Quantcast

Gonzo

Article: Check Engine Charlie - - - I'm sure a lot of shops/techs have a Charlie that stops by...

Check Engine Charlie

Charlie comes in every now and then. I guess you could say he's a regular but I think I would call him more of an opportunist when it comes to his car repairs. He'll go to an oil change place for oil changes, a tire shop for tires, a transmission shop for transmission, so on and so on. If there is an opportunity to get his car into a shop he'll make an appointment and get it in. But, the one thing he seems to always use me for is the check engine light.

Normally, most people don't pay that much attention to the check engine light unless it's staying on. Not Charlie, he's absolutely paranoid it will come on and stay on.

Somehow, some way somebody has told him that the check engine light is not a warning of a problem with the exhaust emissions or related engine/transmission problems but the precursor to a ticking bomb that will bring an end to his ride of rides. It's as if the check engine light is the trigger to the doom and gloom of his car. At times, Charlie thinks the check engine light has stayed on a longer than it should when he starts it up in the morning. This prompts an immediate phone call and a trip to the repair shop. With all these trips he's seen me use several different code readers, scanners, O-scopes, and laptops that I have at my disposal to check codes and related engine systems. There's times I think he just wants to see what new gadget I've got that I can hook up to his car. The more bells and whistles I throw out there the more he seems to show up with another reason for me to recheck his car. He can probably name a bunch of the scanners that I've used… seriously… he's been to the shop that many times.

Sometimes I wish he would take up antique car collecting. Go buy something old enough that it doesn't have a check engine light in it and see if he gets the idea that the entire universe doesn't revolve around a service light. It's not like he doesn't remember cars without check engine lights he just doesn't seem to understand that a car can operate without one anymore. Why he's even told me about an old car he drove while he was in college that leaked oil so bad that he had to keep a can or two with him at all times. Talk about something that sounds like it was on the verge of doom and gloom… also sounds like the typical college kids car. So you would think he would have some understanding of the inner workings of the automobile, but apparently once the service light came into the everyday vocabulary his understanding has wasted away just like the oil in that old car from college.

I've tried to explain to him about the meaning of the service light and about the various reasons for it to come on but it just doesn't seem to sink in. I'm hoping the day never comes that his old car actually does turn on the check engine light… because if it did… he'd probably worry himself all the way to a coronary and he would have to have the car towed in while I'd have to make a call to 911 and have him towed to the emergency room. Of course I hope that never happens, but with him I could see something along those lines.

I generally let him watch the scanners do their work or have him watch a graph while I check things under the hood. The other day he was concerned about his O2 sensors and wanted to know if they were working correctly because he thought he saw the check engine light pop on and then go right back off. There were no codes stored and I asked him if it happened when he first started it or after driving several miles. It was while he was driving for a bit and not when it first started.

"What difference does that make?" he asked.

I then explained to him about how the heater circuit operated to warm up the sensor and what the sensor actually did in relation to the fuel mixture. This only made him even more curious to what they did.

"Watch this Charlie. I'll graph the O2 sensors here on this scope and I'll show you the front sensor and its corresponding rear sensor. You'll see the voltage changes on the screen as well as the differences between the front and rear sensors at the same time on the screen," I told him.

"Fascinating, simply fascinating," he said, "But I don't see how that translates to fuel?"

The more I explained the more he seemed to be lost. He still seemed to be more concerned about what was going to happen with that check engine light.

I kept up with the explanation until I got to the point where he was just staring off into space and lost interest in me, the check engine light and the little graph moving up and down on the screen.

I don't know if he ever understood a thing I said, or for that matter has reconsidered the importance of the check engine light. All I know is that at some point in time somebody is going to tell him something stupid regarding the check engine light and he'll make another trip to the shop and watch the fascinating little lines bounce around on my scope screen.

No matter what I say, no matter what I do, old "Check Engine Charlie" will still listen to some B.S. from somebody out there and then head over to my shop for another diagnostics that will amount to nothing. Maybe I need to come up with my own B.S. to counteract what everyone else keeps telling him.

I guess it comes down to the old saying:

If ya can't dazzle them with brilliance… buffalo them with a little bull.

There's a Charlie everywhere.... harmless and at the same time a little annoying. Gotta love em though. I'm glad you like the stories, I also enjoy reading your comments.

I hope my stories brings you a little sanity into your busy days as much as it does for me. At least after reading one of them you realize you're not the only one that has odd customers or weird situations at your shop. thanx again Gonzo

Click here to view the article

• Similar Forum Topics

• The $19.95 Oil Change Offer

Yesterday, went for a drive through North Jersey, was very concerned to see that independent shops are putting permanent signs with the $19.95 oil change offers, the $59 A/C recharge, and the $5 dollar flat fix. This reeks of desperation, clearly the industry is coming due for a strong correction. At my shops this month we are starting to see price resistance from the lower income segment, we are having to exert price flexibility for price discovery which we are finding to be 10% to 20% from list pricing. The mid to upper segments are still going strong.

