Quantcast

Joe Marconi

What Type of Person Do You Portray to Others?

What Type of Person Do You Portray to Others?

Did you ever wonder how others view you? How your employees perceive you? As shop owner and the leader of your company, your actions, moods and personality will dictate the overall mood of your company and can have a direct influence on the success or possible failure of your business.

The energy you have, whether negative or positive will affect how others around you feel and they will respond to the type of energy you send off. If you are gloomy and walk around as if the world is coming to an end, it just might, because you have set the tone for destruction. If you are upbeat and positive, this will have a very positive affect on your business and even your home life.

We all know that life brings challenges and that sometimes more things go wrong than right. And, as a shop owner for 31 years it’s sometime very hard to walk around with a smile on my face when payroll exceeds more than what I have in the bank.

All I can tell you is that if you are a negative person (and you may not even know it) you will bring more negative consequences into your life. If you are a positive person, who sees the glass as half full, you stand a much better chance at success and happiness, both in your business and home life.

It’s like the boy in little league who goes up to bat and tells himself over and over, “I’m going to strike out again, I never get a hit with this guy pitching, I know I am going to strike out”. And guess what happens? He strikes out.

Life is too short, start each day with a positive attitude and enthusiasm. The people around (customers, friends, family and employees) will feed off of your positive energy and then great things will be possible.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      A few weeks back I had a problem with my refrigerator.  I got a referral and called an appliance repair company. I called three times and each time I called this is what happened: "C and E appliance, please hold."  I was put on hold three times for about 5 minutes. After being put on hold each time, a women would say, "What's the problem?"  No engagement, no sign of interest for me the customer, no signs of caring.  I gave the women a brief description of the problem and each time she told me someone would call me back.  Well, no one did.
      So, I called for the 4th time, and as the person answered the phone I said, "DO NOT PUT ME ON HOLD."  There was silence, so I continued.  I explained to her that she has spoken to me three times,  I left messages three times and three times you told me that someone would call me back.  She replied,  "You are talking to the wrong person, if you have any complaints, write a letter to my boss, after all he won't listen to me anyway."  I hung up the phone and called another company.
      The lesson and takeaway here is simple: Who's answering your phone?  The wrong people on the phone in your shop can kill your business.  Have meetings with your people. Make sure you review your phone skills policy. If you don't have one, create one.  Empower your people to people to handle issues. And make sure you log every phone call. If you feel you have a problem, start recording phone calls. 
      Your phone is your lifeline to future business.  So, please ask yourself....Who's answering your phone? 

• By lakesidetire
      When do you know it's time to hire someone? Who do you hire ? Just a tech to do light work like or a mechanic to do the more profitable jobs? Is it best to 1099 them or what? I looked at my numbers for the month of December 2014 and it was on the 10th of the month this year. My numbers so far this month has doubled for the whole month from last year. I have to Joe for having this site to help use network and help each other. The things I've learned so far is what is making a difference at my shop right now and it's just the beginning for me!! Thanks guys!!
    • By mspecperformance
      So I have my Service Advisor off to training for a few days in San Diego and that means I am manning the front end. I am pretty dang good at talking to people I would like to think but had to present some pricing to a customer and all he kept saying when a price for a job was given was, "Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww." I just realized how much I dislike talking to people in a Service Advisor capacity. Like I really can't stand it LOL. That is not to say I don't like speaking to my customers because I do. I just hate the daily grind of dealing with the one off customer that has unrealistic expectations that no one can meet. God bless all your service advisors out there. I am about ready to hire my second one just so I never have to do this again haha.

Moral of the story is if you ever have that type of feeling then its high time to get a service advisor! Make sure they are a people person too, that helps!!!
    • By ncautoshop
      Has anyone used a marketing service like Alldata market or advances motorev?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• By insomniac
      This question is more for owners who are not also mechanics working on the cars. Maybe your the owner/ service writer. When you calculate all the hours you put in are you the highest paid per hour employee of the shop? A lot of times I feel the more money that comes in the more money that goes out. The parts bills, payroll, insurances, taxes, marketing, etc... When the dust settles, figuring all the hours you put in, are you the highest paid per hour employee of the shop?
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors