Quantcast

tirengolf

Military Discount

Customer gets my price down as low as I can go then they ask about a Military Discount. How do you guys/gals handle this. I usually sniff out the takers although these are nice people looking for the best price. I am sure this happens with others , I just have not found a way out. I usually compliment a oil change or a extra service although it always feels odd. Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, tirengolf said:

Customer gets my price down as low as I can go

Ok,  

Give me a scenario on a customer coming in and on what they are looking for a discount on. I may be able to help you in showing the customer a discount without effecting your margin that you need in making a win win for both.   

New customer calls pricing tires and wheels, tight margin items. After we get to the closing of the sell they say, oh by the way, do you have military discounts. What would you offer. 

First off in your zip code you have a military population of (web provided info) close to 25%. One quarter of your phone quotes are, or could be asking for that discount. 

When you are talking to them working up a price somewhere in the conversation ask them if there military  so you can work that into your price quote. 

Here again is my point on the statement that is made so many times " We don't want the discount shopper in our shop" In this area you would be saying I don't need 25% of my customer base coming to my shop !!

Work with your tire distributor, parts store , get creative , do something your competition is not to get these customers a reason to come to you and after a short while, price will have nothing to do with why they come to you. 

As those pilots would say " you are in a target rich environment "  

With tire rebates etc you have to work with you could be very creative in offers and not give up anything and gain customers.  

Set your labor rate, your parts matrix, and your coupons (military discount) in your SMS and stick to it. Don't override your labor rate, parts margins, and only allow 1 coupon per ticket. If you wanna give something away, goodwill it and track it on your P&L.

Elite suggests not discounting, but giving a customer something extra for free I believe. Check out their sales tips.

• Like 1

If you fade at all from your original price, for whatever reason, then they ask if you have a military discount, tell them you already gave it to them. Also, if price is presented as an objection, ask them if they have any coupons or are military before giving up or discounting anything, and try not to discount if they don't have any. Also, don't know how you'd give a military discount on tires. You could price other services so you could give the discount then if they ask say that on services you do but on tires you can't.