Quantcast

juzmotorsport

Stuck being the middle man

I am not sure if this question will apply well to this forum but maybe someone can point me in a direction to get some advice.

I own a performance shop in Boise, we cater to high end vehicles which we upgrade and customize.

My question is, we run into instances in which we have recommended a part or parts to be installed on a vehicle that turn out to be faulty and or don't fit as advertised. While we are used to the fact that 'bolt-on' is a loosely used term and adjustments always need to made, when we spec a part, then install it and it fails prematurely I find it hard to decide how to charge to fix said part.

Most times the vendor/manufacturer will honor warranty on the part and replace it. But, how to charge for the diagnosis and re-re?

I feel in order to maintain a good reputation that the proper thing to do is not charge labor on the repair but, unfortunately this is not an uncommon problem in the performance world. As such it can get to be a financial burden.

Thanks,

Rory

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Shop Owners: You don’t have to answer every question for your employees

As shop owners, we sometimes feel that we need to answer every question and handle every situation. While you need to be proficient as a business owner, you also need your employees to think for themselves.  Empower your people to solve problem.  Ask them for their opinions and don’t be too quick to jump in on every situation.  The more you jump in and solve their problems, the more they will rely on you. This is not to say you don’t have their back; but a team functions best when everyone takes ownership of their position and takes responsibility to take care of problems. Will employees make mistakes? Yes.  But there isn’t a shop owner on this planet that has a perfect record at making decisions.  We all make mistakes. As a shop owner; teach, mentor and coach.  Include your employees in on decisions that relate to their job position.  When employees feel you trust them, they will begin to solve their own problems. This will set you free to work on the things that will bring you greater success.

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 2 replies
    • Auto shop owner new forum topics

Just got my e-mail on the latest forum topics. Out of 20 topics 7 are marketing ads from the same person. Also under popular forum topics of 5, 3 are ads also by same person of which no discussion took place. So how are these popular. I get a ton of advertising e-mail. Just didn't expect this from ASO. I do look into some ASO sponsor ads. But this is not necessary.

By slowtech, in Member Feedback

• 14 replies
    • High Performance Workshop In Chicago! (Customizable To YOU)

Let me ask you a few questions about your year to this point… Has 2018 been the killer breakout year that you hoped for? Are you still tired of not having enough quality car count in your shop every day? Are you wondering why you’re working so hard, yet not making the money you should be making? Is the endless ‘feast or famine’ of this business driving you nuts? Are you frustrated with running around your shop all day putting out fires – instead of getting any ‘real’ work done? Are you ready to get a proven plan handed to you on a silver platter that will help you attract an endless supply of customers, crank up your profits, and get your shop running in tip-top shape – while working fewer hours than you’ve ever worked before? If so, you’ll want to do everything humanly possible to clear your schedule and join us at the upcoming High Performance Workshop (August 18th & 19th)
      - UPDATE: EVENT HAS PASSED. CLICK HERE TO WATCH AN EXCLUSIVE SALES TRAINING You’ll be exposed to the TRUTH about what it takes to be successful in today’s environment from an actual million dollar shop owner. This workshop is a 2-Day LIVE intensive training where we take you by the hand and walk you through every step of what it takes to run a KICK-BUTT, smooth running, and HIGHLY PROFITABLE repair shop! Click here to learn more and register today! Ron

By Ron Ipach, in Shop Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

• 0 replies
    • Best Interview Question?

I was wondering what is your best interview question? I know the collective mind of ASO is full of wisdom and great ideas. Maybe the best interview question you SHOULD have asked. I figure by the end of this thread we will all have a few fresh questions for that next applicant.

By Shopcat, in Human Resources, Payroll and Training

• 3 replies
    • Need some advice

Hi, so yesterday a girl walks in and handed me some pictures of what looks to be a Black spot on her cooling fan like something has been rubbing on it. She explained that she was on a trip over the weekend and something it happened she lost all her coolant while driving. She had it towed to the local Subaru dealer. They told her the cooling fan had rubbed a spot through on the upper radiator hose causing the engine to loose it’s coolant, it overheated and now supposedly the engine is seized up. Guess who just replace the radiator about one month ago Yep we did. Luckily she’s a very nice girl but kind of sat there wondering what I would do for her. she said the dealer quoted her six grand for a new engine... of course that’s not gonna happen since has approximately 200,000 on her 05 Subaru Outback. Now the vehicle is approximately three hours away and she’s wondering what I can do for her. I talk to the dealership that the car is that they basically said whoever put the radiator in is at fault but they didn’t know why the hose started rubbing against the fan??? Anyway we were in that spot last so I feel like I’m responsible to do something. Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on how to handle this, or if anyone has had similar situations. Thanks.     Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By autorepairuniversity, in General Automotive Discussion

• 12 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors