Quantcast

Paper Dolls and Corralling Cows

Gonzo

Bob was an old regular customer, a real charitable kind of guy. He did a lot of work for, "Meals on Wheels, Churches," and several other organizations. A real caring kind of guy, but when it came to cars… he knew nothing, nothing at all.

One day he came into the shop with his early 80's Porsche with a weird starting problem. It would start great if you didn't shut it down for very long. Leave it off for more than an hour or so, and it would crank and crank before it came back to life again. Bob, being his usual cheerful self, waited in the lobby; while I took a look at his car.

That particular day my two daughters (Katie and Mandy) were on summer break from school, and were hanging out in the lobby while I worked in the shop. My wife was running the office at the time too; it was a little family day for all of us. Old Dad tooling away in the shop, the girls cutting out paper dolls, and mom keeping track of us all.

Bob was quite happy to help the girls cut out the paper dolls and draw faces on them. He seemed to enjoy the girls and there's no doubt the girls enjoyed the attention. I, on the other hand, was trying to figure out what was going on with his old Porsche. I spent a lot of time on this one, as it wasn't making any sense that it would run so well, but be so hard to restart. I checked several things that I thought might cause the problem, but still didn't have any answers. That is until I checked the fuel pressure.

On this older Porsche there wasn't a Schrader valve to screw a pressure gauge into. I had to remove a fuel line and install a pressure gauge "in-line" to read the actual fuel pressure. While it was running the fuel pressure was spot on. When I shut the car off the fuel pressure would slowly come down to its "rest" pressure and hold. I left the gauge installed, and went to work on other jobs in the shop, only coming back to it every now and then to see if it was dropping or not.

About 30 minutes later the fuel pressure was down to near zero. I reached in and turned the key. Strangely enough, the fuel pressure didn't bounce back up as quick as I thought it should, but after a couple of cranks the pressure was back up to normal and the car started fine. I knew to test this out further I was going to need a lot more time, so I thought I would run up front and see how much time Bob had today.

To my surprise, there was Bob sitting in one of the lobby chairs, paper dolls pinned to him from head to toe, and the two girls were not only drawing faces on the dolls, but also all over Bob. Up and down both arms were all kinds of scribbled notes. He was having the time of his life… laughing, giggling, with a smile from ear to ear. My wife had leaned over the counter about then and informed me the ink tattoos were a mutual idea between Bob and the girls. Hey, they were having fun, and Bob was content to sit out the rest of the day with the girls, so I was free to test all I wanted.

After several hours of trying different things to the car: clamping off the return line, letting it sit longer, checking the injectors for leaks, etc… I finally nailed down the cause of the problem. Another shop had just changed the fuel pump, and the new one didn't have the check valve on the end of it. I rushed into the office to tell Bob. He was still smiling, but not nearly as covered with paper dolls. Now they were drawing and telling stories. I had to interrupt their fun to let Bob know what I found. Being the ever-so-courteous individual he was, he didn't want to tell me he had the car out of town last week when it broke down, and had to have the new fuel pump put in.

I told him I'd take care of the problem, and that he could get back to his play time with the girls. After I exchanged the fuel pump with one that had the check valve it started every time, any time. Now the next thing to do was to explain it to Bob.

"What does a check valve do?" he asked.

I tried to explain it, but Bob wasn't grasping the concept. That's when one of my girls mentioned to him, "It's like a one way gate, Bob." (Smart kid) With that I had a way to explain it to Bob.

"Bob, let's say you have two corrals, one full of cows and one without any cows. You want to move the cows to the other corral so you have to open the gate. When you move the cows to the empty corral they can push the gate back open by themselves. But if you put them in the opposite corral, they can only push against the gate because it won't open from that direction. It's the same thing your car does with gasoline in the fuel line," I told my paper doll covered friend.

"Hey, I understand that… it makes sense now… so it's all because of cows that I'm able to start my car. Wow, I never knew."

You know, he's such a nice guy, and the girls loved having him in the shop. I didn't have the heart to tell him anything different. Cows, paper dolls, and his arms covered in little girl scribbles, there's already enough things going on that anything more technical wasn't going to help a bit, just leave it be. So if cows and a corral gate was a good enough explanation for him, it's good enough for me.

To this day if I pass a farm and I see a herd of cattle lined up at a corral gate I think of him. Standing there in the lobby, tattooed in ink scribbles and paper dolls pinned all over him. I know Katie and Mandy will never forget him either. He's one of a kind.

Quite a moo-oving guy.

I hope you enjoy my stories, if you do, leave a comment. It's the only way I know whether or not it's good enough to send onto my editors for publication. If you didn't know it, ASO members see all my latest stories before anyone else. Your input helps me put the final touches on the stories before they go out to the public.

So keep those comments coming. Don't forget to visit my website www.gonzostoolbox.com ENJOY! !

View full article

Edited by Gonzo

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      This week on the ARM Podcast Brian talks about why stock website content doesn’t work. In this episode you’ll learn what he means by stock content, why it doesn’t work, whether or not it hurts you to have stock content on your website, and how to tell if you have it on your website.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      Show Notes with Timestamps
      What is stock content? Stock content is duplicate content Stock content is generic content Does stock content help? How do you know if your website has stock content?  
      How To Get In Touch

Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected]
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By tyrguy
      Hey all,
      Retired 5+ years ago and spend half my time down here in Florida. Haven't been on the forum in a few years. When I am up home in Ohio the tire dealer that bought my business and  rents my building from me takes good care of all my vehicle service needs. My Mini needs a few things and I'd like to hook up with someone from this forum close to me down here.
      Belt is squealing so probably needs a new belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Also need a new right side window motor.
      Anybody close to Fort Myers Beach?
      Mark Defer 330-603-5127
    • By carmcapriotto
      It's time to find the hidden costs of 'busyness' in auto repair shops. It's not just about the work you do; it's about the work you're actually getting paid for. Measuring technician productivity is crucial - because if you're not measuring it, you can't manage it. It's a wake-up call for shops everywhere to stop leaving money on the table. Bill Haas, Haas Performance Consulting, Bill’s previous episodes HERE. Murray Voth, RPM Training. Listen to Murray’s previous episodes HERE Maylan Newton, ESI- Educational Seminars Institute. Maylan’s previous Episodes HERE Show Notes: The Importance of Shop Productivity (00:01:41) Discussion on the significance of measuring productivity and ensuring work is paid for. Challenges in Understanding Business Numbers (00:05:39) Discussion on the lack of understanding of business numbers and pricing strategies in the automotive industry. Implementing Time Clock Management (00:09:12) The importance of implementing time clock management and its impact on shop productivity. Setting Expectations and Accountability (00:11:14) The need for setting expectations and holding employees accountable for their performance. Challenges in Coaching and Accountability (00:12:25) The difficulty in coaching individuals who resist change and accountability in their business practices. Labor Rates and Coaching (00:18:40) Discussion on the impact of labor rates and the value of coaching in the automotive industry. Comparing Labor Rates (00:20:17) Debate on the practice of comparing labor rates and the importance of charging enough to pay employees. Technician Interviews and Billing (00:21:50) Perspective on technician interviews and billing practices, including misconceptions and lack of understanding. Business Education and Financial Planning (00:26:01) Importance of business education, financial planning, and understanding where the money goes in an automotive shop. Year-End Spending and Tax Strategies (00:27:16) Discussion on year-end spending, tax strategies, and the significance of paying fair taxes. The value of pricing (00:35:42) Discussion on the importance of presenting value over price in a competitive marketplace. The market for different pricing strategies (00:39:18) Highlighting the existence of markets for both top-tier pricing and lowest cost options, with a comparison to the tool market. The challenge of selling value (00:40:10) Debating the myth of offering better value and emphasizing the importance of growth and selling maintenance services. Defining fair pricing and value (00:40:40) Challenging the concept of fair pricing and discussing the perception of value in the eye of the beholder. Improving customer communication and value presentation (00:41:07) Emphasizing the importance of showcasing the quality of services, such as brake jobs, and the value they provide to customers. Challenges in selling diagnostic services (00:43:00) Discussion on the difficulties in selling diagnostic services and the need to shift from focusing on hours to tangible products and value. Efficiency in customer interactions and value communication (00:46:12) Emphasizing the need for efficient information gathering and value communication to customers during the intake process. The need to change industry mindset (00:52:07) Encouraging a shift in mindset within the automotive repair industry to drive change and success. The shop's transformation (00:54:08) Discussion on the positive changes and experiences after implementing changes in the shop. Clientele shift (00:55:00) The impact of changes on the clientele and the feedback received from customers. The value of preaching (00:56:06) Exploring the significance of preaching and the positive outcomes it brings in terms of leadership and company growth. Reward and challenges (00:57:00) Acknowledging the challenges and rewards of making significant changes in the business.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        
    • By carmcapriotto
      This week on Business by the Numbers, Hunt explores the complexities of charitable contributions in tax season:
      • Understanding Charitable Contributions: The critical differences between cash and non-cash donations, and their respective impacts on tax returns.
      • Navigating Deductions: Learn about what qualifies as a deductible charity, including the specifics of GoFundMe contributions and the importance of fair market value in non-cash donations.
      • Business Donation Myths Debunked: Uncover common misconceptions about business-related donations, from vehicle repairs to furniture and equipment, and how to accurately claim these on taxes.
      • Tax Season Strategies: Gain valuable insights into the proper documentation and reporting strategies for maximizing your deductions and staying compliant.
      • Expert Advice and Resources: Benefit from expert advice and learn how our partners contribute to making informed financial decisions.
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network
    • By carmcapriotto
      Ready to dive into the critical topics of safety and compliance within the automotive service aftermarket? Tom Herrmann shares valuable insights on maintaining a safe work environment, including hazard communication, safety data sheets, labels for chemicals, and the importance of employee training and clear safety policies. Tom emphasizes the role of safety as a form of salesmanship, advocating for selling the importance of safety to employees rather than focusing on potential fines and violations. The episode aims to instill a sense of responsibility in listeners, highlighting the importance of safety to prevent accidents and maintain a productive workforce. Tom Herrmann, Small Business Safety & Compliance Company, LLC.
      Show Notes
      Tom's background and experience (00:01:28) Tom shares his experience as a safety officer for the federal government and a compliance officer in the dealership network. Hazard communication and safety data sheets (00:06:42) Tom explains the importance of hazard communication and safety data sheets for chemicals in the workplace. Training and safety policies (00:05:37) Tom emphasizes the importance of training employees and having clear safety policies in place. Labels for chemicals and emergency action plan (00:13:50) Tom discusses the necessity of proper labeling for chemicals and the importance of an emergency action plan for workplace safety. Hazard Communications (00:15:04) Discussion on the importance of hazard communication and the need for updated safety data sheets for chemicals. Lockout Tagouts (00:15:32) Explanation of lockout tagout procedures for equipment safety, including a real-life incident and the importance of proper training. Equipment Safety (00:16:44) Importance of tagging and locking out malfunctioning equipment for safety, with examples of floor jacks and bench grinders. Bench Grinders and Eye Protection (00:17:37) Discussion on the necessity of eye protection when using bench grinders and the importance of following safety standards. Safety Inspections (00:19:37) Importance of regular safety inspections to identify and address potential hazards in the workplace. Eyewash Stations (00:20:11) The significance of eyewash stations and their compliance with safety standards for emergency eye flushing. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (00:21:28) Discussion on the responsibility of shop owners to provide and enforce the use of personal protective equipment for employees. Respiratory Protection (00:23:36) Importance of respiratory protection, medical evaluations, and fit testing for employees working with hazardous chemicals. Life Safety and Lift Safety (00:26:55) Overview of life safety measures, including the certification of automotive lifts and the importance of proper vehicle positioning on lifts. Certifications for Lift Installation (00:28:37) Discussion on the certification process for companies that install lifts and the availability of qualified and certified lift inspectors. Proactive Safety Measures (00:30:09) Emphasizing the importance of proactivity in safety measures, including monthly inspections, resources available, and reaching out for assistance. Safety Specialist Training (00:31:19) Exploring the idea of having a safety specialist in the shop and the training options available through OSHA education centers. Equipment Maintenance and Compliance (00:31:55) Focus on the importance of maintaining equipment, including lockouts, respiratory protection, PPE, and machine guarding, as well as the significance of checking fire extinguishers. Finding Safety Consultants (00:32:28) Tips for finding safety consultants, including searching for safety consultants online and reaching out to OSHA for assistance. Importance of Safety Compliance (00:33:16) Highlighting the significance of prioritizing safety compliance to prevent work-related injuries and ensure employee safety. Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX and NAPA TRACS Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections      

• Our Sponsors