Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
njaba

Help bring back the safety portion of the Inspection Program in New Jersey

We need your help!

As you may be aware, back in July of 2010 the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commissioner did away with the safety portion of the state's inspection program.

Here is the PR:http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/PressReleases/archives/2010/071610.htm

MVC Chief Encourages Vehicle Owner Responsibility as State Inspection Program Changes August 1

(TRENTON) – Beginning August 1, biennial passenger vehicle inspections will entail only an emissions check and the exemption for new and used vehicles four years old or newer will be extended to five years under program changes announced today by New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) Chief Administrator Raymond P. Martinez. The changes, which will produce an approximate annual savings of $17 million, will take effect as the MVC continues its efforts to encourage vehicle owner responsibility and regular maintenance through its NJ Inspections public education campaign. ...

The savings never materialized, two years later NJ.com reported that the state had lost over $12mm in savings:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/11/nj_motor_vehicle_commission_mi.html

Report: N.J. missed out on $12M in savings since ending mandatory auto inspections

When New Jersey ended auto safety inspections more than two years ago, the state estimated it would save more than $11 million a year.

It hasn’t worked out that way.

A report released today by the state auditor, Stephen Eels, found the Motor Vehicle Commission has missed out on $12.6 million in savings since the inspections were discontinued in August 2010. ...

We need data to support our position to restore the safety inspection in New Jersey!

If you have any highly neglected vehicles coming into your shop and the owners refuse to repair their vehicle please let us know. Document the record, so we can share it with our legislators!

People are driving thousands of cars that are highly neglected on our roads endangering everyone's lives.

Please email us with your concerns at [email protected] so we can push forward with this initiative.

Get involved, we hope to hear from you now.

Irma Diaz

Assistant Director NJABA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By RiverhillAutomotive
      In may I quit my job of 9 years and purchased an auto repair shop. I was previously employed as a field mechanic for Cummins. At my shop we focus on general repair. It's been a whirlwind since I bought the place but i couldn't be happier to be here. I've included some pictures of the shop. 

• By Dakotaj96
      Hello everyone 

I am looking to open up my new shop within 3 months and honestly feel a little in over my head, I’ve spent days reading on here and while it’s awesome I feel I need something more formal. The main 2 things I’ve found has been the RLO training course or the Ron Ipach fast lane training program. Has anyone one taken either of these courses or have a different one to recommend? 
    • By autoguy
      I was browsing Amazon looking for something had no idea that they have privately branded motor oil now. What caught my eye was the 5W-30 full synthetic dexos 5 quart jug at $17 for high mileage cars. Thought it was interesting. Wonder who makes it for them.

So I did a little research online and found this youtube review

Here's another:

• By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      Our team at Elite is excited to announce that we're now offering online peer groups for shop owners through an all-new service: Elite Synergy Groups.
      Our Synergy Groups have been designed to help shop owners access the guidance, support and motivation that peer groups deliver, but exclusively in an online environment with no travel required.
      Shop owners who become members will be able to attend regular face-to-face web meetings with the other members in their group, and have open discussions where they can learn what’s working well for other shop owners throughout the country. Elite will also provide group members with a platform to communicate outside of the face-to-face meetings so that the shop owners in each group will have more opportunities to build relationships, and create a culture where each group member is truly invested in the success of their fellow shop owners.
      Every group will be led by a shop owner with an extraordinary track record of success (who is also an Elite Business Development Coach), and each web meeting will include a presentation from the group leader on recruiting, marketing, sales, shop management or whatever the group votes is in their best interest.
      Group members will also have access to a group Resource Center, where every month we’ll be adding new videos, webinars, guides and training content that will help you build a more successful auto repair business.
      The first group will have its first meeting on Oct 10th, and as a special promotion, Elite is offering a $50 discount for all shop owners who enroll in the inaugural group. There is no contract with this service, so if you ever feel the group is not meeting with your expectations, you're free to discontinue at any time. 
      Call 800-204-3548 or visit our Synergy Group web page to reserve our spot today!
    • By Nevil Jay
      Hi, 
      I'm currently looking into a business acquisition. It's a wheel repair shop based in South California. I have questions in terms of profitability and also, the expenses involved within the business. 

I have profit and loss statements of the business. They currently operate 24/7 and have 30-35 employees. I am looking for someone who has experience in this sector that may be able to give me some unbiased advice. I also wanted to somehow come up with a valuation of the business. It operates out of a leased building, but consistently profits the owner a large amount of money. Who should I look for to verify these numbers? Will any CPA be able to understand?

Thanks in advance, 
      Nevil 

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors