techs say, "Hey boss, the shop down the street just offered me $5.00 more an hour than what you are paying me."
      This actually happened recently to a fellow shop owner friend of mine. And, it's happening a lot more these days due to the tech shortage. 
      Do you match it?  Do you sit down and talk to the tech, persuade him or her to stay because money is not everything? Or do you tell the tech, make your own decision?  Or, do you put a plan together TODAY to avoid this from happening in the Future? 
      Your thoughts? 

• Our Sponsors