By HarrytheCarGeek, in General Automotive Discussion

• 95 replies
    • Article: Restoration for the Mechanic - modern repairs, old mechanic

Restoration for the Mechanic Electrical issues on today’s cars have certainly taken  center stage.  Mechanical issues are still there too, but  it’s not uncommon to have a mechanical problem be  diagnosed, monitored, or calibrated by some electronic  means.  You just can’t get away from the electrical  if you’re in the automotive repair business these days.   It’s taken over just about every facet of the automobile.         Today’s mechanics have become something entirely  different from the stereotypical mechanic from just a  few decades ago.  It’s not that long ago when the  electrical section of the repair manuals were just a  chapter or two, today… its volumes and volumes of  schematics and diagnostic procedures.  I’m old enough  to remember when points and condensers were still  the norm, and I’ve watched the industry go from  electronic ignition to today’s electronic jungle of wires  and processors. We’ve definitely come a long way with  the technology.   Even though I work on all these newfangled electrical wizardry systems on the modern car, deep down I’m still the kid who got a kick out of tearing down an old junker and putting it back together.  Now, I’m surrounded by modules, proximity keys, and sensors.  Occasionally it’s kind of nice just to step away from the computer and just turn a wrench or two. I look forward to those simpler kinds of jobs, the ones that need a craftsman’s touch and not a box of transistors and capacitors to figure out what to do.  Back to a time when a driver was more mechanical involved in the process of operating the vehicle.   Heating vents with levers and cables, or a hand choke that needed just the right touch to get it started.  No electronics, no service light, just the essentials.  (For you younger techs, I’m referring to the days when you actually had to unlock a door with a key.)     I still marvel at the ingenuity and engineering of those times. I guess it’s one of the reasons why I like going to old car and steam engine shows so much.  It’s all about the mechanics for me.  Electronics are great, but to see the early mechanical devices that were commonplace a century ago still amazes me.  How they figured it out, and how they made it work is shear brilliance.  (If you ever get a chance to study some of those early mechanical systems, you might be surprised how things were accomplished prior to the computer age. It’s quite fascinating… well at least to me it is.)      It’s great to be able to step back once in a while and just be a mechanic.  Back when things were rebuilt and not just replaced with new. There’s a certain satisfaction in taking a broken mechanical device and making it functional again.  It’s those jobs that after you’ve wrestled the components into place, and everything is finished you realize that you’re covered in grease, but for some reason you’ve got this big smile on your face. It’s the look of accomplishment, a smile of pride in a job well done.  And while you’re cleaning up the tools, you look over at the finished project still smiling, knowing you’re done and can move onto the next project.  It just doesn’t compare to finishing up on a modern car when the last thing to do is watch that blue line steadily move across the computer screen, waiting for it to say “Task completed”.   Not that I’m putting down the modern car, no far from it.  It’s just nice to take a break once in a while from the technical mumbo-jumbo and just be a mechanic for a change.  Even though it’s pretty awesome to solve a difficult electrical issue, it’s hard to beat a good old fashion mechanical repair.  For me, when a restoration project shows up at the shop I get a chance to turn off the laptop and open the toolbox.   These restoration jobs are just as much for the customer as they are for me.  It’s a restoration of some of my old almost forgotten mechanical abilities. (Yea, I still got it…)     We put a lot of trust in the modern electronics, something the engineers and designers of those automobiles from a few decades ago never even though of.  Their own ingenuity and craftsmanship kept them going.  Components were built to be repaired not replaced.  I think it’s safe to say that a car from 50 years ago is more likely to start and run in another 50 years but I seriously doubt a car from today would have the same luck. There again, it might be something a technician/mechanic of that era might figure out how to do by then.  Me I’ll still stick with being a mechanic/technician … I still like the physical repair aspect of the job.     The future of electronics in today’s cars is constantly changing; sometimes we notice the changes while other times you can’t physically see them.  Sometimes all it takes is a little R&R on an old jalopy just to make me remember how far we’ve come.  In the meantime, the latest restoration job is done so it’s time to go for a test drive.    I’ll get back to the laptop and the modern car world just as soon as I get all the tools cleaned up… it might take a bit though … I’m still admiring the restoration job and I’ve got some more smilin’ to do.  
      View full article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 2 replies
    • Repairs on your own vehicles

Wondering how you all handle repair work to your own vehicles. How do you pay, how do you handle parts costs, write an RO or not, how does it affect gross sales. I currently write an RO, pay the guys time just like any other job, but cost the parts to myself. The RO is for zero sales but has tech time charged to it. Wondering how others do it. I also have too many vehicles...

