Quantcast

mmotley

Jump Box / Booster Pack

Our shop jump box is getting to where if it is not left plugged in every night, you've got a 50/50 chance of jumping off a car with a dead battery. It's probably about 6 years old or so, so I'm thinking it might be time to replace it. I've checked out the tool flyers and I've started seeing these new, smaller jump boxes that claim to do just as good of a job as the bigger/heavier/bulkier jump boxes. Does anyone have any feedback on these? I know snap-on had one in their flyer, but I can't find the link for it. I'll link to one similar for reference.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1473255573&sr=1-5&keywords=booster+pack

For what it is worth Consumer Reports has reviewed the really small jump starters and this was their top five all reccommended. It looks like the Spirit A8 is the cheapest. Their report said that these can be iffy in freezing temperatures.

Antigravity Batteries XP-10

Spirit A8 Car jump starter

Bolt Power D28

New Brights Compact 12000mAH Mini Portable Car Jump Starter

PowerAll PBJS12000R

I have a few. They are good to keep in your trunk or glove box in case of emergency. I don't think I would use one for day to day operation. Best to go with a full size for the shop.

I have a few. They are good to keep in your trunk or glove box in case of emergency. I don't think I would use one for day to day operation. Best to go with a full size for the shop.

That's what I was expecting to hear. I did a little research online and found a replacement battery for ~$50 shipped, and is supposed to last up to 22% longer B) A couple of phillips head screws and the box comes apart.