Quantcast

Dealerships going mobile

Last week a sales rep from a local Mercedes parts department stopped in to see me. He has been to my location several times in the past, always polite and professional. He handed me a paper with several topics highlighted such as extended parts dept. business hours during the week, Saturday hours, on-line ordering and mobile diagnostics. He provided additional information about each topic but the item that concerned me was mobile diagnostics. He explained that today’s vehicles are so complex that in many cases they require proprietary OEM equipment, information and training to efficiently repair them which they can provide, for a fee, at my location. He went on to tell me that they are equipping two vehicles, one vehicle for diagnostics and the other vehicle equipped with a compressor, tire machine and balancer. Whoa.... now he lost me, we need assistance replacing tires? Seems to me this mobile task force is NOT our friend but instead our foe, a wolf in sheep’s clothing. They are gearing up to provide mobile repairs in my area at my customers homes and work places, not good. I expressed my concern and he quickly informed me that everyone else that he had presented this concept to were very pleased to be able to receive assistance (for a fee) when needed and did not look at this as competition. This dealership is owned by Lithia, one of the top ten largest dealers in America. I doubt if we, the local independent repair community, could keep two mobile repair vehicles busy enough to warrant their existence. Fine, they are willing to “help” me (for a fee) with problem jobs at my location but I feel they are clearly after my customers. What are your thoughts? Are there any dealers in your area also offering this same service? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Tom Grady founded Redhawk Auto Service in 2005 with the goal of providing the Temecula Valley with high-quality automotive service that emphasizes excellence, value, and convenience. Tom Grady has over 35 years of automotive industry experience as a former executive with Ford Motor Company and Nissan. He was also an automotive dealer in Orange County and New York. Mr. Grady has an M.B.A. degree and a B.A. in Economics.
      The Grady’s also own full-service hand car washes and founded Redhawk Hand Car Wash in 2003. Mr. Grady has been actively involved in the community through the Rotary Club and as the past Chairman of the Lake Elsinore Chamber of Commerce.
      Key Talking Points
      6 bays in 2,000 square feet- 6 technicians, 15-year business. Last three years the business did 1.5-2 million per year.  Satelite location- needed more space but didn’t want to expand and purchase another business for a second location. Started looking at flex condos during the pandemic, found one that was available for purchase. It was a call center and part of it is offices for rent plus has offices for businesses for the first time. Tom equipt it with 6 lifts. 5 minutes away from first location. Service advisors will stay at first location.  Goal increase business but cut back expense to achieve efficiency  First location will be used for quick work, satellite location will be used for work and repair that take longer  Challenges- logistics, communications between both shops, AAA towing drop-offs (no parked cars overnight at satellite), and computer systems Marketing- saying “yes” to the customer. Tom loves the sizzle of “selling and marketing.” Tom is the visionary of the business and in the CEO ATI Program and his second in command is in COO program. Thanks to Tom Grady for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email  
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee

Gold Certification recognizes top tier NAPA AutoCares with a high level of participation in the AutoCare program. The program was built by AutoCare Centers for AutoCare Centers to provide a consistent consumer experience, maximize technology leverage, and reward NAPA’s most committed partners. In other words, Gold Certified AutoCare Centers are the standard bearers for the AutoCare brand nationwide. Simply put, the Gold Certified NAPA AutoCare program, powered by your local shop brand, will separate you from the rest helping you boost your bay counts and your average repair orders.
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare, Gold Certification, and the hundreds of other benefits the NAPA family has to offer by talking with your servicing NAPA store or visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By KAH
      I was hoping some of you might share your process for parts deliveries and returns within your shop. I made some changes due to COVID to minimize vendors having too much contact with my employees. But now looking beyond COVID I am reconsidering my entire system. Does a vendor deliver a part to your front counter/service writer? To a technician? Or do you have a dedicated "drop off" location? Also, how are returns handled? Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice you can give me.  
    • By CarterSD
      Hi all - first time poster here. I’m opening a quick repair / tune up shop in California soon so Im trying to get an idea of what the financials will look like. If I offer the below services when I open, what Product Sales percentages would be reasonable to expect? For example, is assuming ~30% of sales coming from Oil Changes too high? Too low? 

Service Sales % Oil & Filter Change   Transmission Fluid Flush   Cooling System Flush   Brake Fluid Flush   Engine Air Filter Replacement   Cabin Air Filter Replacement   Wiper Blade Replacement   Spark Plug Replacement   Pre-purchase Car Inspection   Car is not starting (inspection)   Check Engine Light is on (inspection) Thank you for any feedback!
      best, 
      Carter
    • By Richard Ehler
      I am planning on adding used car sales to my auto center, in atlanta, ga.  Any advice on software, buying, selling, financing, evaluating, reconditioning would be appreciated.
    • By carmcapriotto
      How to Have a Four Day Work Week with Eric Henley [RR 627]
      Eric Henley, owner of H-Teck Auto Care in Gray, TN, is 4th generation of mechanical repair. He received an associate's degree in Auto Service Technology and spent over 15 years at a Honda dealership. Eric started H-Teck Auto Care in 2006 with just him, his dad and his wife. Going on over 15 years in business he now has a 6 bay shop.
      4 generations in the automotive industryGrandfather was a blacksmith and father used to bring home cars to be fixed up. Eric grew up fixing bicycles, lawnmowers and cars.  Received an associates degree in Auto Service Technology Spent 15 years in dealerships- income can go down as skill level goes up (more skilled jobs often wouldn’t pay as much) Hiring new techniciansUses Indeed and Facebook Marketplace but the best results come from word of mouth and referrals from existing employees Current prospect is 21 year old Skills USA graduate  Current tenured technicians - 15 years, 11 years, 3 years Food Friday’sEither grill or go out to eat every Friday- have employee meeting over a meal All employees and Eric discuss any issues, improvements, ideas, areas needed for training, or tools needed. Open dialogue and non-formal Eric gives his employees the opportunity for responsibilities in the business- currently working on updating SOP’s with more DVI usage Shop is open 5 days a week with weekends offEric is in the shop 4 days a week because he trusts his employees- they are good people able to follow the SOP’s in place and make day to day decisions Employees will know if you don’t trust them- creates “neediness” for everything  Gives his employees monthly expenditures they can use for customers in need Spends extra time in the community and with his family He is very involved in his employee's lives and is flexible with work schedules based on their family schedules What makes a great service advisor?Excellent people skills and communication skills- enjoy talking to people Can think quickly on their feet, a warm personality, patient and good listener Similar to a good waitress/waiter- there when you need them, listen to what you need, then go on to the next table.  Both of Eric’s service advisors are in ongoing training Best service advisor trainers- previous service advisor, or previous technician with good people skills, or having parts experience TrainingRequires minimum 30 hours per year of training  Utilized online training a lot last year during COVID shutdowns RRR 588 with Jim Fleischman and Matt Manzone- Dealership tech now works for an independent How to Have a Four Day Work Week with Eric Henley [RR 627]
      Thanks to Eric Henley for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email  
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee
      NAPA Autotech Training helps your technicians keep their skills sharp and their NAPA Know How up to date. It’s the highest quality technical training that covers almost every vehicle system and every make and model. NAPA Autotech is presented by experienced instructors who are ASE master certified technicians. Even after a class is over, techs can access course information online with ClassPass. So when questions come up later they can get the answers. AutoCare Center owners who have taken advantage of Autotech Training say that well-trained technicians are helping to increase their shop’s repair capability and raise bay productivity. That results in fewer comebacks, more satisfied shop customers, and reduced technician turnover.
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors