• Announcements

• AutoShopOwner

Advertising & Promoting Your Company On AutoShopOwner - Information   02/25/2017

This message is only shown to FREE members and goes away after subscribing to a paid membership. If you are joining AutoShopOwner to promote your business, service, or product to this community of auto shop owners, please subscribe to a Sponsor Member Annual Package before doing so. With the correct membership, you will have the ability to post about your company in your posts and forum signature.

You can upgrade your existing membership here.

All marketing attempts to this community without proper membership level and/or approval by staff, will be considered spam, result in topic/post removal, and a warning, which can lead up to the banning of your membership, company and/or product on all pages of AutoShopOwner.

Thank you for your support.

Internet Reliability - New Router

If anyone was ever to use a cloud based software offering, you generally get redundant hardware in the network which helps uptime.  However, with cloud offerings, you are hosed if your internet is not reliable.  Also, most of us only have a single wire entering our buildings that provides the internet connection.  If it was severed, there is no backup.   I've found a router that can help keep your business online if your main service goes down.   It is called CradlePoint and the model that most businesses would want is the smaller AER1600.    What's unique about it is that it allows you to install a wireless SIM card in the router.   The router will automatically track the connectivity of your main internet connection and when it finds that the internet is down, it will automatically switch over connectivity to the wireless network.  Then, when the outage is over, it will return you to the main connection.  You would only pay for wireless data during an outage or however your wireless SIM card contract reads.    I believe this router is approximately

There are downsides to using this in failover mode.   If you are reliant on a static IP address for certain services, then those services would go down.   Your main internet provider is providing the static IP address, so if your main connection is down, so is your static IP address.  This might impact things like remote access, remote security camera viewing and a few other services.   Another downside to this is that your external IP address would be different at failover, so if you have any services tied to the external IP address, then these will not work.  For instance, my state inspection machines are tied to the external IP address.  They would not operate online until the main internet is resumed. 

While I'm on the topic of connectivity, shop wireless connectivity can sometimes be dicey.  I've found a good wireless access point that is used in schools, office buildings and outdoor venues.  It's scaleable to 100's of devices and has a directional signal (vs omni-directional) that puts more power towards the device communicating.   Small businesses, typically need 1-3 units.   It is called Ruckus Wireless AP Zoneflex R310.  It's about $350.   It has support for both public and private WiFi networks.

I hope this is in the right forum.  Internet connectivity and software go together in my mind.    I've not used either of these devices, but will be purchasing both.   I've done exhaustive research on them and believe that they are both worthy of consideration.   I'm in no way connected to either business.   I'd be happy to answer any questions on this subject if desired.

• Like 1