By gandgautorepair, in General Automotive Discussion

• 8 replies
    • Article: Clamps and Batteries - The repairs vary as much as the styles of batteries do.

Clamps and Batteries (Some of the ways I've seen battery clamps installed on  cars over the years...  there are some positive and some negative aspects to them... )                The first time I saw a hose clamp holding the  positive cable onto the battery I just couldn’t believe it.   Nobody prepared me for things like this.  It’s not  the kind of thing covered in tech schools, or in one  of those “how-to-fix-your-car” manuals.  It’s something  that will surprise you the first time you see it… but  then it happens again.             A few months later, I open the hood on another car,  and low and behold… it’s a pair of grip pliers attached the terminal. This time I took the pliers up to the customer and told him what I found.  He didn’t want the pliers back… OK, then… I’ll clean them up, and put them in my tool box.             Now I’ve got a collection of these crazy battery clamp contraptions.  They’ve kept showing up over the years without fail; from screws and nails tightening a worn out clamp to some foreign object taking the place of the original clamps.  Ya just never know.       I think the grip pliers are probably the most popular form of substitution.  Not much use as pliers anymore, the teeth are usually worn or something else is wrong with them.  But, I don’t want to just throw them away… I always think I’ll find some use for them later… never do of course.       Wouldn’t it make more sense to replace the clamp when it’s time with an appropriate type of replacement clamp?  And, it’s not like some of these “wiz-bang” contraptions were just put on yesterday, oh no… some of these creations have huge amounts of corrosion and “fuzz” built up on the terminals.        There must be a misconception about how a battery clamp does its job?  Has to be, why else would I see this so often, and it’s not always on the good old hunting truck or the farm truck that hardly ever makes it out of the fields.  It’s the everyday soccer mom’s car or the exotic odd-shape-battery-style cars, either.             Something else to think about… some thought has gone into these “home engineered” clamps.  It took a lot of time and effort to accomplish these inventive forms of electrical fasteners.  I’ve even had a car that someone had taken strips of a soda can and used them as spacers between the clamp and the post.  This wasn’t just a quick little effort mind you.  Somebody had to think about it, conjure up a plan… get a pair of tin snips, cut out strips from a soda can at just the right height to match the clamp and then carefully place a few of them into the gap.             Before ya knew it, the clamp was tight again… a genius at work I tell you…a genius!… maybe not MENSA material, but a genius for sure.        One time I had a car in where somebody used a high voltage connector for a battery clamp.  The kind you would find on high voltage overhead electrical lines.  It was a splice clamp used to hold two lines together.  Apparently it was the only thing handy, and it did work; in fact must have worked for quite some time… I couldn’t tell what it was until I removed the almost two inches of corrosion build up.  I don’t know what kind of material this clamp was made out of, but battery acid sure liked it a lot.      Then there was this rocket scientist attempt at improving on the old battery clamp… he used a hacksaw blade and cut the post down the middle.  Then put the clamp back on with a small steel wedge down into the crack he made with the hacksaw.  From the pounding the top of the battery had taken it looked like the guy used a sledge hammer to knock the little wedge in place. Of course, it wasn’t long before the battery started to leak acid out of the post.  What a mess…       A real favorite of mine are the ones that tighten, and tighten, and tighten the bolt clamp until that little bolt won’t go one thread tighter.  Then bring the car in thinking they have a major electrical problem, because at times the starter will click, or they’ll lose all power to the vehicle.  The place I’ll always look at first are the clamps. 99% of time it’s a simple clamp problem, especially when I can remove the battery clamp off the post without turning the bolt.  (Yo’ dude… that clamp is made of lead… it will stretch and deform out of shape.  You can tighten all you want but it ain’t going to get any better.)        Now let’s talk battery size… really… is this all that hard to figure out? If the battery in the car had the positive post on the right, and you put a battery in that had the positive post on the left… uhmmm… do ya think ya might have a problem?  Ya gotta put the right size back in… just ‘cause it fit… doesn’t mean it “fits”.              The old air cooled VW is one that comes to mind.  I’ve lost count of how many of those I’ve rewired after a too tall battery was installed and burnt the whole back end of the car.    It never ceases to amaze me how a simple thing like a battery or a clamp can become such a traumatic fiasco in a car.  Just boggles the mind at all the variations of craziness I’ve seen over the years with battery installations and repairs.              Many years ago a customer brought in a 75’ MBenz that his grandson had put the battery in backwards.  The car was ruined, but not completely… it could be rewired and repaired, but the cost was more than he wanted to deal with.  I bought the car off of him as is, and tore it down and rewired it. I drove it for several years, and then later gave it to my daughter to use.               Battery replacement should be a basic simple repair; however, after seeing some of the creative ways people create their own connections or how they install them, looks like a complete loss of common sense to me.  I’d like to think simple is the word to explain it, but simple doesn’t even begin to describe it all.   These days I just laugh at the marvels of these back yard engineering feats.  It’s hard to keep a straight face when you get back to the front counter to explain to the customer that a paperclip and two bread twist ties aren’t strong enough to keep the cable attached to the battery.        It’s some of the best entertainment at the shop.  Gotta love em’. Just to let ya know, I’ve already got enough grip pliers, old hose clamps, coat hangers, screws, wire nuts, small bench vices, ratcheting wood clamps, fence pliers, clothes pins, meat skewers, and c-clamps to last me a lifetime, so if you would please, come up with a few new ones for me…  I’ve got room in my collection for more…Oh, and I could use a few more laughs too.     
      View full article

• 1 reply
    • Article: Joe Friday Diagnostics - AGE check--remember Dragnet with Sgt. Joe Friday? Here's my version of the Sarge diagnosing a car

Joe Friday Diagnostics                                      "How would Sgt. Friday explain auto repair and diagnostics… que the music: "      The story you’re about to read is true; the names have been  changed to protect the innocent.       Monday morning, it was cold that day. I was working day shift out  of the repair division. There’s a suspicious vehicle at the front of the shop.   A customer walks in the door. I’ll take it from here.  I’m a mechanic, the name’s Friday.      It was a 2003 Ford, 5.4 liter, fully loaded and sounded like it was running rough.  The lady came to the counter.      “Good Morning ma’am, what can I do for you,” I said to the complaintant.      “Yes, I’m here about my car,” she answered.     “There’s a problem with the car, I see. What can you tell me about it?” I asked, in my usual non-threatening, but confident monotone voice.      “I was on my way to deliver my recyclables to the east side collection area, because I’m a concerned citizen you know, when my car started to make a coughing and clattering sound.  I thought I would bring it in to have it checked out,” the owner answered.     “Coughing and clattering, hmm, not a problem. I’ll get it investigated, I can interrogate the pursuant this morning, especially for a concerned citizen such as yourself,” I answered while maintaining my professionalism.     “Well, do you need any other information from me?” she asked.     “Just the facts ma’am, just the facts,” I said.     “The check engine light came on,” she reported.     “This could be of some help. Sounds like a possible 0300 (engine misfire).  But I’ll check it out first, I’ll need to finish my investigation in order to give you any proper results,” I said to her, while my pen was busy jotting down the facts onto the always present handy notepad.       She left the car with me for further interrogations.  Using the scanner made the results easy to locate. It wasn’t long before I got an answer.  It was a P0302 in progress… misfire on no#2 cylinder… normally an open and shut case.      09:30 Am, working on the assumption that the perpetrator was somewhere near the 2nd cylinder; I went in for further investigations.  I checked the usual suspects. Pulling the plug didn’t yield any new clues.  The plug was good and answered all the standard questions.  The coil was a more likely suspect; a simple test could answer the problem.        I’ll set up a little sting operation by using a decoy. Taking the nearest coil and replacing it with the suspected faulty coil, and put the known good coil on the other plug.  I was hoping to see the miss move to the other cylinder.  It didn’t. In fact it was gone.       10:05 Am, Now the challenge was on.  I’ll have to go back over my facts and check the crime scene again.  There’s something I must have overlooked that might be the key to this investigation.  Two things come up as good possibles; the connection or terminals at the coil, or the spark plug boot attached to the coil.  The plug boot had a good alibi… it had just been changed, in fact so was the spark plug.  That left the coil connection.        A more in-depth interrogation of the connector is needed.  My years of technical diagnostics work told me to look closer at the wire and the connector.  The guilty party in this case appears to be one of the wires at the connector.  It was barely hanging onto the housing.  Only the plastic sheath was still connected, and the wire itself was not answering to any of the standard questioning or interrogative tactics.       Under the intense glow of the high powered shop light the investigation continued.  Resorting to some strong arm tactics I pulled on the wire while using a few choice investigative words, the plastic sheathing kept getting longer and longer.  Soon, it snapped under the pressure to expose the desperado for the perpetrator it really was.       11:45 Am, The repair was completed, and tested to verify the repairs were effective.  The car in question was back with its rightful owner by the end of the day.  I now can close the file on this one, another job well done.     In conclusion: With the P0302 in question deleted from the computer history, the coil connector was then convicted of failure to cooperate. With her car back on the road she could once again be a productive concerned citizen of this great metropolis.       Case closed and now, back to the front desk waiting for that next problem to come through the door.  This city is full of broken, non-maintained, and poorly running cars.  As a concerned citizen I’ll be on the lookout for these suspicious misfires and other infractions of the auto world.      There are thousands of men and women in this city, who know that being an auto tech is an thankless, grease covered job that's done everyday without any fan fare.   Then again, I'm part of that glamourless, grease covered world... my names Friday, I'm a mechanic.      
      View full article

• 1 reply
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors