Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Safer Vehicles, Fewer Accidents; Good or Bad?

As a kid growing up in the auto business, my father and I would spend a lot of Saturday afternoon’s at Babe’s Body Shop. Babe was an old Army buddy; and as they reminisced about the old days I would wander around the shop and the yard and look at all the banged-up cars. I would also watch the body men in the shop pound a wrecked car back into shape. One thing Babe knew, there will always be a constant supply of banged-up cars.

Fast forward today: Is the body business seeing a decline in accidents? Are safer cars reducing the likelihood of accidents to a point that it is affecting business as usual? Fewer accidents are a good thing, overall. But what affect will this have for the future of the body business?

Find your domain and create your site at Weebly.com!

As a kid growing up in the auto business, my father and I would spend a lot of Saturday afternoon’s at Babe’s Body Shop. Babe was an old Army buddy; and as they reminisced about the old days I would wander around the shop and the yard and look at all the banged-up cars. I would also watch the body men in the shop pound a wrecked car back into shape. One thing Babe knew, there will always be a constant supply of banged-up cars.

Fast forward today: Is the body business seeing a decline in accidents? Are safer cars reducing the likelihood of accidents to a point that it is affecting business as usual? Fewer accidents are a good thing, overall. But what affect will this have for the future of the body business?

Watch the Total Out Rate. Modern vehicles are designed to sacrifice themselves for the safety of the occupants. I see many late model cars that drive and look repairable be totalled due to the cost of all the air bags,expensive HID headlamps, a/c condenser and radiator.Cars that just a few years ago would have been repaired are now recycled to make other products. I have also seen a rise in vehicles that have been wrecked but the customer could not afford full coverage insurance so off to pick a part it goes or they drive with the damage.

B)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      The Summer is in full swing, a time when many people take vacations and also spend time engaging in their favorite hobbies and activities. 
      How do you spend your free time?  
    • By carmcapriotto
      Craig Popp, First Tire & Automotive, 4 locations, Sugar Land and Katy, TX
      Key Talking Points
      Surround yourself with people that have experience  Do something that you know, and do it very well and you'll be successful  Buying additional locations- you need the customer base, the goodwill in the community, and the location that makes a big difference.  You can't do it all, you got to depend on your people, you got to empower them.  Make sure that when a customer comes in, your employees have the authority to decide to take care of that customer.  Do not hire the first person automatically. Don't fill a void, talk to them, get to know them, and spend some time before you hire that person. Set the expectations, set deadlines, and train them to be what you expect them to be. Sometimes doing the right things is hard, but still the right thing “You’re only as good as your weakest link”  Keeping a training resume  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      I will never forget the day when a customer, who didn't like the price, took cash out of his pocket, crumbled up the cash, and threw the money at me. 
      This customer clearly crossed the line, in my opinion. 
      Before I tell the rest of this "true" story, I would like to hear from you: How would you have handled this situation? 

• By Joe Marconi
      Having been a shop owner for 41 years, I have lived through many economic swings, both good and bad.  I can tell you that increases in prices, from gas to food to new car prices, can prove to be a good thing for auto repair shops. 
      People tend to tighten their belts during tough economic times, but also understand that they need their cars in the best shape they can be to save on fuel and save on costly breakdowns. 
      How can you help your customers save on fuel costs and focus on preventive maintenance?  
    • Heavy Duty Parts Fleetcross
    • By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Our Sponsors