Quantcast

Throwing my hat in the Mix, German Car Shop New Location

mspecperformance

Hi guys, I just recently joined the forum however I have been on the site a few times over the last few months. Looks like a GREAT place with a lot of awesome information.

A little background history on my shop and I. My partner and I started the business in our early twenties from my backyard working on BMWs and over the years grew it into a full service shop servicing BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Mini with an emphasis on the BMW side. I came into this business not knowing anything about the business side and pretty much made "shot in the dark" decisions on everything pertaining to this business. We struggled terribly for the first 3-4 years and got into a bit of debt running the business until I discovered service advisor and auto shop management classes which helped tremendously. We most recently moved into a larger location partially due to necessity. Our previous location where we were at for close to 5 years was terrible small and run down however had a very nice curb appeal location (approx 1000 sqft of shop space, additional 1500 sqft lot and about 300 sqft office). Due to some property issues that the landlord was dealing with I was forced to find a new location for my business. I was lucky enough to find a very nice building to rent at a very reasonable price for the sqft (overall 5,000 sqft shop with additional 1000 sqft front lot). The only draw back it is not the easiest location to find and the curb appeal is not as good as my last shop. Since being in the new shop we completely renovated 80% of the building with epoxy floors, new lights, customer lounge/waiting area, office, bathroom etc. We are also have on order our first alignment system/rack and tire equipment which was a service we didn't offer previously. We have a loyal customer base and the response has been great. I am hoping with providing more services, we can capture a bit more of the auto repair market in our area.

Our main problem is however with the added space/overhead I am struggling to find good methods and drawing in new customers. I have been staying on top of our customer retention and feel that I have a decent footing on that end. I recently sent out a direct mailer through mudlick mail which has been a disappointment for me thus far.

In any case, although sometimes the stress of the business has been intense, the last week or so browsing the forum has given me some perspective on my own situation after reading other shops stories/posts/problems/solutions. I am hoping my ship turns around soon, I guess I have to be a little patient and keep being proactive on the business end of things.

It takes a lot to be in business today, and your story is similar to so many. Most of us started out the way you did, with great technical skills. I opened my business in 1980 and struggled financially for 10 years until I woke up to the fact that technical skills will never replace business skills. I was busy back then, very busy, but made little to no money.

In the 1990's I started to learn about business, customer service, learned about tracking key numbers, started an advertising/marketing programs and forced myself to be a business man, not just a man in business.

Most of us are very successful mechanically, but fail financially. Where ever your focus is, is where you will succeed in. The best advice I can give you is to work hard in the areas of business. Learn all you can about the numbers of the business, leadership, marketing and advertising. Pay close attention to your customers, especially your profile customer. AND, know your breakeven, and when you are making money. Set goals to become profitable and never view profit as a dirty word. Lastly, do not be everything to everyone but take care of your key customers as family.

Best of luck!

Thanks Joe! There has been a dramatic difference in the way I approach the business starting when I got some training however I know I have a LONG way to go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”