Quantcast

Three Gallons of Trouble - gas gauge and attitudes

Gonzo

3 GALLONS OF TROUBLE

It was shortly after opening time when one of my long time regular customers
 brought their teenage son into the shop for a little discussion and repair time.  
The father and I go way back, and he knew I'm not one to take a lot of gruff, 
especially before coffee.  He looked at his son and told him, “Gonzo, probably 
hasn’t had his coffee yet so go easy on the old guy,” he said with a quick 
little nod and wink in my direction.

He was right about the coffee, but that still didn’t prepare me for the story 
I was about to hear.

The story started sometime earlier, apparently after I changed the fuel pump  
some two years ago. It had to do with his gas mileage.  Apparently, his 
incredibly detailed fuel charts  that listed every fill up, time, date, and the exact 
mileage there was always a 3 gallon discrepancy.  All traced back to the very 
day I put the fuel pump in over two years ago.  He was concerned, no, let me 
rephrase that, he was extremely upset and insisted that I was the cause of all 
this, and obviously, I must have done something wrong.  

His insistence that I was to blame was backed up by his anal retentive log book of every liquid that every entered his trucks orifices.  Everything was tracked by way of his trip odometer.  Before the new fuel pump he would get close to 400 miles per tank.  His accuracy was to be commended. Not a lot of people go to this amount of effort to calculate the different seasonal fuel changes and how it affects the overall mileage with a cross reference to the previous year and then highlight long trips in a different colored highlighter with notations about wind speed and weather conditions, or which direction he was traveling,  With all this cross checking, geological mapping, GPS location, and weather pattern charts there still was this 3 gallon gap.

Each fill up averaged right around 23 gallons from empty, and never a drop more than 23 gallons.  But now,  his fuel tank was holding 26 gallons. His question, “So, where is the other 3 gallons going?”  I tried not laugh, I’ve changed a lot of fuel pumps but I never have had anyone come in and tell me that there fuel tank now holds more fuel than before.  The dad smirk was getting wider and wider as the story and his teen aged son's lack of making me believe his story increased his volume and temper.  The whole time, good ol' dad just sat there with that look on his face as if to silently tell me, "You're turn... I'll just watch."

“I’m pretty sure your gas tank hasn’t increased in volume since a fuel pump has been changed.  I would imagine you’re probably mistaken as to how much your tank actually holds.  Did you ever check your owners manual by chance? ” I told him, as I reached for my coffee.

Nope, he wasn’t buying that.  He knew how much his gas tank has 'always' held and he knew I was the cause of his lost mileage. 

The more I tried to explain, the more upset he was getting.  He was quite sure (and demanding) that he was correct and that I wasn’t listening to what he was saying.  By now he was quite loud and belligerent over the whole matter. Poor old dad, laid a hand on his son's shoulder, but the boy just shrugged it off and continued on his rampant dissertation of fuel mileage vs. fuel tank volume.  At that point, I kinda figured dad had already had enough of his boy’s attitude and figured old Gonzo was going to straighten him out.  (This is going to take a lot more coffee…better start another pot.)

The aggravated son then began to tell me how good a mechanic he was, because he had rebuilt a few motors in the past so… he knew his way around under  the hood.  Then he added to his story with the usual, “I went to one of those parts stores that will read codes for you… they said the reason for the check engine light was because of a bad gas cap.”  

Now there's a new twist, oh wait I've got it now.  As long as the fuel mileage was the only issue it's safe to say you would have kept driving around with this attitude that I must have screwed something up, but... as soon as the check engine light comes on and another scrappy teenager with a code reader tells you that it's caused by a gas cap you put it together... and what do you know... it's Gonzo's fault.  I can see the whole scenario now, he was grasping at possible reasons why his gas mileage had dropped so much and now he's got some confirmation.  What gets me is how something as important as the involvement of the service light wasn't brought up sooner into the conversation but what is important is to tell me how good a tech you are and that you have already made this seemingly incompetent decision that I was to blame. 

So at this point, we have a service light on, we have a supposed loss of fuel economy (sort of), and I’m sure there is more… there is always more… I had to ask, “Anything else?”  

On occasions the ABS light comes on… he had that checked too.  This time he consulted the ever faithful internet.  He tells me in a loud forceful voice… as if I couldn’t hear anything he was saying, “That always means it’s time to rebuild the ABS controller.”   

Oh yea, I do that every day… I take the controllers apart and remove the epoxy sealer over the circuit boards and remove the effected components on the board and then reseal the whole thing back together. Sure it can be done, but not cheaply, and it sure isn't going to change that 3 gallons of fuel in the tank.  All this before my first cup of coffee?

Finally, dad convinced the son to dropped the truck off.  I went straight to the glove box and checked the owner’s manual for the fuel tank capacity.  It had it in big bold letters… 26 gallon capacity… not 23 as he was so sure of.

Just to be sure,  I checked the tune up parts and the filters… all looked great.  The next thing was to tackle the check engine light.  Yes there was a code, well a code that might lower gas mileage… sort of… but not by 3 gallons.  It was the evap solenoid valve code, P0449.  After testing the circuit and the valve it turned out the valve was at fault.  A new evap solenoid valve solved the problem.  As far as the ABS… nothing, not a thing, no codes, no history codes, and the system was working normally.  A drive test showed no problems but I gave him the benefit of doubt that he may have an intermittent ABS controller problem… however when I gave him the options of leaving it alone or changing it… he left it alone.

After all the phone calls were made and dad and son arrived to pick up the truck there was never another mention of the so called missing 3 gallons or the fact that it was merely the original fuel sender that was reading improperly all this time.  Or the fact that the loose gas cap had nothing to do with the service light either.

I guess when you’re wrong you don’t have to admit it, at least when you're a teenager, and dad is paying the bill.  But, you can be darn sure, if the mechanic is wrong, it's time to scream in his face, accuse him of incompetence, and let everyone else know about it, and write some review about, and then ask for your money back.  Welcome to the world of auto repair and some of the strangest customer reactions you'll ever run into.  

Oh, and I apologies for being the mechanic in this story, and I guess I should apologies for one more thing…..
 Writing in BIG letters on his invoice… YOUR TANK HOLDS 26 GALLONS! ! 

View full article

• Like 1

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      One of the lessons from COVID is for repair shops to have a strong cash reserve.  Shop owners need to budget their money each week, and allocate money to different bank accounts, such as payroll, operating expenses, taxes, etc.
      Another account I would recommend is to have a Cash Reserve account, where money is allocating each week, and not touched unless their is a emergency, such as an economic downturn and or if an economic emergency occurs in your area or with your company. 
      While no one could have predicted the affects from COVID 19, I think we can all agree that being cash strong is a viable strategy.
      You should have anywhere from 3 to 6 months of covered expenses in a separate bank account.  I know, I know....it's a lot of money. Start slow and build each week. Anything set aside is better than nothing. 
      Of course, to have a reserve means that you need to have the profit to put away. Right?  Well, another reason to know your numbers, revisit your pricing and make sure your labor rate is enough to support your payroll, operating expenses and have enough left over to set aside money for the unexpected.
      Trust me, you'll be glad you did. 

• By spencersauto
      What's your houlr labor rate and where are you located? We're currently at $95 in Texas
    • By carmcapriotto
      Key Talking Points
      Justin Fricke, CarTime Auto Center, Dundas, MN
      Stocks around 100 cars on lot for used car business in the same building The car buying experience has changed- the market isn’t full of new vehicles anymore, prices continue to increase month to month Justin started as a technician and is now part-owner Program through junior and senior high schools called Career Tech Education- job fair day of different businesses with displays. As a business, go to schools and ask about their programs available. Consider field trip to the shop Where do kids fit? Stereotypes around the trades need to be broken in school. Don’t push the kids that are the “bad students” into the trades. It is no longer a secondary career path. Also has detail shop- $200 for full detailing inside and out Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:

Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. By always innovating, Dorman has led the way in growing the aftermarket. Here you will see a few examples of a Dorman OE Fix. An OE FIX is a Dorman repair solution you can’t get from the original equipment manufacturer. It means they found a situation where they believe the OEM wasn’t giving repair professionals what they wanted, so we fixed it. Everything Dorman does is centered around providing customer value, both in the quality of products, and the creativity of solutions. Our engineers and designers go out of their way to save repair technicians time and save vehicle owners money. Want to really go under the hood? Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Kevin Syed, Owner of Integrity 1st Automotive, 8 Locations, Dallas Fort Worth TX, grew up with an entrepreneurial father and was always encouraged to lead. Having successfully earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management from University at Buffalo, Kevin went on to become a franchisee with Getty Petroleum / British Petroleum service centers for the better part of a decade in New York City. After gaining the knowledge, experience, and funding required to produce his own operation, Kevin went on to operate his own independent shops in New York. Kevin sought to find a new place to call home with his wife and twin girls; he longed for the community values and environment of the South and so his family made the decision to move to Texas. Integrity 1st Automotive was then born in Texas and Kevin has scaled his business to multiple locations across the Dallas Fort-Worth Metroplex. When he’s not working, Kevin enjoys local car rallies (e.g. Lamborghini Club Dallas), traveling, and hunting. Listen to Kevin's other Episodes HERE
      Carl Hutchinson, Owner, Complete Automotive, 2 locations, Springfield, MO has been in the car industry since 1982, but has worked on vehicles long before that time. He has a passion for engineering, for understanding how vehicles operate, and how to repair a customer’s concern. Earlier in his career, Carl started working at a GM Dealership, then went to work at independent repair facilities as a technician and eventually became a service advisor. Carl’s experience in the automotive industry led him to his current position as co-owner with Maureen Hutchinson of Complete Automotive in Springfield MO., where he works every day to provide high-quality, valuable service to all customers. Carl is an Alumni with Ozarks Technical Community College, Springfield MO Campus. He currently sits on the Automotive Advisory Board with Ozark Technical Community College, a member of South East Rotary, and a member of the Springfield Midwest Auto Care Alliance chapter. Carl has his Master ASE Certification, L1 and Service Advisor certification and is an AMI Graduate. Listen to Carl’s previous episodes HERE Kenny Wedow, Owner, Fine Tuned Auto, 2 Locations, Broomfield and Erie CO  knows cars. A natural talent even at the young age of 17, he pursued it auto repair in shop classes in school then slipped right into the work field. Working for dealerships such as Saturn, and Nissan, as well as other independent shops, has afforded Wedow with extensive and well-rounded education. More importantly, before Wedow branched off to open the doors of Fine Tuned Auto in 2013, he already learned the importance of patient diligence. Many dealerships and independent auto shops can default to make generalizations about the problems with your car, sometimes not always seeing the things that really might put you in danger on the road. The patience Wedow has to pull everything apart if need be to find the root answers makes him unique in his field. It is a quality that got him promoted to foreman at a Nissan dealership when he was only twenty-three. It wasn’t that the six technicians under him weren’t experienced, in fact, some of them had worked considerably longer than Wedow. However, his attention to detail and follow-through put him above and beyond. Listen to Kenny's other episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Building Trust- Focus on relationships, not transactions. Reviews, book of business, referrals etc. People always like to try something new, wow them. Make customers feel better- don’t fake it. Location Location Location- be selective. Walk-ins at an easy location will increase with oil changes etc. First chance to gain customers for life.  First impression marketing- Kenny uses poker chips with his information to attract new customers. Signage, uniforms, customer waiting area etc elevate the professionalism. The image plays a huge role in sales, female-friendly bathroom/lobby, cleanliness, smell in the waiting lobby, convenience etc. Be mindful of female customers, educate and simplify.  Direct mail, google ads, geofencing- who is your clientele? What advertisement is right for your area? Once you have multiple growing businesses- what is your year after year retention?  Why do people choose certain careers/trades? What is the reason? Look at different industries and see what they provide.  Focus on the relationship, not the transaction   Be involved in the community Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com

Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day. Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click. When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review. Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/chat to learn more.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By champtires
      Champtires – one of the leading e-commerce used tire sellers – is not facing supply chain issues. In fact, over the past several months, Champtires’ inventory has grown exponentially.
      “Luckily, we are still able to source really great tires right now,” said Brad Rea, president and founder of Champtires. “Ninety percent of our inventory has 7/32 tread or above, and we’re adding hundreds of Michelins, Pirellis, Continentals – tires in every brand really – every day.”
      Reselling used tires with significant tread life left saves them from ending up in a landfill. And it allows consumers and auto businesses to save drastically compared to new tire prices.
      “Relying on premium used tires is a responsible way to use recycled products while saving yourself a lot of money,” Rea said.
      High quality used tires are perfect if you need to match one or two to a remaining set or when replacing all four tires. Every tire that enters a Champtires facility goes through a thorough three-step inspection process. Free FedEx shipping is included on all website orders to the continental U.S.
      Learn more and shop now at Champtires.com.

• Our Sponsors