Quantcast

Frozen batteries

Is there any hope for frozen batteries? Lately we have been dealing with fairly new units in college kids cars that got discharged over a couple weeks and froze. I'm tempted to defrost them in the shop and see if they'll take a charge, my tech says forget about it they are garbage. Apparently -26 degrees will freeze a battery with 12.2v. Did I mention I'm done with winter?

• Like 1

You can bring them back to life and they 90% of the time be okay. warm them up slowly and charge them slowly. If you are hitting these temp you should look in to offering a winterization package. a block heater, battery trickle charger and engine oil pan heater all tied together with a 3 way that come out the front.

If you would like help let me know, I can get you set up and show you all the tricks.

Welcome to life in Canada! (and Alaska, in John Pearson's case)

It also depends on how "deep" the battery is frozen.

A battery with 12.2-12.3v that freezes overnight or for a couple days should have no problem being thawed out indoors and trickle charged back to a decent life.

That same battery that has been frozen for a couple weeks has probably lost a significant portion of its life, even if you thaw it and charge it back to full, it may have lost a few years of it's life.

Freezing a battery damages it internally as the ice expands in the small gaps and can damage plates and loosen connections.

If it won't hold a charge after being thawed you're probably looking at a dead cell from a broken internal connection.

The case can also be cracked from ice expansion, which can cause a slow leak of battery acid.

• Like 1