JustTheBest

The State of The Auto Repair Shop Industry in 2017

1 post in this topic

Struggling in today’s new economy, trying to build your car count and make the money you know you deserve while “big box” auto repair, new car dealers and that ‘price cutter’ down the street “eat your lunch?” If you’ve tried to grow your repair shop and profits but have failed, it may not be your fault. It could be you’re just using the wrong methods and tactics. 

You’ve heard that old adage “It’s not what you say… it’s how you say it”, right? Truth is, that applies to just about everything in life – and especially your marketing and advertising. 

There’s no shortage of schemes and scams sold as “new marketing ideas” along with “gurus” that go on and on with solutions as they tell you to “just send them a piece of mail”, or “just send them an email” or even “just send them a text” – but it’s the message that’s important – not the way you send it. 

So you’re left asking “Is it really is possible to grow your car count and profits?” It is, but first let me tell you a little about myself. 

I owned a repair shop just like you – and I struggled. In fact, I faced bankruptcy – looking it straight in the eye. It’s not pretty. It wasn’t until I focused on specific direct marketing strategies and developed a deeper understanding of ‘how customers think’ that I was able to turn my shop around and finally get what I wanted out of life.

Today, working strictly with auto repair shops to grow their business, I research and develop marketing strategies and tactics to the point it’s consumed and embarrassingly large amount of my time and energy. Family and friends say that my pursuit borders obsession. They’re wrong. I crossed the line long ago. 

I know of no subject more fascinating - yet often more confusing. The confusion is not only unfortunate; it’s largely unnecessary. 

In reality, given today’s fast pace world and unlimited opportunities, it has never been easier to stand out and steer clear of the 5 dangerous trends that each shop faces. It doesn’t require good looks, a silver tongue, charisma or a magnetic personality. It’s really simple when you cut through the smoke and mirrors. Cutting through the smoke is the hard part. 

In fact, if you haven’t grown your car count, profits and lifestyle to the level you want, it likely has nothing to do with you. It’s not your fault. 

Given the shell games of strategies being sold like “shovels and maps at the gold rush”, it’s a wonder we still have an independent repair shop industry at all. 

If this barrage of schemes, programs and complicated systems has left you more confused, take a deep breath and relax. We’ll take aim at this confusion, blow away the smoke and remove the mirrors and make things as simple as possible – and we can work miracles. 

But first – we must clear the smoke. 

When you get down to the “nitty gritty”, it’s all about direct response strategies. Thousands , or even hundreds of thousands of postcards sent to the wrong market with the wrong message can’t compare to a single well organized, tested and proven strategy. It’s those simple, effective and proven ways shop owners that know me make money every single month. 

How do they know they’re making money? They deploy simple systems and track everything - because the numbers don’t lie. Above that, those shop owners understand that there really are only 3 strategies repair shops need to focus on. 

Those 3 Strategies – known as “The Auto Shop Marketing Pyramid” cuts through the clutter and confusion that’s being pushed and sold to you – while making your marketing plan simple; regardless if you’re a new shop – or if you’ve been in business for years. (I cover that in detail in “The Auto Shop Owner’s Unfair Advantage” and you can get unlimited free access to Module 1 below.)

Don’t let yourself get caught chasing “shiny objects” and the latest “new-fangled-thing”. Marketing hasn’t changed in decades – delivery channels certainly have – but marketing hasn’t. 

Put your shop on a strict diet of “direct response marketing strategies” that work time and time again – and don’t get fooled by those “shiny objects” and so called authorities that lead you like a horse chasing a carrot. 
Hope this helps!

Matthew Lee
"The Car Count Fixer"

Get "The Official Guide to Auto Service Marketing"

Fix Your Car Count in 17 Minutes... Guaranteed!

The Shop Owner's Unfair Advantage FREE Access

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JustTheBest
      Thanks for stopping by. There’s a lot of recent discussion about oil changes; who’s doing Your Customer’s Oil Change; And other topics related to getting more “car count”. 
      My question is, “What are you doing for your shop to increase car count? Is it working? If not, what’s your struggle?
      Thought it would be a good place to “compare notes” and see what’s working for those that want to share. 
      Looking forward to your comments, likes, dislikes and anything you want to share.
      Matthew Lee
      “The Car Count Fixer”
      Get "The Official Guide to Auto Service Marketing"
      Fix Your Car Count in 17 Minutes... Guaranteed!
      The Shop Owner's Unfair Advantage FREE Access
    • By Ron Ipach

You might be thinking I'm going crazy, right? Talking about advertising in the Yellow Pages in this day and age, but for some shops, advertising in the Yellow Page still makes sense. Now, bear with me. Don't stop and think I've gone off my rockers. Let me explain what I'm talking about:
      Everybody's clientele is different. What is the average age of your clientele, of your better clientele? You want the people that are coming in and spending money with you. If you're finding that you have an older clientele, chances are, most likely, they're still using the Yellow Pages. Admittedly, I had to go over mom and dad's house to get a Yellow Pages because I don't have one at my home, but look, I'm not of the age demographic that is off of the internet.
      A lot of people are on the internet but quite a few people are still intimidated by the internet, and they're more likely to grab a Yellow Pages and search for a business to do business with. We don't want to alienate them, and if you're staying out of the Yellow Pages, you have a 0% chance of them ever calling your shop. This isn't for everybody. I mean, All I've been doing recently is broadcasting the importance of getting found online and getting referrals. Look, I get it, and I can't wait to hear the comments down below the post after this. For some, as a matter fact, for a lot of auto repair shops, advertising in the Yellow Pages still makes sense.
      If you recall, if you go way back depending on how long you've been in business, when I first started working with auto repair shops about 20 years ago, Yellow Pages was the dominant place where everybody advertised. If you remember what it was, it was very expensive and there was just page after page after page after page of display ads, and your chances of getting noticed amongst all that noise were pretty slim and none.
      Everybody hated the Yellow Pages because it was so expensive, but I found a way, and a lot of my clients found a great way to put in a really good ad and get a lot of business from the Yellow Pages. If you've been with me for a while, you know my style of advertising is a lot different than what most other people will do. The ads that we put in the Yellow Pages actually got a ton, and I do mean a ton, of phone calls, from perspective clients. If you put together a kick-butt ad now you could get the same results.
      I currently have a Greater Cincinnati Yellow Pages book here with me. I'm in a suburb just north of Cincinnati. There is an entire auto repair section. It starts on one page and it ends on the very next page, and that's it. A front and back of one page is all it is. Remember, this used to be pages and pages and pages of display ads. Right now, display ads, this one has one, two, three, four, five. Five display ads on this side, and we've got a small ad right here and an even smaller little in-column ad, a couple over there, and that's it.
      That's for all the auto repair shops that are in this area, and there are quite a few of them, by the way. Everybody else has decided to stay out of the Yellow Pages. Remember the problems with the Yellow Pages before. They were busy. There were too many, too much competition. They were expensive. Right now, that's not the case, so that's the reason why I would encourage shop owners to maybe look at using the Yellow Pages if you're trying to attract an older clientele.
      Again, if you find your older clientele are not the demographic that you're going for, then the Yellow Pages is the wrong idea, but if you're in a retirement community, if there's a lot of elderly people around you and you want to attract them to your shop, this could be a really good place because they still use this. They're not walking around with their mobile phones looking for a shop to do business with. They're actually still using the Yellow Pages.
      There's a lot less competition. The ads have gotten extremely cheap compared to what they used to be. The Yellow Page reps, the reality is since everybody's shying away from the Yellow Pages, they're giving great deals. I mean, they're giving away everything possible to get you to advertise in the Yellow Pages.
      Leave no stone unturned. Investigate the possibility. Look at the clientele that you have. You might even start asking people, "Hey, do you still use the Yellow Page, Pages?" and if a lot of them do, that might be a really good place for you to start advertising again.
      -- Ron Ipach (a.k.a Captain Car Count)
      President/Founder of Repair Shop Coach More articles and content like this and originated through Ron Ipach's Car Count Daily campaign Auto Repair Shop Owners, Managers, and Automotive Industry Professionals are invited to join 'Car Count Daily Boosters' LinkedIn group to provide resources and gain insight on boosting car count DAILY and filling up the bays in their shops.
    • By Joe Marconi
      According to a recent survey featured in the May issue of National Oil and Lube News, 38% of the motoring public usually go to a new car dealer to have their oil changed. Second place was a quick lube and third place was the traditional auto facility. 
      Now, I have to admit, this survey was done by a publication dedicated to the Quick Lube industry, so I am not sure of any bias here. But it is worth taking note that the people polled were car owners from across the country. And, in spite of what we think about the new car dealers, they do want to penetrate the consumer market we took for granted for so many decades.
      The point is that in today’s competitive climate we need to take a proactive approach to our business.  Anyone who knows me or reads my articles and posts know I have been preaching this for some time now.
      We also need to be convenient and deliver world-class service.  We need trained people on the phone and on the service counter.  Of course you need quality techs, training, information systems and the best equipment.  But, look at your business through the eyes of your customers.  That will tell you your next marketing strategy.
      If I were you, I would do my own survey….find out for yourself….Who’s changing YOUR customer’s oil?
    • By brian lorenzo
      I am need of some advise. So the last year and a half we have had an up and down roller coaster of a ride. I have spent pat of my time trying to get our newest location up and running and neglected our original. In that time I have had a rash of "bad" employees, both techs and counter people. Quite a few upset customers and quite a turn over. 1 or 2 in particular have completely destroyed our reputation. We lost our core clientele as well as low car caking l, aro and overall phone calls and business. During this stretch, we would have great months when I or my GM would be there full time, then the complaints, and crash when we relaxed. April this year we had our worst month since 2008 right after 4 consecutive good months. Does anyone have any type of suggestions on how to go about repairing the damage that has been done? 
    • By JustTheBest
      Hello ASO Member!

