Quantcast

what do employers look for when hiring ?

skm

I was wondering what employers are looking for when hiring mechanics/techs? I am coming to a point where I need to start looking for a new job. I have been at the same place for 26 years. Ase Master tech, L1, state inspection license and master Emission license. I get paid 50% commission with 10 days paid vacation a year and that is it. No other benefits. I do have a guarantee of 1000 a week before taxes.

The problem is the shop is not run properly kind of backwards diagnostics don't pay much 50 bucks. Which in to days age is very low in my opinion. It seems that in the last several years pay has gone backwards, probably due to a lot of factors the industry being one. I use to be able to put money away in savings but now a days that is not possible.

One of the reasons I am thinking of moving on is I just got a letter from my health insurance that is now going to be over 700 a month and that is even less money I will have. So any advice on what employers are looking for and what most offer now a days will be appreciated. Thanks.

xrac, Thanks for the kind words. I am going to put my feelers out there and see what happens. Yes it is crazy with the health care, I remember years ago when you paid a fair amount and got coverage for everything, no out of pocket etc.. yes my deductible went up to 3500 for individuals and 8600 for family.. unreal. Then again it something that we all do need. Probably the biggest problem is no caps on what these hospitals/doctors charge for services. It is unreal an office visit with very little exam costing 600.00+ with the insurance company paying a small fraction "the allowed amount" . So if you didn't have insurance you would be on the hook for the whole amount.. That is probably the biggest reason why the costs are so high . Put a cap on it set prices and all these crazy insurance rates would plummet . Not to mention allowing more insurance companies so there is a choice then they are forced to cut costs to win clients .

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable. 
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      If you're thinking about transitioning from employee to shop owner, this episode is for you. Instead of guessing your way through the transition, let the Aftermarket Radio Network be your free library of industry peers across the country help you get started the right way.
      Maylan Newton, ESI- Educational Seminars Institute, is a business coach, trainer and industry speaker. Maylan's previous Episodes HERE Vic Tarasik, CEO of Shop Owner Coach. Vic’s previous episodes HERE.
      Show Notes:
      A good technician only makes a good business owner with proper training, guidance, and accountability. You need these 5 professionals- business coach, accountant, financial planner, insurance advisor, attorney Build the business that survives you and provides a legacy to your family the business is not about you is about all the people that depend on the business for their survival, family employees vendors Most importantly, do not treat your business as a hobby you not fixing cars running a business The business owner is the leader, not to fix cars/writing service “People are so afraid of success, that when they reach success they self-destruct.” Not paying yourself opens the door to resenting the business.  What is YOUR cost of doing business? Don’t let the high level of confidence in fixing cars create a false sense of security in solving all things in business. Ask questions of the right individuals- someone with experience who’ve successfully overcome what you have in front of you “Implementation of knowledge is power.” Focus on the fundamentals from the beginning  “Begin with the end in mind” (Covey)- Now that your journey has begun, what is your endgame?  “Life begins and ends at the edge of your comfort zone” Pay your taxes- set up a system where deductions from  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com

Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Happy New Year to all Auto Shop Owner members and their families!  It's been a wild ride the past few years, but automotive shop owners and their staff are amazing and resilient people! 
      Let's make 2023 and beyond our best years! 

• By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By Joe Marconi
      As we close out 2022, it's time to reflect on the past year. Review your accomplishments, the state of your business, your personal life, and things that could have gone better. The key thing to remember is that it's better to have a plan and goals instead of trying to fly blind. 
      Establish your goals for 2023 and beyond. Include family time too, and time for yourself.  It's not all about business. Having the right balance will actually make your business more successful.  
      Speak with your employees too. Find out from them what went wrong, what went right, and what they would like to see in the coming year. While you can't always act on what your employees want, getting their perspective will not only help you create the plan moving forward, it will help to build morale, a win/win for all. 

• By Joe Marconi
      We often speak of the "Customer Experience," which is crucial to the success of your auto repair shop. But equally important is the "Employee Experience."
      I don't have to remind anyone that happy employees make happy customers, but this concept goes even further. If you want to attract superstar candidates and hold on to the superstars you employ right now, you must do all you can to ensure that your employees have a healthy workplace where they are appreciated and can grow and enrich their careers.
      I know we have a lot of great shop owners on this forum. What do you do to create a great workplace environment that both attracts and retains top talent?

• By nptrb, in Automotive Industry,

By nptrb, in Automotive Industry,

• Our Sponsors