You may not know, but a couple of years ago, I released “The Shop Owner’s Unfair Advantage”. It was a 5 week training course to help shop owners fix their car count. 
      It became the world’s only marketing course designed specifically to help auto repair shop owners.
      But over time, things change, so I updated that course. 
      “The Shop Owner’s Unfair Advantage 2.0” was released earlier this year with great success. The difference is the 2.0 version includes 
      Marketing Strategies that are working today (tested and proven) over 7 hours of video, plus downloadable and printable manuals for each module Unlimited Access any time you want. You can review classes at any time– even if it’s 2:00 am Sunday morning I not only detail “step-by-step” the campaigns that I’ve used with private client shop owners, but I actually give you all the “fill-in-the-blank” templates to duplicate these campaigns yourself! That’s like having me sitting at the desk beside you while you market your repair shop! And a bunch more too! Because of the success of this course, I’ve decided to open up UNLIMITED ACCESS to Module 1 for FREE! (There’s that “F” word!). But this is a limited time offer and may be removed at any time without warning. 
      Click here and You can get access right now.
      What’s “The Shop Owner’s Unfair Advantage 2.0” include?: The complete course covers…
      11 Ways to Make More without spending a dime The 5 Dangerous Trends that Your Shop faces today! The Auto Shop Marketing Pyramid – the only three strategies you need! 21 Hard Cold Facts about Marketing On-line The one small change that Google Made that wiped out 1,000’s of repair shops – and how to fix it! UXO Optimization – How to Optimize User Experience on your website Multi-Dynamic-Home Pages – Use this trick to triple or quadruple your online exposure What “Schema” is all about – and why you need it! How to Market to Current Customers The Secrets of Text Message Marketing Direct Mail Secrets (Yes, it’s still really, really profitable!) Fill in the blank Templates – copy, paste and you’re done! Secrets of getting more Customer Referrals in a month than most shops get all year! How to get the right Testimonials that sell! … and lots more! Get instant access right now!
      If you have any questions, you're welcome to contact me directly or through this forum. 

Hope this helps!

Matthew Lee
      "The Car Count Fixer"